Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers Participate in "Guard the Environment"

Posted at: 10/15/2010 8:20 AM | Updated at: 10/15/2010 9:08 AM

Approximately 200 Soldiers of the Minnesota Army National Guard Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP) will participate in a "Guard the Environment" event over two weekends in October.

The "Guard the Environment" is a nationwide event with over 300 units performing environmentally-friendly activities over October 16-17 and 23-24.

Soldiers will meet at different sites and conduct various clean-up efforts from beautification of parks to clean-up of riverbanks, lakeshores and highways. The following communities in Minnesota have been identified for the clean-up effort: Glenwood, New Ulm, Willmar, Montevideo, Moorhead, Mankato and Brainerd.

Today's Army National Guard puts a high priority on educating and training its members to be positive stewards of our environment. It starts the moment recruits become a part of the Guard and this is why RSP units are engaging in green activities during their drills. The Army National Guard's core mission is to protect our country and by focusing on the communities that make up the Guard. The Army National Guard is leading the way in showing how even a massive, nationwide military organization can minimize its impact on the environment while maximizing its use of sustainable practices like renewable energy and pollution prevention.

"The Minnesota Army National Guard is a part of the community. The environment is a part of the community and we are going to do our job to help. This is a local effort to work with our community and every little bit counts." stated Command Sgt. Maj. Tim Bebus, Command Sergeant Major for the Recruiting and Retention Battalion, Minnesota Army National Guard.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 17th, 2011, 11:18 PM.

Re: Soldiers Participate in "Guard the Environment"

I think it's awesome, and I'd be happy to be involved, but then that's basically what I want to do as a career. It gets soldiers out there in the public eye in a positive way, helping the community they raised their hands to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
      The military is already the most trusted part of the government.

How about Guard the Constitution?

Or Guard the Innocent?

Something more in line with its mission!!!

We swore no oath to Guard the Enviroment. Unless I missed something.
      Thats the EPA's job

Comment

We are still very much a country at war.
        Were at war with pollution! lol Remember the power is yours

Comment

So, I shouldn't have to rake the dirt anymore!?

Comment

I think it's somewhat disingenuous because potential recruits may view the Guard as something it's not.
            Isn't that the whole point of recruiting?

Comment

Or Guard the Innocent?

Comment

This was MANDATED by NGB and we had to do it in VA as well at all our RSP locations. They dropped it on us 2 weeks before drill for us to try to coordinate and set something up last minute. We ended up cleaning up trash along a highway. We even have handy dandy "guard the environment" t-shirts that we all had to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  This was MANDATED by NGB and we had to do it in VA as well at all our RSP locations. They dropped it on us 2 weeks before drill for us to try to coordinate and set something up last minute. We ended up cleaning up trash along a highway. We even have handy dandy "guard the environment" t-shirts that we all had to wear.
                  They weren't orange were they? Wouldn't want to get you confused with those other guys cleaning the highway.

Comment

I could post groovy pictures later, they were posted in the NGB RSP newsletter. But we did have them wearing reflective vest...SAFETY FIRST...getting ready to ship to basic second

Comment

Or Guard the Innocent?

You must have forgotten about us having two missions, one to protect our country and the second to our state. I find it appalling that a commisioned officer would speak negatively about a positive mission within our community.

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Have a great Earth Week!!!
                        Last edited by Chaplain4me; April 17th, 2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          Protecting the State has no relation to the envrioment.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
                          If we don't save the enviroment then the terrorists win!

Comment

Seems very political to me. Planting trees and flowerbeds next? In a time of war?

(Just realizes this happened back in October!)
                            Last edited by SteveLord; April 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Not trying to change the subject as I think its on topic and getting away from debating...

Couple weeks ago a SGT in my section in conversation says that all NG Soldiers are supposed to do some sort of volunteer work in their hometown. I'll just leave it at that and not mention the type of person she is. I know it isnt entirely true as I havent read it and I read most things given to us and I hadnt heard it much before and what I had heard wasnt exactly what she said. Just curious if anyone knows if there is any truth to that. )

Comment

Working...
                              X