• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardsman Wins Wrongful Firing Suit

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...awsuit-072111/

Iraq vet awarded $115K in wrongful firing suit

The Associated Press
    Posted : Thursday Jul 21, 2011 12:13:50 EDT
    <form id="hidden"><input id="headline" value="Iraq vet awarded $115K in wrongful firing suit" type="hidden"><input id="body" value="You have been sent an online news article as a courtesy of www.armytimes.com. To view the contents go to:" type="hidden"><input id="url" value="http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/07/ap-iraq-vet-awarded-115k-wrongful-firing-lawsuit-072111/" type="hidden"></form>
    PITTSBURGH — A western Pennsylvania veteran who received the Purple Heart in Iraq has settled his wrongful firing lawsuit against a county jail in western Pennsylvania for $115,000.
    The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says the settlement amount was revealed Thursday following a Right to Know Request.
    Allan Kern, of New Alexandria, settled the lawsuit against Westmoreland County last week. The retired Army National Guard sergeant says he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after returning home from Iraq in 2006. His federal lawsuit claimed his resulting difficulties with judgment and concentration caused him problems after he was hired as a prison guard. He sued claiming he was refused a transfer to a less stressful job and fired in Jan. 2009.
    A county official told the newspaper that the settlement does not require the county to rehire Kern.

Re: Guardsman Wins Wrongful Firing Suit

I'm not sure how I feel about this. He was hired after he came back from Iraq to do a certain job and than was upset they wouldn't transfer him to a less stressful job that he was not hired to do? Since when is it the employers responsibility to transfer people to a job they were not hired for?

Comment

Re: Guardsman Wins Wrongful Firing Suit

I have to agree with RSP NCO on this. What is less stressful in the ranks of prison guards? Someone who works in the kitchen? Probably wanted the same pay for it as well.

Comment

Working...
      X