X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental work at bct?

I knew they will do some dental work when I go to bct. I need two caps on my back molars. Will they cap them or just yank them? I also need a wisdom tooth cut out of my gums. It never grew out. What will they do about all of that?

Re: Dental work at bct?

When I was at Benning they did everything. Some people had work done with no choice while others brought issues up in sick call and they took care of it. I got my top two wisdom teeth pulled while there. I was one of the no choice guys. They said those two wisdom teeth needed to be pulled and they did it. They base stuff like off of your xrays from reception.

Comment

*also wears the "I had a tooth pulled @ Benning" shirt*

Comment

they pretty much get rid of wisdom teeth. from what i understand they make you non-deployable.

Comment

You won't get crowns done at basic....period (nor would I want them to). They basically only do wisdom and emergency dental (pain). I need a lot of crowns and they told me to wait until my next command.

Comment

if you have health insurance, let them do all your dental work. in the military, everyone seems to be a trainee or something with no experience to do your stuff. that's my experience. i dont care if i have to pay for it, i'd rather it done right and with as little as pain as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by seangworld View Post
              if you have health insurance, let them do all your dental work. in the military, everyone seems to be a trainee or something with no experience to do your stuff. that's my experience. i dont care if i have to pay for it, i'd rather it done right and with as little as pain as possible.
              Totally true. Had a guy at AIT that had to get a filling. The day after, we were in the field, and it came out. The filling popped out of his tooth. He spit it out into his hand and took it to our Platoon Sergeant. Apparently a few other guys had some major issues, as well. I had a filling done, and everything was fine, other than not NEARLY enough anesthetic during the procedure.

Me: "Ma'am, I think I may need some more anesthetic, this is extremely uncomfortable."

Dentist: "You're supposed to be a soldier, right? I thought you guys were tough." (continues drilling without skipping a beat)

End of conversation.

Comment

The guy at Benning that did my tooth was an older gentleman. Didn't feel pain then or when I had the other 3 taken out a few years later. The novocaine was what hurt.

Just bled for several hours and couldn't eat/drink.

Comment

I'm 30 heading to Fort Benning in eight days. I have had my two bottom wisdom teeth in and don't want them taken out, I've never had top wisdom teeth. They don't hurt nor do I even notice that they are back there. I hope they don't have to get yanked out.

Comment

Originally posted by bdshipley View Post
                    I'm 30 heading to Fort Benning in eight days. I have had my two bottom wisdom teeth in and don't want them taken out, I've never had top wisdom teeth. They don't hurt nor do I even notice that they are back there. I hope they don't have to get yanked out.
                    Doesn't matter if you don't feel anything. It doesn't hurt. It's the bleeding and not being able to eat afterward that *****.

WikiPedia
                    Wisdom teeth are extracted for two general reasons: either the wisdom teeth have already become impacted, or the wisdom teeth could potentially become problematic if not extracted. Potential problems caused by the presence of properly grown-in wisdom teeth include infections caused by food particles easily trapped in the jaw area behind the wisdom teeth where regular brushing and flossing is difficult and ineffective. Such infections may be frequent, and cause considerable pain and medical danger. Other reasons wisdom teeth are removed include misalignment which rubs up against the tongue or cheek causing pain, potential crowding or malocclusion of the remaining teeth (a result of there being not enough room on the jaw/ in the mouth), as well as orthodontics

Comment

What about I had my wisdom teeth out but when you go to meps your recruiter tells you not to say anything about it to get you through it. What if they ask about it?

Comment

Working...
                      X