X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• take uniform to basic?

my boy leaves for basic tomorrow, i found several lists as well as info on this forum on what he should bring. i took a look at his duffel bag and noticed he has a set of ACU's in there including the boots (that were issued to him at RSP).

i asked him why he was packing those and he said his recruiter told him to. His recruiter has been pretty horrible, and i dont get why he said to bring them, wont he be getting all his uniforms once he arrives? why bring an extra set (which makes his luggage look bigger than it needs to be).

Re: take uniform to basic?

They told us to bring our uniform but most of us have decided not to. Bring the pts tho, you will want extra clean sets.

It's up to him really. He will get a full issue when he gets there.

Comment

I didn't take my RSP uniform or boots to BCT. They issue four sets of ACUs when you get there and I really only wore 3 of them, turned them in during the last week, and got a whole new issue before heading to AIT. If he does take them, tell him not to wear them for the trip there......you don't want to be that guy.

Comment

Oh man, I could tell you a story of what happened to this one guy at reception! But I'll be brief. It is very wise not to take the ACUs to reception or at all. It's not needed and you don't want to have an extra set and be the person who's different from everybody else. If your son's recruiter told him to bring them, then that's that and he should. But DEFINITELY tell him not to wear it on the trip there. That would earn him a reward that is definitely NOT rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonj
          my boy leaves for basic tomorrow, i found several lists as well as info on this forum on what he should bring. i took a look at his duffel bag and noticed he has a set of ACU's in there including the boots (that were issued to him at RSP).

i asked him why he was packing those and he said his recruiter told him to. His recruiter has been pretty horrible, and i dont get why he said to bring them, wont he be getting all his uniforms once he arrives? why bring an extra set (which makes his luggage look bigger than it needs to be).
          DO NOT BRING ANY ARMY GEAR!!!!!!! I'm not yelling at you, just emphasising a point.... He will recieve everything he needs while he's there. If he brings his own stuff they could try to shortchange him on uniforms or things of that sort. If he has stuff already, there is no problem not bringing it and getting more. At BCT, they will issue you all the things he needs while there. Trust me, its better off to just wear some civilian clothes and take care of everything else there

Comment

For those going to the GED Plus program, yes...they are now to take their uniform with you, it is actually being proposed that states start sending soldiers down range with one uniform already. Sooo...bottome line is he needs to do what his RSP tells him to do, not his recruiter. Our state still doesnt send people down range with uniforms, but other states may have already started doing this in a pilot program. If it is not on the packing list, dont pack it.

Comment

thanks for the info. he isnt in any GED program, he has graduated high school. his RSP hasnt told him anything in regards to what to take. On his RSP units facebook page they have a list of what to bring and it does not include uniforms.

Bottom line it sounds like bringing it is not needed so i think we'll go with that.

Comment

I would not bring it. Honestly (and other will back me up on this) I would not go with anything more than the clothes on my back, one extra set, hygiene items, a calling card, and pen, paper, envelopes. When he gets issued stuff and is forced to run from the bus to his BCT company he will be thankful he brought as little as possible. If he were to bring anything with him, I would say just the boots. In the beginning stages of BCT a lot of people have problems with blisters and such and a good, broken in pair of boots would not hurt.

Comment

They have and can acquire anything a soldier would need there.

Comment

one thing he could probably take would be some soft insoles for the boots. That's one of the few things I really really enjoyed paying for in basic. What a difference!

I would say bring a good pair of running shoes but people here say they make you buy new shoes at the PX. (so bring your old **** shoes that will be stored for you).

Comment

the deleted word was u-g-l-y.

Comment

he ended up having to take it. i put his uniform in the backseat of the truck, drove him down to the recruiter on the day he was shipping out, his recruiter made him come back out to the truck and get his uniform.

Naturally at basic he didnt need it and got yelled at for bringing too much stuff (apart from the uniform what he brought could have fit in a small backpack).

Comment

Working...
                        X