X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Troops May Miss Paychecks in a Shutdown

Troops would be forced to work without pay if the federal budget impasse leads to a government shutdown, according to multiple reports citing draft guidance circulating at the Pentagon.

The government has been funded by a series of continuing resolutions since the fiscal year began in October, but the current temporary measure expires on March 18. Should the deadline pass without another extension, servicemembers would begin missing paychecks if the shutdown lasts beyond April 1, the Air Force Times reported. It noted, however, that troops – and Defense Department civilians deemed essential and required to stay on – would receive back pay once the budget situation is resolved.

DOD civilians ruled nonessential would be furloughed in a shutdown and it was not clear whether they would be eligible for back pay.

During the last government shutdown in 1995, servicemembers continued to work and continued to receive their pay.

On Wednesday, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., called on Congress to pass a bill that would fund the military regardless of whether an agreement can be reached on the full federal budget. It would be irresponsible for Congress to “continue to fund the Department of Defense by passing two week-by-two week continuing resolutions while we are fighting two wars,” he said in a statement.

Re: Report: Troops May Miss Paychecks in a Shutdown

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
    On Wednesday, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., called on Congress to pass a bill that would fund the military regardless of whether an agreement can be reached on the full federal budget. It would be irresponsible for Congress to “continue to fund the Department of Defense by passing two week-by-two week continuing resolutions while we are fighting two wars,” he said in a statement.
    Don't forget being in multiple countries, including Japan now! lol. As Jerry McGuire would say.... "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!" lol

Comment

Speaking of Japan is there any news on how our troops that we have stationed there are doing? Any reports of injuries or damages to our forces? Hopefully not but I was curious about that.

Comment

The Marine Corps bases were reported as not listing any casualties and some affected with only minimal damage.

Comment

Oh...so now there is an actual REAL excuse for a soldier not getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            The Marine Corps bases were reported as not listing any casualties and some affected with only minimal damage.
            Well we should be thankful that they are ok

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
              Don't forget being in multiple countries, including Japan now! lol. As Jerry McGuire would say.... "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!" lol
              I wanted to add that troops being forced to work without pay would not fall under Charlie Sheen's definition of "(bi)-winning."

Comment

and now idk if anyone has been following it but they are passing another temporary bill for another 3 weeks. So they are going to have till april 8 to make a bill now.

Comment

Just checked my account and my pay hit today. Gotta love USAA

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    Just checked my account and my pay hit today. Gotta love USAA
                    Even in my civilian job my checks normally get deposited and clear in Bank of America on friday, but with USAA they deposit and clear thursday. If you don't have USAA, you are wrong. Car insurance, banking, etc, do yourselves a favor and get on the USAA bandwagon

Comment

A few key points about a "government shutdown:"
                      1. Anything directly related to a mobilization, deployment, or combat operations continues. There are legal and budgetary provisions to address these issues.
                      2. Active component service members (to include AGR and most ADOS personnel) will continue on duty as normal. They will eventually get paid, although potentially delayed.
                      3. Inactive duty Soldiers (i.e., Traditional Guardsmen) will not report to duty. This may mean a cancellation of drill, AT, and other training.
                      4. Traditional Guardsmen in a training status will return to their homes of record with all deliberate speed. This is potentially the most disruptive aspect of a shutdown.
                      5. Civilian workers (to include dual-status technicians) will not report to work, and will not get paid for time missed.
                      6. State workers and non-appropriated funds employees (e.g., clerks at the post snack bar, bowling alley) will continue to work as normal. Since they are paid from sources other than federal appropriations, their pay is not directly affected by a shutdown.

Caveats: These statements are all simplifications, and Congress can take action to change or modify the conditions for some or all of those involved. Nevertheless, this is a quick summary of the major impacts of a shutdown.

Comment

One question, it doesn't affect me, but are Tuition assistance etc., also affected or does all that come from other sources?

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                          A few key points about a "government shutdown:"
                          1. Anything directly related to a mobilization, deployment, or combat operations continues. There are legal and budgetary provisions to address these issues.
                          2. Active component service members (to include AGR and most ADOS personnel) will continue on duty as normal. They will eventually get paid, although potentially delayed.
                          3. Inactive duty Soldiers (i.e., Traditional Guardsmen) will not report to duty. This may mean a cancellation of drill, AT, and other training.
                          4. Traditional Guardsmen in a training status will return to their homes of record with all deliberate speed. This is potentially the most disruptive aspect of a shutdown.
                          5. Civilian workers (to include dual-status technicians) will not report to work, and will not get paid for time missed.
                          6. State workers and non-appropriated funds employees (e.g., clerks at the post snack bar, bowling alley) will continue to work as normal. Since they are paid from sources other than federal appropriations, their pay is not directly affected by a shutdown.

Caveats: These statements are all simplifications, and Congress can take action to change or modify the conditions for some or all of those involved. Nevertheless, this is a quick summary of the major impacts of a shutdown.
                          This could potentially su ck for those of us that are suppose to ship in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                            This could potentially su ck for those of us that are suppose to ship in a couple weeks.
                            Such as yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                              Such as yourself?
                              That's a fact, Jack. Ft. Benning 20110405. As if losing a month's pay as well as a massive cut to go to OSUT wasn't bad enough--either way, if congress doesn't get their ducks in a row I'm screwed. I've already turned in my military leave of absence and hired a substitute for my classes. Hopefully, if my ship date gets canceled it will get cancelled before I ship, so I can at least terminate her schedule and go back to work. To ship all the way down to Benning for nothing would be total garbage.

Comment

Working...
                              X