X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jogging with weights

I been jogging/walking with a heavy backpack, I was thinking of add some more weight to it but was curious if anyone here does this? Pros/cons? I figured I'd get use to working out with weight on my back prior to leaving next month. Can't be that bad for you, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right? Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Jogging with weights

dude i may not know much but stop jogging with a pack immediately please. If you are going to do it with a pack just ruck/walk with it an occasional trot for a few is good too. If you want to run with weights get some ankle weights or a weight vest. By running with a heavy pack you risk hurting your back and you never want that from straining a muscle to pulling a muscle it will hurt like ****. By using a weight vest you will evenly dist. the weight across your core which will help.

Comment

Be very careful when jogging with weights because you migh cause wiplash to certain parts of your body.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
        what doesn't kill you only
        delays the inevitable.

Comment

Whats the difference from jogging with a pack alone then what we will be doing through basic and AIT? I appreciate the feedback but I'm curious to know how it is bad for you, just on your back strapped on tight so its not bouncing around or anything, doesn't hurt my back, yet... I figure I will be doing tougher stuff in training so whats 20lbs on my back while I jog..
          Last edited by orarng_11b; February 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Im pretty sure that in BCT they wont throw it at you right out the gate. They more than likely will show you proper tech. Im just giving the advice because Ive read from sgt volkin or w.e his name is to not run with any weight on your back because it may cause problems but im just giving some advice i'd rather you get a weight vest if you can or ankle weights

Comment

Mainly it's a great amount of stress on your joints. Ya know how fat people always have joint issues...

At basic you'll hardly ever have to run with a ruck on, only on the first few rucks when people don't keep up and won't fall out, then there's a lot of the slinky effect. But still not very much running with added weight.

Rucking 5-10 miles with weight would be great way to toughen your feet and build some endurance. But to get better at running just run harder, don't add weight.

Comment

Ok sounds good to me, make sense. I guess I will stop with the added weight and just run with a camel pack. I can understand the 5-10mi ruck with pack but your right, I am focusing on endurance and trying to get my running improved prior to basic. Thanks for the comments and looking out for my poor joints, tough being 6'3''.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
                  Ok sounds good to me, make sense. I guess I will stop with the added weight and just run with a camel pack. I can understand the 5-10mi ruck with pack but your right, I am focusing on endurance and trying to get my running improved prior to basic. Thanks for the comments and looking out for my poor joints, tough being 6'3''.
                  lol we are in the same boat im 6'1 6'2 depending on the MEPS lol

Comment

You are both Midgets!!! 6'5 Baby!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                      You are both Midgets!!! 6'5 Baby!!!
                      Big SOB, Phantom.
                      I feel for your joints. But I'd say anyone over 6'3'' are big bodies in the army. There are a few guys at RSP under 5'8'', kinda weird marching behind them...

Comment

6'3" here as well. Never felt like a tall person... Too many years playing quarterback with lineman 6'6" and taller.

Comment

The thing that gets me is the aircraft, jumping from C-23s is horrible, the others are fine, but I am almost to the point of avoiding the 23.

Comment

5' 6"

character limit.

Comment

Originally posted by qcomer
                              5' 6"

character limit.
                              Well, hey, if you want to go Airborne, Phantom could tandem jump with you as his pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X