X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68W Fast Track

Hi, I'm working with a recruiter right now. I'm trying to enlist as 68W. I really want to be an EMT and eventually a Paramedic so I saw the guard as an opportunity to get some training and experience. It's taking a while to get in [I have some pounds to shed first] so I went ahead and enrolled in an EMT course. I should have my NREMT certification by late August.

I understand that this allows you to be accelerated through 68W AIT. My question is to anyone who has done this or knows someone. How long exactly does it make AIT in total. I've heard varying things from it shortens it by 6 weeks all the way up to 10 weeks. I'm just trying to figure out the best time to enlist because I'm also wanting to keep going to school. I'm willing to take a semester off for training, possibly fall, but I don't know if I would be back in time for Spring after 10 weeks of BCT and however lone AIT ends up being.

Thanks for any info or advice anyone can offer!

Re: 68W Fast Track

Originally posted by js2263
    Hi, I'm working with a recruiter right now. I'm trying to enlist as 68W. I really want to be an EMT and eventually a Paramedic so I saw the guard as an opportunity to get some training and experience. It's taking a while to get in [I have some pounds to shed first] so I went ahead and enrolled in an EMT course. I should have my NREMT certification by late August.

I understand that this allows you to be accelerated through 68W AIT. My question is to anyone who has done this or knows someone. How long exactly does it make AIT in total. I've heard varying things from it shortens it by 6 weeks all the way up to 10 weeks. I'm just trying to figure out the best time to enlist because I'm also wanting to keep going to school. I'm willing to take a semester off for training, possibly fall, but I don't know if I would be back in time for Spring after 10 weeks of BCT and however lone AIT ends up being.

Thanks for any info or advice anyone can offer!
    I don't know about TX, but my AIT has been shortened by a couple of weeks already and I'm not an EMT. I was suppose to be at Ft. Sam for 4 months, but my application was kicked back to my unit, and they were told to re-apply for a reserve component school. My unit complied and now I'm going to Camp Mabry for just a tad over 2 months.

As far as already being an EMT-B, you'll skip that phase of training (6 weeks) and start off doing the Whiskey side of training (10 weeks if you go to Ft. Sam). Good luck.

Comment

I took the fast track and my AIT lasted from Nov 18 to Feb 5th; this included 2 weeks off for Christmas exodus. The main thing to remember in trying to plan out your time is that the Army doesn't operate on your schedule. You could get lucky like I did and move right into a company 5 days after BCT graduation, or you could get stuck in 68W reception for untold weeks. It all depends on whether or not they have a room for you.

Comment

Thank you. Yes I realize that it will all go according to their schedule and availability but I want an idea of what the minimum time required is so I have an idea of when is best to start. It looks like I'll probably enlist and try and get a date in spring to ship to basic and AIT so that I'll be gone spring and summer. In the mean time I'll go to school and I guess attend RSP??? (not sure how that works, my recruiter didn't go over it yet)

Comment

Originally posted by js2263
          Thank you. Yes I realize that it will all go according to their schedule and availability but I want an idea of what the minimum time required is so I have an idea of when is best to start. It looks like I'll probably enlist and try and get a date in spring to ship to basic and AIT so that I'll be gone spring and summer. In the mean time I'll go to school and I guess attend RSP??? (not sure how that works, my recruiter didn't go over it yet)
          Your unit may work with you on finding a good time for you to attend AIT, so keep that in mind. My unit gave me dates that were available and let me choose. There's also a Sgt. in my unit that is currently in school that also got to choose. Keep an open mind and talk to your chain of command about your plans.

Comment

Working...
          X