Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

    With the Iraq War officially over and the Army downsizing in the face of defense budget pressure, more troops will be making the transition back to civilian life -- a potentially challenging prospect given the state of the economy.

    But for those who want to stay in uniform, there may be a new option emerging -- just not an American one. Australia has put out the "Help Wanted" sign for foreign national veterans.

    "We are looking for serving or ex-serving foreign military personnel, who can directly transfer their job and life skills to whichever Service they join, with limited training and preparation," the Australian Defence Force has announced on its website.

    Jobs to be filled include special forces types, intelligence officers and submariners, according to the announcement, but the separate recruitment pages for each service branch show that the Aussies will consider veterans with a broad range of military experience.

    As the U.S. tightens its defense belt slightly over the next year, the Army and Marine Corps will cut end strength by thousands of men and women. The Army expects to lose about 7,400 Soldiers by October, to reach an end strength of 562,000.

    The Corps eventually plans shrinking its manpower by about 16,000 to reach a total Marine force of 186,800. The Navy already has brought down its numbers by more than 50,000 since reaching a wartime strength of 383,000 during the build-up for the Iraq invasion. It expects to ship another 3,000 Sailors off to civilian life by next fall.


    Only the Air Force expects to add people next year, but just a few hundred; and its end strength of about 333,000 for 2012 will still be about 40,000 Airmen lighter than it was in 2004.

    According to the U.S. State Department, the U.S. and Australia each recognize dual citizenship. Serving in the military of one is not listed as a cause for losing citizenship in the other. The Australian defense site also notes that security clearances acquired while in the U.S. military are transferable to the Australian military.

    "Australia is a great country and staunch ally, and aside from a common language, we share the same values and beliefs," said Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars. "As our military begins to downsize, it could be a great opportunity for those who want to continue serving."

    Among veterans who saw a story on the Aussie recruiting announcement posted to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America site on Tuesday, a number said they would consider making the move Down Under, and some indicated enthusiasm for the idea.

    Ricardo Mireles of Texas, a retired Navy man, posted that if he were just out of the Navy, he'd "be there in a heartbeat, no doubt!"

    "Why not?" posted Laci DeLisle, whose Facebook page shows her in an Army uniform, hugging family members at an airport. "People here are trying to stay in when they don't need us anymore. I'd be down for it. Probably get better accommodations than the U.S. Army provides, but that really wouldn't take much."

    But other posters were adamant they would never wear another country's uniform.

    "Can't ever imagine putting my life on the line for another country," posted Larry Josefowski, an Iraq War veteran and Army reservist in Delaware, "even for Australia."

    Copyright 2011 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • #2
    Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

    Driving on what I deem is the right side of the road is a deal breaker for me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

      I'm wondering if it sounds crazy that I am ctually interested in learning about this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        I'm wondering if it sounds crazy that I am ctually interested in learning about this.
        SSG,

        It seems they have quite a bit of NCO vacancies listed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

          Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          I'm wondering if it sounds crazy that I am ctually interested in learning about this.
          Not crazy. A guy in my unit is putting some real thought into this. However, from what I gather from reading on the internet(take that with a grain...) military service in Australia is not held in nearly the same amount of esteem as it is here in the US. Might be why they are having issues filling their ranks at home.

          Pretty interesting that a country would solicit other countries military service members and verterans to serve. We have excepted other countries former military members into our own before but I don't know that we ever recruited that way.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

            Might be cool to live in Australia for a year or two. I shot the recruiters an email. Ill keep the board posted as to what I find out...in case anyone else gives it thought.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

              Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
              Not crazy. A guy in my unit is putting some real thought into this. However, from what I gather from reading on the internet(take that with a grain...) military service in Australia is not held in nearly the same amount of esteem as it is here in the US. Might be why they are having issues filling their ranks at home.

              Pretty interesting that a country would solicit other countries military service members and verterans to serve. We have excepted other countries former military members into our own before but I don't know that we ever recruited that way.
              Thats actually kind of sad if you think about it that a nation has to ask other people in other nations to serve when it's own refused too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

                It would be nice to wear shorts and their fun hats.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

                  Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  It would be nice to wear shorts and their fun hats.
                  Ha! The shorts! It was always funny seeing the Aussie's running around in those shorts in country.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

                    Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                    Thats actually kind of sad if you think about it that a nation has to ask other people in other nations to serve when it's own refused too.
                    I don't look at as sad that they have to do it all take a minute and think about how much money goes into training every soldier and then each one of us is a green clueless private. By soliciting other countries veterans not only do they get guys who know what they are doing not only from the training they already got but that have already been down range and due to dramatic cuts may get early retirement even though they still want to serve. I think it is ingenious on their part to seize an opportunity such as this and with our relationship with Australia I am sure they have been fighting with us just in much smaller numbers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

                      Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
                      I don't look at as sad that they have to do it all take a minute and think about how much money goes into training every soldier and then each one of us is a green clueless private. By soliciting other countries veterans not only do they get guys who know what they are doing not only from the training they already got but that have already been down range and due to dramatic cuts may get early retirement even though they still want to serve. I think it is ingenious on their part to seize an opportunity such as this and with our relationship with Australia I am sure they have been fighting with us just in much smaller numbers.
                      Don't for a single second think this has anything to do with anything except their people don't put military service as a priortiy; along with their economy is not a trecherous disaster forcing military service to be a top job choice....unlike our country.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

                        Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        Don't for a single second think this has anything to do with anything except their people don't put military service as a priortiy; along with their economy is not a trecherous disaster forcing military service to be a top job choice....unlike our country.
                        At the same time they could simply require people to serve in the military like many other countries already do but this will save them money and I think they probably saw the economic benefit of it as well. And lets all be honest if they were to ever to actually want to attack a country they would make sure that we were right be side them if not in front because they don't have the fire power that we do. They also, at least to my knowledge, didn't fight for their independence from England which is were I feel our appreciation for our military comes from.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X