Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Freed

Originally posted by 7011USMC
    I bet she didn't either. Read the story below....Army Spc. Monica Lin Brown (combat medic) won a silver star for valor while serving in ASTAN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23547346/
    combat medics and nurses are quite different. I wont be riding along on conveys except in route to where I will be stationed. A fobbit shall I be unless I get a spot on a helo or aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
      combat medics and nurses are quite different. I wont be riding along on conveys except in route to where I will be stationed. A fobbit shall I be unless I get a spot on a helo or aircraft.
      Because Joe's never end up driving convoys, or acting as gate guards or prison enforcement if that's not their MOS.

Comment

It's possible but I doubt it, plenty of trauma to keep the nurses busy I suspect. Prison nurse is however possible.

Comment

It's possible but I doubt it, plenty of trauma to keep the nurses busy I suspect. Prison nurse is however possible.
          You still have plenty to learn

Comment

I yield to those with greater knowlage then.

Comment

With all due respect, i'm not a fan of this attitude..

This is an attitude that causes avoidable battlefield deaths. Read up the real story about Jessica Lynch and why her weapon jammed. She thought she'd be a fobbit too.

I don't like taking things from the Marine Corps (I'm sure ol USMC will have a reply for this one) but I think everyone here should consider themselves riflemen first.

Every Soldier is a Warrior. Every Soldier is trained and indoctrined with the very specific intent of eliminating our nation's enemies.

Just my .02

Comment

I can understand your ire but do you really want nurses, dentists, and doctors as your main trigger pullers.

Comment

I can understand your ire but do you really want nurses, dentists, and doctors as your main trigger pullers.
                  You're missing the point....

Do you know how many people end up as "Honorary" 88M's and 31B's because of MISSION NECCESITY. No we don't want Interrogators/Medics/Clerks/Cooks as Prison Guards, or convoy drivers - but we also don't want NOBODY.
                  Sometimes its between NOBODY, and YOU. (I'll give you a hint: They aren't going to pick nobody!).

Doctors, Nurses, and Dentists (As Officers) will not end up with these sorts of details, but I am of the understanding you are in the 68W enlisted career field.

And, mryan525: I agree with your sentiment. I was under the belief that we as soldiers WERE trained that we may at ANY time may end up having to pick up our weapon and shoot it. That's why we qualify in it, that's why we go to BCT instead of only going to AIT. I don't know where RandyB is getting this attitude, but I promise Drill Sergeants didn't teach him this heh.

Comment

I am not a soldier, still a civilian as of yet just as an fyi.

I prolly wont go to basic if I am direct commission. We do a 4 week school on customs and basics.
                    Last edited by RandyB; March 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

It's not about support personnel functioning as shooters (although ask my supply friends who spent OIF II kicking in doors or the 42 series guys running convoy ops.. it happens)

It's about an attitude IN AN ORGANIZATION DESIGNED TO TAKE LIVES that I've come across.

"Oh I'm only a [insert MOS here]. I don't need to maintain my weapon... or... I sit at a desk.. I don't need to be a PT stud.. or Hey I'm just National Guard I don't need to take this seriously..." or any other lame duck excuse I hear that makes the Army I'm so proud of look like hot garbage because there are so many crippled, overweight, and lazy individuals infesting it who think they're allowed to cut corners.

But now I'm getting off topic.

The point is, your statement was reflective of that attitude. When a civilian sees you.. heck when the ENEMY sees you.. they don't see you're a nurse.. or a cook.. or a desk jockey.. they see the uniform of the greatest military in the world.. a military highly trained in bringing a swift death to those we target. It's a part of your job to uphold that warrior tradition.. by knowing how to shoot, by knowing how to maintain your weapon, by knowing all the various little things we all learn.. Heck, if you wanna be REAL high speed nowadays, you could learn the various battle drills.. They're simple.. AT LEAST know 1A.. we should all know it.

So, by saying "I'm just a fobbit", you may be the best nurse in the world, but you are basically admitting that you've chosen to cut corners when it comes to your responsibilities as a Soldier.

/rant

Comment

Understood and I see your point. I am actually joining the army to save lives not take them. However I am not a pacifist and would do my duty under fire like any soldier should.

Comment

Understood and I see your point. I am actually joining the army to save lives not take them. However I am not a pacifist and would do my duty under fire like any soldier should.

As a medic, I feel the same way, but you'll also learn the best and quickest first treatment you can do for your patients is fire superiority

Comment

think people covered what needed to be said about this comment. it is apparent that your not in the military, but what you said is exactly the opposite of mission readiness. I remember my uncle telling me he was a cook and near is serving pot stationed was his M-60 ready to fight LOL

Comment

I am not a soldier, still a civilian as of yet just as an fyi.

I prolly wont go to basic if I am direct commission. We do a 4 week school on customs and basics.
                              Your not even a RN yet. Probbie. How are you going to DC? Why in the world would you be taking the ASVAB then? Why do you s-u-c-k in math? Nursing degree is also a science degree requiring additional course work in math & sciences.

Nurse really? THIS is OBAMA CARE 101 LOL: Remember folks you get what you pay for! I'm thankful I have a "maserati policy"

Comment

No, not yet, I am still in nursing school. Taking the asvab cuz the recruiter is trying to enlist me as a medic for some reason. Most nurses are bad at math even though we have to do a lot of drug calculation problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X