X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EANGUS Veterans Status for Title 32 service issue

I just got this email from the EANGUS, and since there has been similar questions/comments about this issue posted on this forum in the past, I thought that this was appropriate.

The Call 11-2: Veterans Status for Title 32 service.

Introduction:
    It may come as surprise to most that a Guardsman, who serves twenty years in uniform, is not automatically considered a veteran.

The Issue:
    Currently, if members of the National Guard and Reserve have not served a qualifying period of active duty service, they are not considered to be veterans under Federal law. Just one of the requirements, barring many Title 32 Guardsmen from being recognized as veterans, is that they did not serve at least 180 continuous days on federal, Title 10, status.

Background:
    Congressman Tim Walz has introduced H.R. 1025, the Honor America’s Guard-Reserve Retirees Act of 2011. Last Congress, similar legislation had passed the House, but died in the Senate. H.R.1025 will amend Title 38, United States Code, to recognize the service in the reserve components of certain persons by honoring them with status as veterans under law.

http://capwiz.com/eangus/issues/alert/?alertid=37600526

I am not sure if you need to be a member to respond, but this is a very good organization to be a member of, and it addresses a lot of issues in respect to the National Guard that many may not be aware of - as well providing local functions to the state NG members and auxillary.
Working...
X