• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Sugar takes care of his own!

Mil Pay Competitive With Private Sector
    April 29, 2010
    American Forces Press Service|by Lisa Daniel

Military compensation is competing well against the private sector, as evidenced by the high rate of recruitment and retention, a Defense Department official told a Senate subcommittee.

Therefore, the department is focusing on targeted special pays and bonuses as an efficient means to give incentives for people to sign up for hard-to-fill and hard-to-retain specialties, William J. Carr, deputy undersecretary of defense for personnel policy, told the Senate Armed Services Committee's personnel subcommittee.

Using regular military compensation - basic pay combined with housing and food allowances and federal tax advantages - as a comparison, military members are paid higher than 70 percent of their private-sector peers of similar education and experience, Carr said.

A $340 million investment in such pays could provide $30,000 bonuses to more than 11,000 servicemembers the military especially needs, Carr said, while the same amount would buy only a 0.5 percent across-the-board basic pay raise for all servicemembers. At the same time, however, it is important to ensure regular compensation remains competitive, he said, noting the department's request for a 1.4 percent across-the-board pay increase for next year.

Carr called specialty and incentive pays "essential," especially for special operations forces and people with medical, dentistry, mental health, aviation and nuclear skills. The services paid out $6.4 billion in specialty pays last year, comprising 4.4 percent of the personnel budget. The department is requesting $5.6 billion for 2011.

The decrease does not mean such targeted incentives are less important, Carr said. Rather, he explained, it reflects less need to use them during the slow economic recovery.

When recruiting and retention dropped in the strong job market of the late 1990s, Congress and Defense Department officials reacted quickly, Carr said. Since 2002, pay has risen 42 percent, housing allowance has gone up by 83 percent, and the subsistence allowance has grown by 40 percent, he said, compared to a 32 percent rise in private-sector salaries.
    Three outside military experts - Brenda Farrell of the Government Accountability Office, Carla Tighe Murray of the Congressional Budget Office and James Hosek of the RAND Corporation think tank's national security division - testified with Carr and agreed that the overall military compensation package compares well against the private sector, with some studies placing military compensation equal to or greater than 80 percent of their civilian counterparts.

Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a former Navy secretary who chairs the subcommittee, said military pay has risen dramatically in the three decades of the all-volunteer force.

* Uncle Sugar really takes care of his troops. A married E1 stationed at Fort Jackson SC that is 18 y/o with a HSD and little to no skill set makes over $35K per year! Not too shabby.

Military is the only place in the world that "pays you more" to get married. The single soldier gets "%$#@ed"!

HRC should devise a bonus to the single joes if you stay single you get an extra $500 per month. This would cut down on the "instant marriages", high divorce rate, save THE TAXPAYERS MONEY, and it would boost morale amoung the single soldiers.

The longer you stayed single you would get a 20% increase per year on your anniversary. The "single bonus" would max out at $1,000 per month. Note this single bonus would be a tax free allowance and it would save billions of dollars.

Re: Uncle Sugar takes care of his own!

That's it, I'm staying single forever.

I would totally reclass to a needed MOS too.

Comment

effffffffffffffffffff I got robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However i still love my wife

Comment

Technically, the military boosts your HOUSING allowance for having DEPENDANTS. It not intended as a bonus for married people.

By the way, BAH is not just for your mortgage/rent. It's also calculated for utility use, garbage, sewer, etc and insurance. Having 2+ individuals under 1 roof = increased utility use. And if you can find a 1 bedroom house of comparable features and location, priced the same as a 2+ bedroom...I'd like to see it.

Also, the "entitlement" mindset you're insinuating applies to single people whining about not getting extra BAH.
        Last edited by SteveLord; April 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Can my cat be classes a dependent.

Comment

Up to $1,000 extra a month for being single?

That's some serious change.

Comment

Of course I'm speaking more from the AD side. It is sad that so many "newbies" rush out to marry ole suzie just for the extra money bennies. It happens all too much. If you don't believe it then your blinded by your bias.

The Government created this "dependency" state. We live in the generation of entitlement and equalism. Members in the military make EXCELLENT WAGES along with EXCELLENT PERKS.

The median (ave)Truck driver with 10 yrs of OTR drivng experience driving 2500 miles per week earns gross $800 per week or 42K per year + pays 1/2 nsurance.

88M 10 yrs TIS E6 drives maybe 500 miles a week. Married makes 34,779 in base pay, BAS 3,876, and BHA(Ft Campbell or you pick the location)$13,716. Gross income w/entitlements $52,371

Base it on skill set for skill set. You can pick just about any MOS....Uncle Sugar does pay well.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                Up to $1,000 extra a month for being single?

That's some serious change.
                Think of the monetary savings to the DOD just in wages, and health care expenditures. Not too mention the social aspect; reduction in married Pvts, and divorces.

Boost morale, pay equity, and discourage getting married just for the money! Win -win

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC

The median (ave)Truck driver with 10 yrs of OTR drivng experience driving 2500 miles per week earns gross $800 per week or 42K per year + pays 1/2 nsurance.
                  And if the United States is overrun, he has no obligation to give his life for anyone. He also has .000001% chance to hit a car bomb driving down the Highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                    And if the United States is overrun, he has no obligation to give his life for anyone. He also has .000001% chance to hit a car bomb driving down the Highway.
                    As far as country being over run....there is about 10-20 million perpetrators already succeeded. Trust me if our country was invaded the American talibans would be 10x worst than what we see over in the middle east.

You never drove a tractor trailer into NYC, Chicago, or LA...definitely "hazardous duty"....Oops I forgot to add the extra for hazardous duty pay, Combat pay, family separation pay, and TAX FREE ZONE....
                    Last edited by 7011USMC; April 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Truck drivers also do not have to perform PT daily, conform to physical fitness standards, adhere to uniform appearance standards (most don't wear uniforms at all), qualify with weapons, qualify soldier tasks, etc etc.

The basic responsibilities of a civilian truck driver is to load/unload goods (many dont even have to do this), get goods from A to B, refuel truck, do paperwork for goods and maintain the truck.

I am sure it varies by employer, but isn't that the gist of it? If not, please educate me.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                        Truck drivers also do not have to perform PT daily, conform to physical fitness standards, adhere to uniform appearance standards (most don't wear uniforms at all), qualify with weapons, qualify soldier tasks, etc etc.

The basic responsibilities of a civilian truck driver is to load/unload goods (many dont even have to do this), get goods from A to B, refuel truck, do paperwork for goods and maintain the truck.

I am sure it varies by employer, but isn't that the gist of it? If not, please educate me.
                        All true in job discription . The discussion is based on pay not collateral duties. The civilian doesn't get paid more by his employer for his dependents, for room/board, utilities etc. Of course you have to do soldiering skills if your in the military.

Yet how many days a year do you get off on AD as far weekend 72 and 96 hour passes? 30 days leave etc. Your lucky to get a week after working a year and only getting 6 holidays off per year (let alone paid).

What I'm getting at is simple "Uncle Sugar" takes darn good care of its people. There is no comparison to the MWR, family services, Legal services, base facilities etc.

I hear all the time from Joes about getting "screwed" and not making enough money which in my opinion is total BS. If anything they are OVERPAID in comparison to the local and national economy!

Military life can be strenuous....but for the most part it is all GRAVY. 20 and out is nice

Comment

rofl when i got married i didnt even know about extra housing money til she told me.

that was when i was thinking about doing active duty though. then i find out we get BAH as well during BCT/AIT/ I guess i actually do benefit from this marriage however she has a shopping problem so im wondering who this does really benefit but hey buy me some saints tickets and im hushed for a few months.

but back to the topic at hand. I do think it is good for single people. Mainly because living the bachelor life is harder than married life. You have to wine and dine. Furnish your pad just right. Not to mention you need a dog to go jogging with on the beach or around the city. Throw in car payments and you are worse off. do the math 10 girls per month at least x at least 150 per date dollars because thats that.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                            All true in job discription . The discussion is based on pay not collateral duties.
                            But I don't think you can't leave this out of the equation becausetypically, in jobs....you get paid more depending on the amount of duties you have, the amount of skill/education required to perform them and your area’s cost of living if you want to go there.

Don’t forget that the soldier is also on a X year contract. It is unlawful for him to not show up to work….and it’s unlawful to quit. And can be ordered to transfer or deploy to dangerous areas all the time. A civilian can leave one job today and be at another tomorrow.

Now, I agree that soldiers of today are compensated very well. Throw in the benefits and it’s a pretty good gig. But there ARE MANY civilian positions out there that pay much more than the military counterparts.

Comment

That is very true stevelord. I know several 42As making upwards of 60k per year.

Comment

Working...
                              X