• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Beret

And that's why i love her too!

Comment

Great posts LRSU and Tony -

The Army, just like society, has to have everything "right now". It virtually takes no effort with these uniforms to look "like a soldier". It's a shame.

My first drill with the Guard was 2006, when I stayed in a hotel with another soldier. I was horrified when he took off his uniform and tossed it on a chair. He simply put it back on and moved out the next morning. Me, the **** former Marine, had my TWO uniforms on hangers! Yeah, it was only a MUTA 4 and I've loosened up A BIT since then. LOL

Like Tony said above, we old timers all had those times in front of the TV each evening as we spit-shined our boots and pressed our uniforms. It was a standard we all set for ourselves, and our soldiers, and you REALLY stood out and were quickly corrected if you didn't meet that standard.

Personally, I don't like wearing a uniform that I or any other schmo off the street can buy in an Army surplus store, change into, and walk out of that store and look like a soldier. Where's the effort? Where's the pride? ****, you don't even have to "fluff and buff" these things! (For you young guys, that taking them out of the dryer and "popping them", and running a sock over the toe of your boot).

IMHO, ACU's/Multi-cams should be worn overseas only, and uniforms that you actually have to work on to wear properly should be worn here stateside.

There are postings on here in the News section about Iphones for privates in BCT (whatever), but uniforms? Bring back BDU's/Cammies and black boots and I'd be a happy guy!

Comment

I always found polishing boots and shoes as therapy. I would sit down and open my can of kiwi, put water in the lid, and wrap a piece of tshirt around two finger and just veg off into peaceful mindless thinking. I enjoyed it. I remember one day they had this sponge thing, you would wipe it over your boot and it was instantly shined, for about 5min. I hated that thing, it was a shortcut that always stuck out and left a slime covered shoe. I used it once and felt I had cheated myself.

Comment

I vividly remember the briefing I had where we were informed that ironing and starching our BDUs would destroy its "inherent IR capabilities", followed by a 30 minute block of instruction on how to "properly starch and iron" our BDUs. Next to "mandatory fun" that was one of my favorite contradictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post
            I vividly remember the briefing I had where we were informed that ironing and starching our BDUs would destroy its "inherent IR capabilities", followed by a 30 minute block of instruction on how to "properly starch and iron" our BDUs. Next to "mandatory fun" that was one of my favorite contradictions.
            That was one of the greatest contradictions. However, just like your boots you would have one pair that was as shinny as chrome metal for garrison and another just black not shinned pair for the field. Even today with the ACU's and tan boots I have field only and garrison only boots and ACU's.

Comment

During Desert Storm, 1st Cav (at least 312MI Bn) had locker-style inspections, in the tents, in the field. Checking for, I kid you not, creases, shine and "excessive" dust and/or sand. "Field-conditions are not an acceptable excuse."

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                Did you mean "sweet"... or are you just in to being all sweaty :^) Woo Hooo

On a more serious note, for this completely long and drawn-out thread - I will add my commentary; there was a time when the beret stood for something - and its care was a symbol of the pride the soldier had in him/herself as well the uniform that they wore.

Now, like fast food, everyone wants a pre-shaped ready to wear with little or no effort uniform. Perhaps this is at the core of the problems faced by today's military and the standards that are not being set, enforced, and maintained. Yes many of the problems of the Army could be solved simply by looking at the uniform we have now, its functionality, and how it is maintained by the individual soldier.

In the past a beret was earned by achieving something and being assigned to a unit that reflected that achievenment. Not the case today. The beret and jump boots had to be prepared for use, shaped and polished (actualy Spit-Shined) to a high reflective gloss... The time and effort taken for these simple but very time consuming things made a soldiers accomplishments and unit standing, stand-out against the crowd, and the pride of that soldier and his/her position in a unit that embraced those accomplishments was second to none.

Personnally, I refuse to wear Sta-Bright, everything I wear is stripped and polished to a bright shine, it takes effort - and is worth every second of it. My Jump Boots are all wax and water until they can reflect my steely-eyed stare at them from a standing position. And the beret, which for me is Maroon in color, for the Airborne, is shaped and shaved and re-shaped until it is able to be worn to standard without any possible hint of it being just a hat or balloon on my head.

Gen Shinseki (RET) wanted everyone in the Army to have a beret... perhaps in truth the Army was not ready for a beret and the symbol of excellance that it denotes. There are still three colors that stand out from the crowd, and each has to be earned, two of which harder than the first - all of which can be taken away if the standards aren't met. Except the black beret... which currently is the consolation prize when once it was the symbol of the 75th.

Yes I have an opinion on this... and it is still strong... Never look for the easy way for anything, or you will end up asking, "do you want fries with that?" Make the beret, no matter what color you wear, a symbol of the high standards it takes to wear such a device. It was an honor to wear it in the past, it should be an honor to wear it now... If you do not like it, then write your congressman/woman and request that you wear the old "Garrison Caps", and that it remain the headgear for "everyone else"
                I agree. My jump boots are kept nice, my beret professional looking.

But I use stay bright (blushing smiley goes here). I do have a lot of pride in being an airborne troop, and anyone who's in an airborne unit should work harder than the average bear. That's why I don't mind going to drill early and staying late and busting my chops when all my friends in other units sit around their entire drills. It's a pride thing. The hard work my section and I do is worth it, because we have to be the best at what we do.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                  **** the tan beret is the lightest in color. I know chappy is dying to be a 56M5R!
                  I'm pretty sure the Ranger ASI is V.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                    I always found polishing boots and shoes as therapy. I would sit down and open my can of kiwi, put water in the lid, and wrap a piece of tshirt around two finger and just veg off into peaceful mindless thinking. I enjoyed it. I remember one day they had this sponge thing, you would wipe it over your boot and it was instantly shined, for about 5min. I hated that thing, it was a shortcut that always stuck out and left a slime covered shoe. I used it once and felt I had cheated myself.
                    Those were good times, people left me alone, I'd just watch some TV and gets those boots shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by YesWeCan2008 View Post
                      I'm pretty sure the Ranger ASI is V.
                      The Airborne Ranger ASI is V for enlisted personnel. For officers it is R.

Comment

Consider me learned good sir. Thanks!

Comment

R= Officer "Leg" Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Eater View Post
                            R= Officer "Leg" Ranger
                            So then for an Airborne Ranger officer would it still be V?

Comment

Officer Ranger Parachutist = 5S

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Eater View Post
                                Officer Ranger Parachutist = 5S
                                The more you know indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X