Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good fit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A good fit?

    How do you know what is a good fit when it comes to boots? Are all boots created equal? Would you break your boots before you went to training?

    What is some general advice on boots?

  • #2
    Re: A good fit?

    Well Sir, I think it depends on yourself and the style of boot. I like my boots to be a little snug when I get them. I'd try to break them in some. Atleast get some flexibility in them. I wear Altama Ripplesoles and absolutely love them.

    I break mine in by hand. I place the toe of my boot on the ground and press down on the heel to flex the toe area, and I just kinda flex the leather heel until its softer. I don't like the heel soft, it somewhat ruins the support it provides. Getting them wet and wearing them will help too. Beware of blisters though.
    Last edited by kswat07; January 15th, 2010, 12:15 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A good fit?

      For me I guess it's like trying on a new pair of shoes. You know if they fit although that "broke in" feeling isn't there. I also recommend replacing the insoles. When I got my new boots at my first drill, by Sunday evening my feet were sore. I replaced the insoles and my feet were fine throughout the next drill.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A good fit?

        When I get a new pair, I will wear them around the house off and on, running errands and whatnot. If they feel like they will work, I will start alternating them with my normal boots at work (I am AGR, so I wear boots dailey). If they are good to go, they get worn as office boots and my current boots, go on to a future as "field" boots. This is for issued boots.

        I have a good amount of boots so I dont really have to break them in quickly. The one thing you must take care of is your feet. Thats what gets you from A to B right. If you buy boots do some research, if you can, try some on and get opinions. What works for one person might not work for you. I have also sent boots out to have them altered, with different items. Just make sure if you do this, you are positive you want to make these changes, its not like you can get them back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A good fit?

          Phantom gave some good advice. I would suggest checking out Wellco.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A good fit?

            Wear them in the shower.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A good fit?

              Originally posted by Phantom
              When I get a new pair, I will wear them around the house off and on, running errands and whatnot. If they feel like they will work, I will start alternating them with my normal boots at work (I am AGR, so I wear boots dailey). If they are good to go, they get worn as office boots and my current boots, go on to a future as "field" boots. This is for issued boots.

              I have a good amount of boots so I dont really have to break them in quickly. The one thing you must take care of is your feet. Thats what gets you from A to B right. If you buy boots do some research, if you can, try some on and get opinions. What works for one person might not work for you. I have also sent boots out to have them altered, with different items. Just make sure if you do this, you are positive you want to make these changes, its not like you can get them back.
              Great advice! I wear mine around the house just to get a good feel for them and change out the inserts with some Doc. Scholl's work gel's. I work in corrections and wear boots on a daily basis as well and have a good amount of boots so that I can alternate my boots to keep my feet, knees, and back in good shape. In addition, I soften my boots up with some saddle soap (black leather) before wearing them to work, and then about every 3-4 months afterwards. Socks play a good role in how your boots feel too, so try different pairs with your boots as well. If you do a lot of moving around you may need to try different variations of cotton & synthetics depending on the intensity of your movement.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A good fit?

                All boots are different. I wore my Bellvilles for MONTHS trying to break them in. I took them to school with me, and they just ate my feet up. My Danners, which were never broken in, barely gave me a blister during our road march. I just threw them on and went. Danners are awesome, for me. YMMV.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A good fit?

                  Originally posted by QuantumRN
                  All boots are different. I wore my Bellvilles for MONTHS trying to break them in. I took them to school with me, and they just ate my feet up. My Danners, which were never broken in, barely gave me a blister during our road march. I just threw them on and went. Danners are awesome, for me. YMMV.
                  Who's the new Mod?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A good fit?

                    Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                    Who's the new Mod?
                    You missed me, admit it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A good fit?

                      Originally posted by QuantumRN
                      You missed me, admit it.
                      SEE!! As I just wrote in another post!!! Its Alumni Month!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A good fit?

                        Any advice on how to keep your boots looking sharp?

                        Not all boots can be worn at training.

                        I can tell the boots I have will blister my feet bad.

                        How do you guys clean your boots?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A good fit?

                          I'm bad with boots. I've worn the same pair for almost 4 years now with only one pair of alternates. I'm kind of attached to my boots because they've been with me since AIT to jump school to Iraq.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A good fit?

                            Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                            Any advice on how to keep your boots looking sharp?

                            Not all boots can be worn at training.

                            I can tell the boots I have will blister my feet bad.

                            How do you guys clean your boots?
                            Sir...they're dirt colored...

                            some people use the Kiwi desert boot cleaner. I think it's a rip off because it's a giant pencil eraser. Now when we had black boots, I'd sit in a circle and talk about what we'd do when we got home while we shined boots, now I only shine my class A boots.

                            But anyway.


                            this should be what you want should you feel hardcore enough.

                            Have a good one, sir.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A good fit?

                              I maintain two pair of boots, my super clean "drill boots," and my "work boots." I clean my drill boots with a stiff scrub brush and soap and water. I also use suede protector on them to prevent stains. My work boots are my comfortable boots that I wore throughout OCS and are stained beyond repair, and are only worn when I go to the field.

                              Edit...I agree with SGT Gambino the kit is useless.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X