X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing for AIT

I ship to 25B AIT at Ft. Gordon on 21 Jan.

I am a glossary non-prior re-enlistment as of June, so I do not have any of my issue from BCT since I had to turn that in years ago. My RSP supply NCO has tried to get me as much gear as possible, but State is not cooperating.

What will happen with me going to AIT and not having everything I need?

Re: Packing for AIT

I'm curious to know myself since I'm going through the same difficulties. However, fortunately for me, my AIT doesn't start until March now...but I still have drill at the end of the month up at some frozen tundra camp for a few days and all I have is one set of ACUs, a patrol cap, and boots.

Comment

While heading to Ft. Lee from BCT, a female also joined our group. She was prior service Marines. She joined the guard and only brought one back pack with her. She had zero military gear. From what I remember, she was issued all the "initial issue" of gear from the MCSS by the Supply Sergent. Don't worry, you will be given gear ASAP during reception at AIT. After you receive it, you'll be sorry. So much stuff and not enough room to carry it all. You'll be like everyone else, purchasing extra luggage just to haul it home in.

Originally posted by mom's
      and all I have is one set of ACUs, a patrol cap, and boots.
      Don't worry. That's all you'll want to take with you! The less stuff, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by clyde
        So much stuff and not enough room to carry it all. You'll be like everyone else, purchasing extra luggage just to haul it home in.
        I remember being forced to do that at BCT, they made us purchase 2 additional bags from the PX.

I have all the stuff I currently have been issued in 1.5 green duffels. The other .5 should be filled with the remaining items I need.

Speaking of the duffels, I remember having to stencil something on them in BCT. What is it? Just last name, first initial and last 4?

Comment

Originally posted by shortnsweet8
          I remember being forced to do that at BCT, they made us purchase 2 additional bags from the PX.

I have all the stuff I currently have been issued in 1.5 green duffels. The other .5 should be filled with the remaining items I need.

Speaking of the duffels, I remember having to stencil something on them in BCT. What is it? Just last name, first initial and last 4?
          I do believe it was as you have said, last name+first initial+last 4. And when I left AIT, I had 2 full duffels (thanks RSP for making me take my first issue duffel). The third I purchased at Walmart for $20(found in the sporting goods section in a very small package). Everyone was all about getting the expensive digital camo print at the PX for $89. I found mine was bigger than the biggest one the PX had. Yea it didn't have any wheels and was not fancy, but it got my crap home. My advice is to take one with you so you don't over spend your money! I saved soooo much by whatching the prices at the PX vs Walmart (when we were let off post).

Comment

Originally posted by clyde
            I do believe it was as you have said, last name+first initial+last 4. And when I left AIT, I had 2 full duffels (thanks RSP for making me take my first issue duffel). The third I purchased at Walmart for $20(found in the sporting goods section in a very small package). Everyone was all about getting the expensive digital camo print at the PX for $89. I found mine was bigger than the biggest one the PX had. Yea it didn't have any wheels and was not fancy, but it got my crap home. My advice is to take one with you so you don't over spend your money! I saved soooo much by whatching the prices at the PX vs Walmart (when we were let off post).
            Well I will have the 2 green duffels with the clothing I already have, plus a small duffel for the few personal items I am bringing. Unless I somehow acquire a lot of stuff at AIT, I won't need another bag. Now that being said, my AIT is 5 months and I am even hearing reports that people arriving this week for 25B AIT are having to wait 4-5 weeks to get into a class, who knows how long I will have to wait. So I might be there for more than 5 months...

I also got a note from my Supply NCO that the guy at State told her he was going to go to Ft. Leonard Wood to buy my gear, we just have to get to State to pick it up. We will see if he does it...

Comment

Those slots may be filled by those whose units are deploying since they get priority over those who aren't. This is why I didn't get the January slot for my class at Gordon, and trying to get in March since I might be MOBing by the end of this year. My schooling is also several months long. So there goes my summer at home. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom's Mistake
                Those slots may be filled by those whose units are deploying since they get priority over those who aren't. This is why I didn't get the January slot for my class at Gordon, and trying to get in March since I might be MOBing by the end of this year. My schooling is also several months long. So there goes my summer at home. Haha.
                How would an AIT slot be filled by someone already MOSQ MOBing for deployment? I understand they might be put into a different job than they are MOSQ for, but they don't have separate fast-track courses for those at MOB station?

I have no problem waiting once I get to Gordon, I'm just ready to get there lol. I will do details if that is what they want. If I do have to wait, I will be working on my PT as much as possible so that doesn't become a problem. It has been several years since I went to BCT, and I am not the same size/shape/age I was then...

Comment

I'm curious to know myself since I'm going through the same difficulties. However, fortunately for me, my AIT doesn't start until March now...but I still have drill at the end of the month up at some frozen tundra camp for a few days and all I have is one set of ACUs, a patrol cap, and boots.
                  I would go ahead and order your name tapes from someplace like 1-800-nametape. Good to have them ready when your uniforms are handed to you.

Comment

Originally posted by shortnsweet8
                    How would an AIT slot be filled by someone already MOSQ MOBing for deployment? I understand they might be put into a different job than they are MOSQ for, but they don't have separate fast-track courses for those at MOB station?

I have no problem waiting once I get to Gordon, I'm just ready to get there lol. I will do details if that is what they want. If I do have to wait, I will be working on my PT as much as possible so that doesn't become a problem. It has been several years since I went to BCT, and I am not the same size/shape/age I was then...
                    That's what I was told...deploying units get priority. And since my unit has not been issued official deployment orders, this is why I'm being applied for the March class.

Originally posted by California Major
                    I would go ahead and order your name tapes from someplace like 1-800-nametape. Good to have them ready when your uniforms are handed to you.
                    Already ahead of you sir. Even got the US Army, American Flag, rank, and unit insignia Velcros, erm...I mean "hook and loop" too.

Comment

Already ahead of you sir. Even got the US Army, American Flag, rank, and unit insignia Velcros, erm...I mean "hook and loop" too.
                      Better add the little TM to the Velcro name.

Comment

Working...
                      X