X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Too White, Too Male

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is too white and too male at the top and needs to change recruiting and promotion policies, an independent report for Congress said Monday.

Seventy-seven percent of senior officers in the active-duty military are white, while only 8 percent are black, 5 percent are Hispanic and 16 percent are women, the report by an independent panel said, quoting data from September 2008.

The report ordered by Congress in 2009 calls for greater diversity in the military's leadership so it will better reflect the racial, ethnic and gender mix in the armed forces and in American society.

Efforts over the years to develop a more equal opportunity military have increased the number of women and racial and ethnic minorities in the ranks of leadership. But, the report said, "despite undeniable successes ... the armed forces have not yet succeeded in developing a continuing stream of leaders who are as diverse as the nation they serve."

"This problem will only become more acute as the racial, ethnic and cultural makeup of the United States continues to change," said the report from the Military Leadership Diversity Commission, whose more than two dozen members included current and former military personnel as well as businessmen and other civilians.

Having military brass that better mirrors the nation can inspire future recruits and help create trust among the general population, the commission said.

Stretching the definition of diversity, the report also said the military must harness people with a greater range of skills and backgrounds in, for instance, cyber systems, languages and cultural knowledge to be able to operate in an era of new threats and to collaborate with international partners and others.

Re: Report: Too White, Too Male

oh geezzz...

Comment

o13 that is the article I listed in your women in combat thread.

Comment

I ******* hate politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          I ******* hate politicians.
          Have you considered writing to them or better yet running for office yourself?

Comment

Statistics can be manipulated to paint any picture you want, until I see the DATA the precentages mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
              Have you considered writing to them or better yet running for office yourself?
              I couldn't be and don't want to be a politician as it is not in me to sell my soul for a vote.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                I couldn't be and don't want to be a politician as it is not in me to sell my soul for a vote.
                The reason I ask that back there is because we always here about how this politician and that politician wants to change the way things work in the service and you would think that at some point a service member themselves would have run for office to do something about it or try and be some kind of an advocate for the military. Now an Active Duty service member can't run but a member of the National Guard and Reserves can.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                  The reason I ask that back there is because we always here about how this politician and that politician wants to change the way things work in the service and you would think that at some point a service member themselves would have run for office to do something about it or try and be some kind of an advocate for the military. Now an Active Duty service member can't run but a member of the National Guard and Reserves can.
                  Another LT in the infantry company I support is actually the mayor of his hometown as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                    Another LT in the infantry company I support is actually the mayor of his hometown as well.
                    While I was deployed I became friends with a girl that was deployed from the Hawaii NG. She was actually a state representative before she deployed and she was only like 24!

Comment

It would be a good thing if we could have more members in the Federal and state goverments

Comment

Working...
                      X