Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on gaining weight and passing PT?

What did I say? I an not correct that often, if I did do something right, I will print the screen and frame it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
      In all seriousness, limit your cardio, and lift more weights with the barbell.
      The kid can't pass the run and you want him to limit cardio? C'mon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
        What did I say? I an not correct that often, if I did do something right, I will print the screen and frame it!!!

That size really doesn't matter. I look like arnold, but I can't hardly pass the run.

Military fit is not bodybuilder fit. If we had a weight lifting pt test, I would enjoy that, but don't get me out on a track.

Bulking up is not a good idea. Just go for the skinny runner look.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
          The kid can't pass the run and you want him to limit cardio? C'mon.
          frequentaly I do not read all of the post. I focused on the bulking up.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
            Unless you are flagged for being underweight, don't worry about getting bigger just yet. You have to pass your PT test. In that light, work on P/U and S/U and running. Google some routines and just work hard.

I could go on all day, but a few quick tips:

- Only the first 30 degrees of the 90-degree sit-up motion focuses on the abdominal muscles (and if you're only going down to your shoulder blades, it's less than that), so your hip flexors are what need the most work (i.e., flutter kicks, leg lifts, adductors).
            - Do as many varieties of push-ups as you can. Buy the Perfect Push Up, it works.
            - If you're struggling at running at that size, work primarily on your stride (you should be able to fly like a gazelle if you have good form) and your VO2 max (i.e., interval/sprint training - which will also help you not lose too much weight).

On creatine, yes, it's allowed. It'll help you in your P/U and S/U events. Creatine is great and hopefully you'll gain weight with it (I don't gain much, if at all, but it helps me work harder and longer). There are hundreds of creatine products and a dozen-plus different chemical varieties. If you're cost-conscious, just buy straight, bulk creatine monohydrate. Otherwise, try different stuff.

Good luck.
            creatine might be allowed but how can you access this in basic,
            and i suppose its not to much, but 100 p/u in under 2 min .
            is that really what they ask of you .
            me my self im like 6'4 185
            and push ups really aint **** but i dont think im at the 100 in under 2 min mark yet , maybe 80 - 90

how long is the running part ?
            Last edited by NEW GUY; February 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I've had the same problem since I've been in highschool. I had to struggle to stay in my weight for football. So I used to eat my normal 3 meals a day, plus.... and this was really hard to choke down sometimes, But I would eat a jar of peanut butter after school, go to practice, and then go home and eat dinner.
              Belive it or not, that jar of PB + my normal meals+ working out, help me put on and keep on an extra 10 pounds. I know it sounds gross, and it proberly wouldnt be that helpfull if you had allergys to peanuts....., but I still do it to this day lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                frequentaly I do not read all of the post. I focused on the bulking up.
                That's kid of disingenuous, no? It's should be about good information and answering questions accurately, not padding your post count.

Comment

Originally posted by NEW GUY
                  creatine might be allowed but how can you access this in basic,
                  He's in ROTC, so he doesn't have to worry about that. It'll give him a boost in energy and maybe size. Given that he's a little down in the dumps about it, could be a good psychological boost to boot.

Originally posted by NEW GUY
                  how long is the running part ?
                  The AFPT event is two miles. Google "Army PT Standards" and see the minimum/maximum standards for each event.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                    That's kid of disingenuous, no? It's should be about good information and answering questions accurately, not padding your post count.

no it's not. It's a reality, reading every post verbatim would take too long, as long as I get the jist that is satisfactory.

I really don't care about my post count, infact I'm kind of ashamed of it, it means, I could have spent a lot of time doing something else.

Comment

Why gain weight? Creatine needs a constant demand of it and when you stop all that muscle turns to fat... If you want to increase your pts jog a mile every other day and five days a week do 300 pushups and 150-200 situps. I did this and Im maxed on my push ups and almost on sit ups for pt... still working on the two miles.

Comment

Originally posted by chd

LOL The guy with 9XX posts is making fun of the guy with 12XX posts. Thats rich

Comment

Originally posted by K-TownMT
                          when you stop all that muscle turns to fat...
                          Well, that's completely wrong. In fact, it's physiologically impossible.

When you stop taking creatine, the only thing that will happen is that you might lose a little size if you gained weight (given the loss of water in the cells) and you'll suffer some loss of the added strength and endurance that it gave you.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                            LOL The guy with 9XX posts is making fun of the guy with 12XX posts. Thats rich
                            You got me, ha...

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                              Well, that's completely wrong. In fact, it's physiologically impossible.

When you stop taking creatine, the only thing that will happen is that you might lose a little size if you gained weight (given the loss of water in the cells) and you'll suffer some loss of the added strength and endurance that it gave you.
                              True. I use to take creatine while I was on active duty, and when I got out I just lost a little size/strength. I actually gained about 5-10 lbs too, but that's it. Due to my genetics when I take creatine and lift heavy, I bulk up extremely fast.

To the original poster, lots of pasta & bread worked when I wanted to gain a few lbs. In my experience with creatine, the powders were a bit too strong and ripped my stomach apart. The best stuff I used were the liquids that you placed under your tongue.

Comment

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._pure_strength

Jim wendler's 5/3/1 strength training program, considered one of the best, simple, strength building programs. I've added considerable amounts of weight to all of my lifts in the past 4 months I've been following it.

As for diet/supplements, creatine is fine to use, just drink alot of water or you could get kidney stones. Protein shakes are good. I highly doubt you were coming anywhere near 10,000 calories a day, I've never heard of anyone eating that much, not even top contending body builders. Eat A LOT but eat cleanly, chicken, eggs, oats, rice, whole wheat grains, lots of meat/fish. Despite what everyone else is saying, carbs are NOT good for you when trying to bulk, too many carbs will make you fat. Try and eat 1.5-2g of protein per lb of body weight daily as a minimum and eat around 50% protein 40% fat and 10% carbs, lift heavy and allow PLENTY of time to recover for each muscle group. I work each muscle group only once per week and I'm seeing results far beyond what I thought I would.

Comment

Working...
                                X