X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we really need vehicle decals?

So today I was going to go shopping at NEX with some of my battle buddies at the naval base, once we reached the gate I showed them my id, and expected to go through. However they stopped us, and asked where is my vehicle decal? I wasn't issued one since I only visit the AFB and Army bases. So they told me to go to the visitors center and get a decal. However when I went there, the line was too long. So we just went to one of my friend's house and took his decal off his car, and put it on mine, and we went right on through no questions asked.

Question is, do we really need it? I mean we can just steal them off used cars, or borrow them. Also there might be anti military groups that target military member's and they might break my windows or something.

Re: Do we really need vehicle decals?

What you did was wrong. Those decals are specifically registered to a vehicle. If the MPs stopped you, you could of gotten into big trouble if they checked that sticker.

Since you are a SM, I suggest you get a base decal which would be good for three years to enter any military installation.

You cannot steal them or borrow them and that is an offense.

You gave the slip to the gate guards this time; next time you might not be so lucky.

Always do the right thing. Adhere to Army Values.

Comment

Integrity.

Also, it shows that you checked out with a military installation so you're good to go.

Without it, you could also be sitting through the non-decal line and have to get your car inspected. It's worth the decal of YOUR OWN.

Comment

Spot on Teuvil. All SMs need that but since he is aspiring to be an officer, I was taken back by his actions.

Comment

You stole a vehicle decal because you didn't feel like waiting in a line, and then you fraudulently displayed it on a vehicle to which it was not registered? Make sure you mention that when you put your package together for that commission you mention in your signature line. Or you can lie about it. That works to.

Comment

Overseas they recommend that you remove the decals from your vehicles (they should have been removed first before clearing your stateside post) but sometimes a second vehicle slips through the cracks. And yes, having a sticker can pose a risk to yourself and your family but stateside, they are essential.

Comment

OP- Everyone's said it already, but I'm going to reiterate: don't do that **** again. It's a simple rule to follow. The line was long? Come on. That was irresponsible and could have gotten you a massive fine or worse. As someone who wants to be a future officer, that was a serious lack of judgement.

Everyone else- Small piece of info, but you should all be hearing(if you haven't already heard) about a new program called DBIDS. Go on the post and usually the welcome center does it for you. It's just an update to your Mil ID that puts your picture on the chip in the card. Starting soon, when you go on post they will scan that and match your picture up. If you don't look like the picture, you are detained on site. This is because people were finding ways to put their picture over the original pic on the card itself. They are doing away with the decals soon due to the risk it poses, both OCONUS and stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                OP- Everyone's said it already, but I'm going to reiterate: don't do that **** again. It's a simple rule to follow. The line was long? Come on. That was irresponsible and could have gotten you a massive fine or worse. As someone who wants to be a future officer, that was a serious lack of judgement.

Everyone else- Small piece of info, but you should all be hearing(if you haven't already heard) about a new program called DBIDS. Go on the post and usually the welcome center does it for you. It's just an update to your Mil ID that puts your picture on the chip in the card. Starting soon, when you go on post they will scan that and match your picture up. If you don't look like the picture, you are detained on site. This is because people were finding ways to put their picture over the original pic on the card itself. They are doing away with the decals soon due to the risk it poses, both OCONUS and stateside.
                They already do it in Europe. I get scanned all the time.

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/opm/iacs/Help/faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  They already do it in Europe. I get scanned all the time.

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/opm/iacs/Help/faq.html
                  That's good, I've wished they would start it here soon. The decal is a horrible way of judging military personnel, as we have learned from this post.

Comment

While I totally agree with all of you, I'm proud to say I got a little red decal of my own today. It's just I'm worried some military hate person might key my car, or do something worse. Now I know I sound like an ***, but this is the first time I've been told I can't enter because of a dumb sticker. Why is the Navy the only branch here requiring decals anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
                      While I totally agree with all of you, I'm proud to say I got a little red decal of my own today. It's just I'm worried some military hate person might key my car, or do something worse. Now I know I sound like an ***, but this is the first time I've been told I can't enter because of a dumb sticker. Why is the Navy the only branch here requiring decals anyway?
                      I been to Army installations that you needed a decal or you were not getting on. Happened to me last at Fort Hamilton, NY (Brooklyn). Regardless if you have a valid military ID card.

Comment

It seems to me to be entirely dependent on the installation. Generally speaking, larger/more active bases will be more picky about decals. I lived on base while on active duty and couldn't even get a rental car on base-and this was a car that I rented from the PX on base-without getting a temporary pass for it. The only vehicles that got on base without decals or temporary passes were tactical vehicles. Now at the Air Force Reserve base 5 minutes from my house, I can get on in my POV (no decal) with no problems at all. I even asked the SF Airman at the gate once if I should get a decal. He said not to bother, they weren't necessary unless I worked on the base or needed access to the flight line. I just use the gym and track a few evenings a week, so I don't need a decal. At the Army depot where I did some commo training for a few weeks, I needed two different passes because there was an outer gate and an inner gate for the "high tech" area, which is where our classrooms were. Long story short, if they say you need a decal, then you need a decal. C'est la vie.

EDIT: Regarding the base where I was stationed on active duty, even taxis and pizza delivery vehicles and whatnot needed special passes to get on base. The pizza chains in the area hired a lot of military personnel as drivers for on-base orders because it was less of a hassle to get them onto the base.
                        Last edited by 0844; March 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

When you get a decal just be careful putting them on, I always tear them part for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
                            It's just I'm worried some military hate person might key my car, or do something worse.

I've never seen that happen. In fact, I usually get out of tickets when they check my state inspection sticker and notice a huge, red "Fort Belvoir" sticker next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
                              I've never seen that happen. In fact, I usually get out of tickets when they check my state inspection sticker and notice a huge, red "Fort Belvoir" sticker next to it.
                              Exactly. I never had issues in decades. The sticker might get you out of a ticket.

Comment

Working...
                              X