X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***ual assault reports rise in US military: Pentagon report

I hope it's just reporting effort like they say and not a rise in actual assualts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100316...litarycrime***

WASHINGTON (AFP) The number of reports of ***ual assault in the US military rose by 11 percent in 2009, the Pentagon announced on Tuesday.

The Defense Department attributed the spike in part to efforts to encourage victims to report such assaults.

The department recorded 3,230 complaints of ***ual assault in fiscal year 2009, which involved members of the military -- either as victims or as perpetrators, it said.

That number compared to 2,908 recorded in 2008, which had represented an increase of eight percent over the previous year, according to an annual report.

Pentagon officials have said they believed ***ual assaults were underreported and have launched a campaign to raise awareness of the problem.

Victims who are military personnel can report an assault without having to notify their commanding officers or police. That "restricted" reporting means the case does not trigger an investigation or military trial.

Out of 2,284 ***ual assault investigations, the accused were punished in 983 cases, the report said. Of those, 42 percent were prosecuted under a court-martial, it said.

Re: ***ual assault reports rise in US military: Pentagon report

Sad news, but it raises awareness. I'm in an all male unit so we never experience that kind of sickening activity within the unit.

Comment

not even male on male. One thing that struck me was not even half reported were punished, that's a **** poor stat even though you can assume some are false claims.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
        not even male on male. One thing that struck me was not even half reported were punished, that's a **** poor stat even though you can assume some are false claims.
        You can't assume false claims, that's dangerous. Luckily, our unit hasn't been in trouble for that (even male on male) but it is far too common in the military. I agree the nubmers are WAY too high.

Comment

Working...
        X