Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say It Ain't So....

http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/201...o-whoppers-dq/

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by morale, welfare and recreation command Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on “non-essentials” in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S. and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

Re: Say It Ain't So....

Haven't been to a war zone yet, so I don't really know what kind of morale impact this would have. But, I haven't eaten fast food in years anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
      Haven't been to a war zone yet, so I don't really know what kind of morale impact this would have. But, I haven't eaten fast food in years anyway.
      I never ate that crap when I was over there. It's not even the same as it is in Amurrica imo.

Comment

I tried McDonald's once in Iraq. It tasted funny, not gross, but just different. There will be **** to pay, though, if they ever get rid of the Cinnabon on BIAP .

Comment

Originally posted by 0844
          I tried McDonald's once in Iraq. It tasted funny, not gross, but just different. There will be **** to pay, though, if they ever get rid of the Cinnabon on BIAP .
          lol I never had it there, I was always tempted though. I only liked the Subway at Sather and I went to taco bell on victory once.

Comment

However, the coffee shop is staying...

Guess the boss likes his morning joe...and afternoon frappi-latte-chino-ring-dang-coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
              However, the coffee shop is staying...

Guess the boss likes his morning joe...and afternoon frappi-latte-chino-ring-dang-coyote.
              I've never met a captain or above that can survive without the morning joe. Making coffee in combat is like a religious ritual.

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino
                I've never met a captain or above that can survive without the morning joe. Making coffee in combat is like a religious ritual.
                The same can be said of E-5's and above, guess it comes with the territory of getting up before the troops.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                  The same can be said of E-5's and above, guess it comes with the territory of getting up before the troops.
                  Lol, I'm a pretty new E-5, but come next deployment, I'll probably be a coffee addict. I'm already a Red Bull addict.

Comment

Rip-Its

it does the body good.

Comment

They're just moving them to the basic training sites, that's all. Right across from the barracks.

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
                        http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/201...o-whoppers-dq/

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by morale, welfare and recreation command Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on “non-essentials” in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S. and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.
                        The frivilous luxuries on the main bases created some resentment for those stationed at more austere locations. I don't think we should make the FOBs too nice, because that encourages people to stay, and not get out into the countryside where the war is. When Afghanistan becomes Korea, then we can bring all that stuff back.

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino
                          Having spent five years in Marine artillery, I can tell you that the speed and accuracy of the fire support that troops receive is directly proportional to the amount of coffee flowing through the FDC. It is the sweet nectar of life.

Comment

A bullet can wake you up faster than a cup of coffee. Feel the pain of others, get up, and do your job =P

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                              Rip-Its

it does the body good.
                              Ewww. I remember whenever the shipments of Monster and other energy drinks came in, it was like fighting over Jonas Brothers tickets with a gang of 12 year olds. I was able to snag a 24 pack of Monster and sold them to the other soldiers in the unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X