X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Time is Dropping! It is Not Easy!

C'mon 12 minute 2 mile! I still have a ways to go, but I was able to run the 2 mile this morning at 14:10. Basically I have dropped my time by 1 min 13 secs over the past week. The first time I actually tried to run 2 miles about a month ago I was doing a lot of walking and it took about 20 minutes. So, I am making progress, but it is not easy. Especially running the morning after doing a leg workout the prior night. (P90X Plyometrics was last night...ugh).

I am not shipping until 20100405, so I am hoping based on the improvements I've made up to this point that a 12 minute 2 mile is not out of reach.

Got 30:60's tomorrow..... I really dislike those.

Anybody else out there have any input on how your run times progressed and what you did to make that progress?

Re: Run Time is Dropping! It is Not Easy!

Nice! you beat my best time ever. I'm way out of shape for it now, but I showed up to USAF basic training running my 2 mile (on day 3) in 18:11. At the end of week three I ran it in 14:30, and that remains my best to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
      C'mon 12 minute 2 mile! I still have a ways to go, but I was able to run the 2 mile this morning at 14:10. Basically I have dropped my time by 1 min 13 secs over the past week. The first time I actually tried to run 2 miles about a month ago I was doing a lot of walking and it took about 20 minutes. So, I am making progress, but it is not easy. Especially running the morning after doing a leg workout the prior night. (P90X Plyometrics was last night...ugh).

I am not shipping until 20100405, so I am hoping based on the improvements I've made up to this point that a 12 minute 2 mile is not out of reach.

Got 30:60's tomorrow..... I really dislike those.

Anybody else out there have any input on how your run times progressed and what you did to make that progress?
      Ilike to throw in a few 5-6 miles every so often. I wanna say it helps my best is 13:00 and i was also excused for 2 weeks of PT for flag detail so it could have been better.

Comment

For the two mile run my best EVER was 15:01

Comment

Great progress.

I can max the run at the 17-21 age group at elevation and I am in my forties. A lot depends on your body mass/size. I know when I do a lot of upper body I put bulk on which slows me down so I have to modify my push up/pull up routine.

In the context of pure running, not APFT running, even a 12 min two mile is not terribly fast. There are lots of opinions, but this is what I do. From what you have said you have been doing a lot of intensity and I think for some period of time you need a lot of consistent running. Can you run every day for say thirty days in a row? Running 30-60 min every day? Becoming a good runner is about being able to back it up day after day.

Depending on your overall aerobic development I know great runners, guys who run sub 3:00 Ironman marathons who spend 2-3 months at the beginning of the year who run really easy, but a lot of volume.

There is a saying that speed work is the icing on the cake and it sounds like your cake is still in the oven. Speed work is a great way to get faster, but when you put it on top of a well built base you will really see improvement.

I am not saying never run fast right now, because it has obviously helped you and different people respond to different sorts of training. But to be the runner that it sounds like you want to be I would first concentrate on a lot of consistent running to build your volume in a smart way and sprinkle in really hard running a little later down the road.

Maybe you run a 2 mile run test every 2-3 weeks or throw in a tempo run once a week since it sounds like you really like the intense workouts. A tempo run is a great way to increase your speed at lactate threshold which is what you are doing in the 2 mile run on the APFT.

Hope that helps. Check out the McMillan running calculator to give you an idea of how easy your easy runs should be and when you push it how fast you should be running. He is a great running coach.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmil...calculator.htm

Comment

Thanks for the great info willw! I definitely plan on adding distance. I plan on getting in 40-60 miles a week. I know it's not that much, but it's more than what I do now. I am trying to get my time down to 13:00, then I am going to add distance and the such to mix it up and hopefully keep bringing my time down.

As far as body size, I am 6'3", 210 lbs, 10% bodyfat
            Last edited by azIce; January 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

That is plenty of distance. The other thing that will help you out is rucking. The early ultra distance runners did a lot of walking so you will see a lot of improvement in your aerobic development with the road marching that you are doing to get ready as well.

This a good test and while I am not a huge fan of using HR all of the time because there are lots of variables this is a good test to measure where you are. I think you said you are in your early 30's?

If you have a HR monitor go to a track and do a really, really easy walk run for a bit to warm up. Then do a three mile run and don't let your HR get above 148ish. What you want to do is see what your average pace is for each mile and see how much slower you have to run from mile 1 to mile 3 to keep a consistent HR. As you get more fit you will see little to no drop off.

A good friend of mine who has run a 2:45 marathon in an Ironman swears by this as the way to really build your base and when you train fast he really hammers it, but for someone so fast his bread and butter runs are like 7:30-8:00 min/mile.

Comment

Great! Thanks! I need to get a HR monitor. I've been wanting to just for some of my P90X workouts. I know right now when I'm training my hardest with P90X my HR averages about 170-180 and peaking about 190. Granted that is just by taking my pulse. So, who knows how off that is.

I've never been a straight out runner and never trained as such. The most running I've ever done has been conditioning drills when I played football. The most distance we ever ran was 2 miles. The rest were sprints. So, I need all the help I can get when it comes to running for distance and training.

And, yes, I'm in my early 30's. (32)

I need to get with my good friend who runs marathons. He just ran 18 miles as an easy day for training. He just turned 49.
                Last edited by azIce; January 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I took about 3 weeks off from running/working out and started back up last Saturday. Today I ran 2 miles in 14:03. Not too bad after that long of a break. Hopefully in this last month before I ship I can get down in the mid 13's.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
                    I took about 3 weeks off from running/working out and started back up last Saturday. Today I ran 2 miles in 14:03. Not too bad after that long of a break. Hopefully in this last month before I ship I can get down in the mid 13's.
                    What a slacker.......

Comment

Sonofa....

You're right though. This close to shipping, shouldn't of done that...

Comment

So, I've ran 3 days in a row and my times keep getting worse... lol I usually run every other day. I guess that break in between run days really is important. Either that or I'm a big sissy and need to get my shiat together...

Comment

You don't need to run everyday. Also, you should vary your runs. You're body has not recovered, so of course if you run 3 days in a row, you might get slower. You need a good routine.

I suggest this -

1. monday 2 mile, as fast a you can - use as your baseline
                          2. Wednesday, 5 mile - try to finish the distance comfortable - so if you do the 2 mile in 7 min miles, try to do the 5 mile in 8:15-8:45
                          3. Friday, 1.5 mile sprint intervals. Do a 20 second sprint, and then recover, when your heart rate drops back to about 100-110 sprint again, then recover. Do that 6 times in 1.5 miles. Don't worry about the time - should take you about 12-14 minutes.

Rest over the weekend, and do the 2 mile again monday. This is a good workout to train for the test itself, distance endurance, and interval gaining. The intervals will really help your speed. Do this for a few weeks and you will improve.

Also, while you need to do leg workouts (weights px90 etc) to prepare for rucking, understand, until your legs are stronger you will probably end up losing run time while doing these workouts. It's not because the muscle slows your legs, it's because they take longer to recover from things like squats and lunges. So don't get discouraged. You might do weights one day per week in place of one of 3 runs, but remember you will be slower the run following the weight workout, until the muscles fully recover.

Good luck!

Comment

agree about running every other day. In my prime, late 20s, I ran every other day, took off the last two or three days before a PT test and ran my best, a 13:48. I never ran more than two miles, but I was just interested in the PT test, not the Airborne test.

The great thing about what you are doing is that basic will be a piece of cake(physically), compared to what you are doing now. You might actually be frustrated about the slow runs at basic, but that's okay.

Good luck, can't wait to hear what you ran in basic. I'm predicting 13:05ish at the beginning, maybe 12:30ish at the end.

for variety, you might want to enter a 5K between now and then.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I've been trying to mix it up between 2 miles, 30:60's and 5 miles. It doesn't always workout, but I do make sure do get my 2 miles in. I guess I'll see where I end up in about a monith.

Comment

Working...
                              X