X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Charged With Being Fake Army Ranger, Larceny

A Greenwich man picked to speak at a Memorial Day event in town about his four tours of duty in Afghanistan turned out to be a fraud, police said.

Jesus M. Garcia, 20, wore a military uniform in public. He claimed he had been wounded while in the Middle East. And he asked friends, family and the public for money to help pay for medical services and other costs.

But Garcia was never actually in the U.S. Army as he had claimed, police said.

Garcia didn't get a chance to speak at the Memorial Day event, and now, he finds himself in a lot of legal trouble.

On Thursday, Greenwich police arrested Garcia, on a warrant for larceny charges and for impersonating a member of the military, according to police spokesman Lt. Kraig Gray.

After an investigation by Greenwich police, military officials confirmed that Garcia had never been in the Army, Gray said in a news release.

Despite the fact he never served, Garcia, who also lists a residence in Hopewell Junction, N.Y., portrayed himself as a former Army Ranger who had been wounded in combat.

Garcia's deceit started to unravel when he met with Greenwich Police Captain James Heavey on May 27, before Garcia was set to speak at the Memorial Day ceremony.

Heavey said that during conversations with Garcia it became apparent that he was a fraud, police said.

An officer began an investigation and Garcia provided a false name and date of birth to him. Garcia was arrested that day and charged with interfering with an officer.

As the investigation into Garcia continued, police said they learned that there were two financial victims of his fraud. They also learned of other incidents where Garcia had publicly posed in uniform as a Soldier, including on his Facebook page.

Police said they discovered that Garcia split his time living between his two homes and was able to explain his extended absences from his Greenwich residence while he was in Hopewell Junction as military-related and vice versa.

Garcia, who lives in an apartment on Armstrong Court while in Greenwich, was charged with felony fifth-degree larceny, sixth-degree larceny, four counts of fraudulent use of military insignia and false representation of an armed forces uniform.

Garcia was released after posting $2,500 bond and is set to appear in Superior Court in Stamford on June 24.

Re: Man Charged With Being Fake Army Ranger, Larceny

People lie about this stuff all the time. Its good that some of them get caught, but the vast majority go without question. We dont have to post every time something like this comes out. There are numerous posts just like this already here with other individuals charged with this same motive. This isnt News, its just someone living a lie. I had a PFC next to me in the DFAC 2 days ago, filling my head with something along these lines. I wasnt in uniform so I guess he thought I would listen. Chuck Norris had nothing on this kid, he is lucky I like stories.

Comment

Sad being...

Comment

What is amazing is that he actually got a Ranger tattoo to lead people to believe him. Very sad and strange.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...harges-062011/
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM. Reason: added link via icon and it added extra colon. now fixed.

Comment

Erase the last colon in that link to see it.

Comment

Some people want so bad to be in...

others want so bad to be out...

bahaha.

Comment

Working...
            X