X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Treadmills... how misleading

My opinion doesn't matter. It is what it is. However, combatives were a heck of a workout, worse than any PT I've had to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
      My opinion doesn't matter. It is what it is..
      If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but your perceived tone suggests that of a defensive posture. I am genuinely asking if you could be the man for a day, how would you or anyone else who wants to contribute, design a test that could accurately extrapolate someone's fitness abilities?

Just trying to stir up the conversation about how things could be done better. Maybe do the whole thing in full battle rattle. I don't know.

Comment

This is a idea, I have been kicking around for my guys. Go to a 600m Known Distance Range. Starting at the 600m.

600m
        Fire 10rds into a target at 600m
        Run to the 500m
        15 Pushups and 10rounds
        Run to the 400
        15 Pushups and 10rounds (mag change)
        Run to the 300
        1min of Flutter Kicks 10rounds
        Run to the 200
        15 Pushups and 10 rounds
        Run to the 100
        10 Rounds and now Low Crawl to the 0m mark
        at that mark is a 120lb dummy, you have to carry back to the 600m

Its a Idea I have been thinking about. Demonstrates fitness, along with concentration, and team building. I am thinking about running this in groups of 5pax per, and go by who has the best overall time per group. Time will be added for rounds not on target. Since its a team event, they have to trade the dummy carrying person atleast 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by AmPat
          If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but your perceived tone suggests that of a defensive posture. I am genuinely asking if you could be the man for a day, how would you or anyone else who wants to contribute, design a test that could accurately extrapolate someone's fitness abilities?

Just trying to stir up the conversation about how things could be done better. Maybe do the whole thing in full battle rattle. I don't know.
          When you design the test remember to make it easy to administer to large numbers of people in a small amount of time; make it cheap as possible to.

Comment

Why? If he is inventing the NEW APFT test, then he creates the guidelines. From a logistical view, it shouldnt include anything the unit doesnt already have on hand, also having time to administer a APFT is a NGB requirement. If a unit can not find time to do this 2xs a year then then there is a HUGE problem with the COC of that unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
              This is a idea, I have been kicking around for my guys. Go to a 600m Known Distance Range. Starting at the 600m.

600m
              Fire 10rds into a target at 600m
              Run to the 500m
              15 Pushups and 10rounds
              Run to the 400
              15 Pushups and 10rounds (mag change)
              Run to the 300
              1min of Flutter Kicks 10rounds
              Run to the 200
              15 Pushups and 10 rounds
              Run to the 100
              10 Rounds and now Low Crawl to the 0m mark
              at that mark is a 120lb dummy, you have to carry back to the 600m

Its a Idea I have been thinking about. Demonstrates fitness, along with concentration, and team building. I am thinking about running this in groups of 5pax per, and go by who has the best overall time per group. Time will be added for rounds not on target. Since its a team event, they have to trade the dummy carrying person atleast 3 times.
              That is awesome. One problem I can see though is the team thing. Yes, we have to train like a team and operate like a team, but if it were actually scoring you for promotion, would you want to depend on someone else to maintain their own fitness discipline for you? We can't even count on Soldiers to not do drugs or stay under 300lbs during the month. I wouldn't want my promotion hanging on some fatbody who didn't prepare for his (new style) APFT.

But i like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                Why? If he is inventing the NEW APFT test, then he creates the guidelines. From a logistical view, it shouldnt include anything the unit doesnt already have on hand, also having time to administer a APFT is a NGB requirement. If a unit can not find time to do this 2xs a year then then there is a HUGE problem with the COC of that unit.
                Yes, but there are all kinds of people who have to take them during off-times. For instance, someone needs one in the last 30 days to attend some school, or someone needs a recent one for a FTNG packet. It would have to be logistically simple if anyone ever wanted something new to come to fruition.

Comment

Defensive of what?

Comment

That is awesome. One problem I can see though is the team thing. Yes, we have to train like a team and operate like a team, but if it were actually scoring you for promotion, would you want to depend on someone else to maintain their own fitness discipline for you? We can't even count on Soldiers to not do drugs or stay under 300lbs during the month. I wouldn't want my promotion hanging on some fatbody who didn't prepare for his (new style) APFT.

But i like the way you think.
                    I appoligize, this was not ment to be in lieu of a Standard APFT. This is something I have been planning, as a team building event for a Support Unit. It will make them work as a team, but by doing this they will have to make sure their fitness levels are good, to have a decent score in the event. Its combat awareness related, individual, and team related. It also builds competitive moral in the unit, while being a good measure of flaws in individuals or training.

Comment

Well, crap. I came back to defend my post, and the issue is settled.

Comment

I will argue with a rock, you want to debate a topic, let me know, I am your guy..

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
                          Defensive of what?
                          Meanings get lost and misunderstood in text. You said "my opinion doesn't matter. It is what it is." That's pretty much all we do here is swap opinions. I thought maybe you thought I was being smug by saying "In your opinion...". Like I was challenging you like 'well, then you think of something better' type of thing.

But now I know this was all in my mind. I was just trying to be proactive about avoiding a peeing match and in the process confused everyone.

Comment

Meanings get lost and misunderstood in text. You said "my opinion doesn't matter. It is what it is." That's pretty much all we do here is swap opinions. I thought maybe you thought I was being smug by saying "In your opinion...". Like I was challenging you like 'well, then you think of something better' type of thing.

But now I know this was all in my mind. I was just trying to be proactive about avoiding a peeing match and in the process confused everyone.
                            No. You are correct. The context was ambiguous. I should have said, "My opinion doesn't matter. The APFT is what it is."

I'm merely saying I have opinions of the APFT, however in the scheme of things, that doesn't really matter as the APFT serves it's purpose.

Comment

Phantom is onto something. The Guard needs more team building...especially in PT. Creative workouts for groups of soldiers other than the standard crap improve morale.

Comment

Plus, the workout itself has some element of tactical and purposeful training behind it - such as carrying the dummy, low crawling, weapons firing, and short bursts of sprinting are all things I envision myself doing.

I may shamelessly steal and suggest your exercise to others, Phantom.

Comment

Working...
                                X