X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What You Need To Hear

I graduated on the 21st of August, 2009. Those of you shipping to Ft. Jackson soon will have to get used to a lot of heat and even more humidity.

Get used to sweating A LOT. Even when you're not doing anything you'll be sweating, and your eyebrows will eventually fail and sweat will get into your eyes. Remember: attitude is everything. With the right mindset, you can do ANYTHING.

Before you go, encourage as many family and friends to write you as possible. Phone calls will be scarce, and every letter will help you stay motivated. Get used to not having your cell phone/iPod, drinking gatorades/sodas, or eating anything you want to for a long time. Even if you find yourself in a laid back easy Company, it's always better to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Pay attention and remember at all times where you are. BCT IS NOT summer camp, there are rules, and major consequences for breaking the rules. DONT EVER fall asleep on Fireguard, NEVER go ANYWHERE without your weapon, do what you are told to do.

In BCT you'll have assigned squad leaders and a PG in charge of the Platoon. You're either going to love or hate these people. Whichever one it is, don't make their job harder than it already is, even if they SUCK at it. Help them as much as you can (mainly just doing what you're told and doing the right thing) and don't give them any grief.

In BRM, listen very carefully to what you are told so that you, your battle buddies, and your Company Cadre don't get shot or killed. Remember that you're firing real weapons, with real rounds that KILL. Be careful.

Always remember that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Getting smoked will suck, but eventually you'll get used to it. 50-60 other people are enduring it with you, tough it out and it will be far easier. Also, don't cheat yourself on PT. The PT is designed to help you pass the APFT with flying colors, but if you do crappy push-ups during morning PT and simply walk when you do Ability Group Runs, you're not going to pass the APFT and you're not going to graduate.

I was in C Co. 1/13, and I will always remember what the Batallion Sergeant Major told us one of the first weeks there in a briefing he had for us. "There are three things to remember to be successful here at BCT and in the Army: 1.) Do what you're told 2.) Stay motivated 3.) Strive for excellence in everything that you do.

ABOVE ALL: Push yourself to do the best you can do, charge head-on into the challenges that will make up almost everyday, help out your battle-buddies, trust in your leadership, and maintain a positive attitude. Remember that Basic doesn't last forever, and when you walk out onto that field to graduate, you'll feel on top of the world.

Good luck, be STRONG.

Re: What You Need To Hear

Good Post, and I like the spirit, keep it and you will go far. Or atleast have a future in writing TRADOC recruiting brochures. ha Ha .. GOod Job, glad things went good for you. If your going to Ft. Sam for 68w, its a different world.

Comment

Roger that, Ft. Sam should be fun I just hope I get an alright Company with some Soldiers that are actually worth the uniform they wear. How long is the 68W AIT? I've seen and heard 26, 19 and 16 weeks all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
        How long is the 68W AIT? I've seen and heard 26, 19 and 16 weeks all over the place.
        I know so many medics and they all seem to say different. Lol Maybe they just let ya go when they think you're good enough.

Comment

Great, I'll be there forever...lol

Comment

Love the post. Headed to Jackson and Sam Houston myself. Really looking forward to the 16 weeks of medic training. Cant lie.

Comment

heat, I hate heat, I will probably be at Jackson at the tail end of August if they don't send me to Sill or lost in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                heat, I hate heat, I will probably be at Jackson at the tail end of August if they don't send me to Sill or lost in the woods.
                Heat is heat SC heat will be black flag by 1000. Fort Polk LA was the worst....but it is not a BCT site.

Comment

Thank God, I go to meps tomorrow, all background checks came back clean, transcripts and documents in, asvab passed. I am on my way. May the force be with me, I am sure I will be flagged for being underweight but hopefully a waiver will be possible if not a few weeks should be enough to gain it.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
                    Roger that, Ft. Sam should be fun I just hope I get an alright Company with some Soldiers that are actually worth the uniform they wear. How long is the 68W AIT? I've seen and heard 26, 19 and 16 weeks all over the place.

I head off to basic in 2 weeks then from there go to Sam Houston too for medic training. I was told it was 16 weeks. I think it depends on how well you do and progress.

Comment

Ait for 68w IS 16 weeks at Ft Sam Houston TX. The 26 could be from someone adding Bct and Ait together.

Comment

I just left Ft. Sam June 8th. The course itself is 16 weeks but alot of people get recycled and adds on time. Also I spent 3 1/2 weeks in golf company (reception or ****) If anyone has questions about 68w or what to do in San Antonio my email is j__harmon@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X