X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew Smith Training Programs

Has anyone ever used any of the Stew Smith training progams? I have been doing P90X for sometime, but as I get closer to enlisting I was thinking about trying Stew Smith's Army Ranger program to do more military type PT to get ready.

Re: Stew Smith Training Programs

The only PT you will need is push ups, sit ups, and running. From what I've heard P90X is perfect if you can incorporate running into the program.

Comment

Actually that's what I've been doing. Running in the morning 3x a week and P90X at night. I've been doing P90X since last May, but I just started running two weeks ago. It's been a long time since I just ran for cardio, forgot how hard it was. I'm trying to get to a 12 minute 2 mile, so I will be upping my running to 5x a week. After running six times my best time is 15:50, so I've got a ways to go.
      Last edited by azIce; January 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

If you're running a 15:50 now that's great. You should have no problem reaching 12 min. You will get there during BCT/AIT.

Comment

I eventually will be attending Ranger School, so I'm trying to start training now, even if it is a year away. Plus I want to kick the shiat out of the basic PT.

I took about three months off from working out and started back up 3 weeks ago. My current PT results are:
          Push-ups: 75
          Sit-ups: 65
          2-Mile: 15:50
          Chin-ups: 20

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
            I eventually will be attending Ranger School, so I'm trying to start training now, even if it is a year away. Plus I want to kick the shiat out of the basic PT.

I took about three months off from working out and started back up 3 weeks ago. My current PT results are:
            Push-ups: 75
            Sit-ups: 65
            2-Mile: 15:50
            Chin-ups: 20
            Thats a good base to start at. You need to get that run down to 12 to 13 minutes. Rangers run like gazelles; The competitive ones at least.

Comment

Exactly. That's why I'm trying to get my APFT score over 300 before I even go to BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
                Exactly. That's why I'm trying to get my APFT score over 300 before I even go to BCT.
                Ok, here it is... You obviously have been working out hard and are physically fit. Not exactly as I was when I shipped (208# of fat 6'1" tall ) OK all you need to do is 30:60's every other day. If you have not heard what a 30:60 is, well, you'll be doing them at BCT and they super charge your run and build cardio endurance very quickly. You'll sprint as fast as you can around the track (or where ever) for 30 seconds. Then, you'll high paced walk for 60 seconds (walking didn't help with the lung capacity in my opinion). You'll also graduate to the 60:120's. Just as before they are 60 seconds of all-out sprinting and 120 seconds of high-paced walking. Man you just TRY and do 10 sets and you'll be spent. I don't care who you are!

Now that I'm home I'm on this exact regiment and I'm seeing 14:00 2 mile times (best at AIT was 14:50 due to lack of PT while there) Only run at a comfortable jogging pace during your other 3 days and time yourself once a week for speed if you'd like.

FYI, I'm not a doctor, but know this works! From an old man like me (35) to do P90X and run 6 days a week, that is all you need. Remember... Keep you battles close to you when you do PU's and SU's in the Barricks - they will push you to be the best. And find a fast running battle... they will really push you. So what your 2 mile is a 15:50... I bet with your drive and desire, you'll be at 12 minutes in no time. Oh and by the way, the guy that ran an 11:50 2 mile at BCT could eat all the cake and ice cream he wanted... NO BS! I'm serious...Go for it man... I just ask that you push the old guy in your Platoon so he can go home proud!

Comment

Clyde - Thanks for the input. I'm an old man too (32), which is why I want to be in the best shape possible going in. Don't need anymore crap from those **** kids I know I will be getting regardless.

I was reading about the 30:60 and 60:120 on Stew Smith's site. I've done HIIT training before and that definitely gets your lungs and heart pumpin. I'm tired just thinking about it.

While you were at BCT did your PT scores improve a good amount? I would think that if they did, it would only make sense to train as close as one can without actually being in basic to do well in basic.

As well, your height and weight isn't far off from mine (6'2" - 200 lbs), so you couldn't have been to out of shape. You said lack of PT at AIT. What was the reason for that? Is that normal?
                  Last edited by azIce; January 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X