X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmills... how misleading

I started exercising on a treadmill only to quantify the amount of calories I was burning, and did it for over a year... then I tried to run the track...

What an embarassment! But its whatever, ill have to wait till the weather gets warmer to run outside as my lungs get dry and i have trouble breathing, i think its cause im out of shape. When i was in my best shape, I could run in the cold. No real questions here... just a warning to those who might be training for their runs on a treadmill or elliptical machine. There great to burn calories but thats about it

Re: Treadmills... how misleading

Treadmills, you run in place and the ground moves for you. Outside, you are running and you move over the ground. You work more outside, and you can take larger strides. Treadmills are a good substitute but cant be compared to outside, two different animals.

Eliptical machines, they are good at building cardio and burning the calories. They are also a substitute, but if you want to get better running, you have to go outside. If you cant, go to a indoor basketball court, sprint the lengths and jog the baselines. Then when you get done, run shuttle sprints. Just keep at it.

Work your treadmill times, start at 5 speed, and get to where you can run 2m at 6.25 speed, then work from there. Its good practice, but get outside when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by JonTheBaptist
      I started exercising on a treadmill only to quantify the amount of calories I was burning, and did it for over a year... then I tried to run the track...

What an embarassment! But its whatever, ill have to wait till the weather gets warmer to run outside as my lungs get dry and i have trouble breathing, i think its cause im out of shape. When i was in my best shape, I could run in the cold. No real questions here... just a warning to those who might be training for their runs on a treadmill or elliptical machine. There great to burn calories but thats about it
      As Phantom said good, but not the same. Make sure when you run on the treadmill you set the grade to at least 1%. Up to a 7:30 per mile pace at 1% it is actually harder then on a track. After that speed you need 1.5%-2% grade.

I know a lot of world class runners who do a lot of their speed work on a treadmill since it forces them to hold a constant pace. Just make sure you mix in outdoor running, but the big thing is you have to put some grade on it when you use it.

Here is a chart.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

Comment

Good Chart, really shows the difference in the two. This is one that I found, with all the tools, practice, and patience, it helps get a better picture of ones progress. The good Captain, is a great resource on this topic.

http://www.anglebar.com/chaneyfamily...treadmill.html

Comment

Embarrassing indeed. Wow...a whole year.

Comment

What was your workout routine for that year on the treadmill?

Comment

It's all about the incline on the treadmill. And also mixing it up. Intervals, hills, some cycling/spinning, elliptical, a little lower body weight training (i.e., squats, lunges, calf raises), et cetera.

Comment

That chart is pretty darn accurate. I found I lose about 1:30 on the APFT compared to a 0% grade on the treadmill.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
                  That chart is pretty darn accurate. I found I lose about 1:30 on the APFT compared to a 0% grade on the treadmill.
                  The chart assumes a calibrated, accurate treadmill display. If the treadmill is reading accurately, I believe the chart. Running on the treadmill dismisses the energy required to constantly fight inertia (you are not a wheel on a train track, but an inefficient pile of flesh), and air resistance. I think treadmills are awesome, because as long as you have it cranked to something that strains you, and stay on it, you are going to get a good workout. I rely on them all winter and find that my APFT times are faster than what I trained at - probably mental. But, they are notoriously inaccurate in terms of display speed vs actual speed and hence everything else that relies on odometry ie. calories, distance.
                  Last edited by AmPat; January 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I'm not into running. The treadmill is a means to an end. All that matters is I make my target weight and run time.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
                      I'm not into running. The treadmill is a means to an end. All that matters is I make my target weight and run time.
                      I absolutely hate running long distances myself, and think that it's useless that 2 miles is used as a basis to test your endurance. I've seen guys that can run sub 12 min. on the APFT just about die on a road march. Anyway, back on the subject, I don't like using treadmills due to the fact you basically have to sprint in order to get any good results. They're good to use when the weather doesn't permit outdoor running, but that's it. On top of that, the variances between the different manufacturers/models also makes it difficult to keep a steady routine. A good tool to have as well is a good HR monitor to keep track of your progress/calories burned. By the way, good info. from both charts!
                      Last edited by Charlie_Hustle; January 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_Hustle
                        I absolutely hate running long distances myself, and think that it's useless that 2 miles is used as a basis to test your endurance. I've seen guys that can run sub 12 min. on the APFT just about die on a road march. Anyway, back on the subject, I don't like using treadmills due to the fact you basically have to sprint in order to get any good results. They're good to use when the weather doesn't permit outdoor running, but that's it. On top of that, the variances between the different manufacturers/models also makes it difficult to keep a steady routine. A good tool to have as well is a good HR monitor to keep track of your progress/calories burned. By the way, good info. from both charts!

I think this highlights the problem of the Army Physical Fitness program as a whole. Physical Training is conducted to pass the PT test, but by no means makes you overall 'fit'.

NCO's who have developed total body fitness programs and excercises, I found helped me more to become flexible and athletic - rather than simple routines of Pushups/Situps/Sprints. One NCO in particular got me hooked on CrossFit while in AIT and now I am entirely hooked on it back home.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                          I think this highlights the problem of the Army Physical Fitness program as a whole. Physical Training is conducted to pass the PT test, but by no means makes you overall 'fit'.
                          And by that same token, the APFT isn't what I'd consider a good measure of "total" fitness. By saying "All that matters is making my target weight and run time," I'm not speaking of using the treadmill as an act of desperation hoping to make the minimums.

Living in Iowa in the winter is not a very ideal place to run also.
                          Last edited by rat4spd; January 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

In your opinion what would be a good, comprehensive test of someone's overall fitness?

An Iowan, huh? I say see how many soldiers can last through a typical wrestling practice. Whoever is still standing at the end passes. LOL. Score-wise... I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by AmPat
                              In your opinion what would be a good, comprehensive test of someone's overall fitness?

CrossFit kicks butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X