Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

would it be possible to leave AIT to attend wifes BCT graduation?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it be possible to leave AIT to attend wifes BCT graduation?

I am shipping to BCT at the end of this month, then going immediately to Ft Sam Houston for AIT. My wife is going next thursday to MEPS for active first with the guard. She doesn't want to ship until after my BCT graduation, and I would love to be at her BCT graduation. I know it would be up to my NCO's if I could leave to go to her graduation, but what is the likely hood of them letting me go, especially if it was at Ft Sill, OK.

Thanks for the input.

Re: would it be possible to leave AIT to attend wifes BCT graduation?

Don't count on it

Comment

If you were on the same post, then I could offer you a solid "maybe".

But leaving Basic to go to another post...There's no way to make up all the training you would miss. Don't even bother asking.

Comment

I will be at ft sam houston, and i think she will try to get fort sill, which is about 6 hours away. didn't know if that would be possible.

Comment

6 hours? I grew up in the Austin, TX area, live in the Dallas area. Depending on the day, you probably need to add at least an hour, maybe two to that.

Now, let's think about this from their point of view. They're being asked to allow someone to drive through three large metro areas of traffic(SA, Austin, Dallas) to go see his wife, and then the soldier will have to turn right around and drive back?

There is no way I would allow that. That's just asking for a wreck to happen. Even if the soldier were given two full days off, I know how much sleep he would be getting during the one night - 0. Even if he somehow makes it back on 0 sleep, he's supposed to perform at a high level on his first day back, not gonna happen, will fall asleep in class.

Here's a better plan. You're M-day, she's full-time? Get her to ask for a week of leave after her AIT or soonafter, take her someplace for a week.

Btw, how does that work? If she is active first, are you going to live with her, and try to get an interstate transfer every time she moves into another state?

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
            6 hours?
            Btw, how does that work? If she is active first, are you going to live with her, and try to get an interstate transfer every time she moves into another state?
            due to reasons, i wasn't able to go active duty, but i was able to get in the guard. they MOS's for active first none appealed to me. I do plan on asking to go active duty after she's is MOSQ'ed. If i can't go active, then I will just transfer every time she moves... she is planning to only do the 3 years active and no more, so maybe only 2 moves.

Comment

dont count on being able to go active the units around here don't ever let anyone that I know of, I know of about 10 people who have asked, my dh even asked to transfer to a different unit of the guard so he could deploy with his friends instead of the unit he was stuck into for the last mob and that was a giant no.

Comment

I would say probably not, but you can always ask.

Side note: They let women go to Sill?

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino
                  I would say probably not, but you can always ask.

she goes to MEPS tomorrow, and processes thursday, so we don't know where she would go yet.

Comment

Yes, new development.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall
                      Yes, new development.
                      Hmm, that tripped me out. I haven't stayed up on the basic training rules since I went in BDUs. (Sad that I'm only 21 and am now considered "old school" to my soldiers)

Comment

Hmm, that tripped me out. I haven't stayed up on the basic training rules since I went in BDUs. (Sad that I'm only 21 and am now considered "old school" to my soldiers)
                        How did you go to Basic in BDUs and you are only 21? Im not going to say my age but I am pretty **** certain (100% to be exact) that they didnt issue BDUs for basic back then.

Cold weather/Gortex I can understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                          How did you go to Basic in BDUs and you are only 21? Im not going to say my age but I am pretty **** certain (100% to be exact) that they didnt issue BDUs for basic back then.

Cold weather/Gortex I can understand.
                          I went in 2005, and in all fairness, I'm almost 22.

Comment

I shipped to basic in bdu's in 2004 june to be exact

Comment

ACU's didn't weren't distro'd for BCT until early to mid-2006. I got my first pair of ACUs in like late 2006.

Comment

Working...
                              X