• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill would lift combat restrictions for women

Bill would lift combat restrictions for women
    armytimes.com
    By Rick Maze - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday May 20, 2011 10:02:25 EDT

Next week’s House debate on the 2012 defense budget could include a vote on landmark legislation that would lift the last barriers to women serving in combat jobs in the U.S. military.

Rep. Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif., a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee, has prepared an amendment repealing the policy that prevents women from serving in front-line combat units in the Army and Marine Corps.

The House is scheduled to take up HR 1540, the 2012 defense authorization bill, next week with plans to pass the $689 billion policy bill by Memorial Day.

Sanchez’s amendment would implement a recommendation made earlier this year by the Military Leadership Diversity Committee, a group of current and retired officers, noncommissioned officers and civilians, which determined that combat exclusion laws hurt advancement opportunities for women. The final report of the commission was due at the end of March but has been delayed until later this year because defense officials said it needed more study.

Sanchez, however, does not want to wait for the final report.

Her legislation, called the Women’s Fair and Equal Right to Military Service Act, cites ongoing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan as proof women are already serving in the thick of combat. More than 260,000 women have served in Operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom and New Dawn, and more than 25,000 are serving in the two combat theaters today, the legislation says.

As of April 1, a total of 137 women have died in the combat zones, with more than 60 killed in combat, showing women are involved in direct ground combat despite the exclusion policy, according to findings included in the bill.

Sanchez’s bill would repeal the ground combat exclusion from the law but would leave the date of any change to the Defense Department and the services, which are directed to come up with policies that “do not restrict members of the armed forces from assignments to units and positions based on gender.”

Policy changes would have to be briefed to Congress at least 30 legislative days before they would take effect, giving time for lawmakers to order changes.

hmmmmm.....Chaplain4me was right again.

Other perdictions for 2012!
    • The End of the World.
    • SGT Bart will reenlist.
    • WOQ will make a reappearance on the forum, and will result in armageddon. The Moderators initially will be overcome by his new found power because he will be assisted by Draco, and his legion of banned members. The Dark forces of WOQ will be undone by gabe, another banned member, who will turn traitor. The final battle will be when LTC Rittiche and his Platoon of faithful moderators will throw WOQ into eternal blackness.
    • Chaplain4me will finally achieve senior member status.
    • Devil Dog will explode in spontaneous combustion, due to over medication.
    • Chaplain4me will become a chaplain.
    • The Bears will win the superbowl.
      Justin Bieber will release the sequel to his first movie.

Re: Bill would lift combat restrictions for women

Right about what? That they are going to vote? No one ever doubted that. Passing the bill is another story.

Personally, people that have never served in active ground combat should not be able to recommend ****, because they don't know what they are recommending. I could care less about a study.

I'm in the military, and I sure wouldn't be expected to sit on a board and make recommendations to the Aviation community, or AMEDD...why? Cause I don't know ****.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Right about what? That they are going to vote? No one ever doubted that. Passing the bill is another story.

Personally, people that have never served in active ground combat should not be able to recommend ****, because they don't know what they are recommending. I could care less about a study.

I'm in the military, and I sure wouldn't be expected to sit on a board and make recommendations to the Aviation community, or AMEDD...why? Cause I don't know ****.
      Thats why you should write to your elected representatives and explain your concerns to them plus get others you know to do the same.

Comment

""Patience young grasshopper."" - Kung Fu series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

This has FAIL written all over it, pass or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
            Correct........

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
              Wow, that's a good zinger.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                hmmmmm.....Chaplain4me was right again.

Other perdictions for 2012!
                [LIST][*]The End of the World.
                It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine lol

Comment

Attempt at political points from someone who has no idea of the results of such a change.

Comment

So they want to put lives in jeopardy because combat exclusion laws hurt advancement opportunities for women? Sure, lets compromise the soldier's in combat units so woman can get promoted faster. GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LRS_Paratrooper View Post
                      So they want to put lives in jeopardy because combat exclusion laws hurt advancement opportunities for women? Sure, lets compromise the soldier's in combat units so woman can get promoted faster. GREAT IDEA!!!!!!
                      They are absolute, absolute idiots. If this passes, I want a waiter job a hooter$.

Comment

They are absolute, absolute idiots. If this passes, I want a waiter job a hooter$.

Quote of the year.

Comment

Do you think the big problem is weight?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPC View Post
                            Do you think the big problem is weight?
                            Physical limitions and hygien. Plus I don't want to deal with the extra bull **** that will come along with having women in a combat arms unit. There are already enough factors that effect combat rediness, this is another that is unnecessary.

Comment

I don’t understand how excluding women from combat arms limits our advancement opportunities? (from OP) Women have been rising through the ranks all the way up to Lt. Colonels, Colonels, Generals and Admiral without having to be in a combat arms role. This bill will introduce additional MOS opportunities but does not necessarily ensure successful advancement, simply because the once prohibited roles are now available to them.

Why is assumed that once combat arms roles are open to women that ‘’then you’ll really see some women advancing through the ranks’’; Really?? I don’t see how having this role limitation limits our advancement opportunities at all; I intend to go as far as I can within the officer ranks before I retire an, by no means, is not being allowed to drive a tank going to stop me from doing it.

This is being sought purely as part of a political agenda and by no means represents or reflects a true necessity or opportunity for women and feel that it is being championed by (politicians or combat-eager females) those who are simply trying to make a name for themselves in the headlines. I sit and talk with female WWII vets as well as present day female soldiers of all ranks and never once have I heard of anyone complain that their military career could have gone farther ‘if only’ they had not be prohibited to fight on the front lines.

This may ‘be coming whether the military likes it or not’, but I see it as disastrous. Where does it say that I have to be treated exactly as man and have exactly the same job descriptions open to me otherwise I am being held back from being successful?

Besides hygiene and feminine issues & physical limitations, there is a whole laundry list of reasons why this could and will adversely affect unit cohesiveness and effectiveness by adding women into the mix ‘just so it’s fair’.

I am probably one of the few women I know who feel this way, but this bill is being pushed in haste at time when this type of experimentation is not at all prudent.
                              Last edited by Chris36; May 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM. Reason: 'Epic Fail' is probably a little harsh and mostly presumptuous....

Comment

Working...
                              X