• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannity/north scam troops with “freedom alliance”

might want to avoid this charity.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/03...edom-alliance/

Alliance’s/Oliver North’s Weak “Non-Response” & New Lies ****

For the last several years, Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance “charity” have conducted “Freedom Concerts” across America. They’ve told you that they are raising money to pay for the college tuition of the children of fallen soldiers and to pay severely wounded war vets. And on Friday Night, Hannity will be honored with an award for this “Outstanding Community Service by a Radio Talk Show Host” at Talkers Magazine’s convention.

But it’s all a huge scam.

In fact, less than 20%–and in two recent years, less than 7% and 4%, respectively–of the money raised by Freedom Alliance went to these causes, while millions of dollars went to expenses, including consultants and apparently to ferry the Hannity posse of family and friends in high style. And, despite Hannity’s statements to the contrary on his nationally syndicated radio show, few of the children of fallen soldiers got more than $1,000-$2,000, with apparently none getting more than $6,000, while Freedom Alliance appears to have spent tens of thousands of dollars for private planes. Moreover, despite written assurances to donors that all money raised would go directly to scholarships for kids of the fallen heroes and not to expenses, has begun charging expenses of nearly $500,000 to give out just over $800,000 in scholarships.

In February 2009, a well-known conservative writer sent me this, about a friend at FOX News:

The guy went on to tell me about Hannity’s “Freedom Concerts,” which are staged across the country with the proceeds going to children of slain soldiers. Of course, as the guy tells it, there’d be a lot more money every concert to go to the cause if Hannity didn’t demand–and get–use of a Gulfstream 5 plane to fly him and his family/entourage to the concerts; a “fleet” (that’s the word the guy used) of either Cadillac or Lincoln SUVs for him and his family/entourage; and several suites at really expensive hotels for him and his family/entourage. The promoter apparently values Hannity’s star demands at well over $200,000 per event. The source says he heard that Oliver North pulled Hannity aside at one of the concerts and told him that this had to stop. But that may mean that, from now on, Hannity has to fly on a G4 instead of a G5, gets only a few luxury SUVs, and two or three suites.

North is the founder and honorary chairman of Freedom Alliance.

I began investigating these claims, and lo and behold, I discovered that Freedom Alliance gives very little money to the children of slain troops to pay for college and even less to wounded troops. The stories of injuries to troops and how much Freedom Alliance gives them–$200 for a soldier from a poor neighborhood who lost three limbs–is heartbreaking. Soldiers with traumatic brain injuries, severe wounds to the face from disfiguring burns and explosions, and multiple amputations got $1,000 or less, with only a handful of exceptions.

The tax forms available to the public for the Freedom Alliance–for the years 2006-2008–paint a tragic story, a story of a charity that makes gazillions and spends very little for the purposes it claims, a charity that spends millions more on its small staff and crony consultants than it ever gives in scholarships to the children of the fallen or severely injured troops or in aid to the injured troops themselves. While Hannity’s Freedom Concerts take in millions, only a few hundred thousand go to the claimed intended recipients.

Over a year ago, when I began looking into this story, I contacted both Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance seeking comment and an accounting for where the money went. Both declined to answer any of my questions. Hannity refused to respond to an inquiry I sent to his personal private e-mail address asking him about the lavish expenses described in the e-mail above.

Freedom Alliance press secretary Alan Moore scheduled an interview for me with Freedom Alliance president Thomas Kilgannon, who in the past used Freedom Alliance resources to promote a book he wrote on the United Nations. But when Moore asked me what the interview would be about and I answered truthfully, the interview was not granted, and my calls to him were never returned thereafter. I told him I’d be asking Mr. Kilgannon about the expenses paid for Hannity and about the paltry percentage of Freedom Alliance funds actually going to the kids of fallen troops, to severely injured troops, and to anything other than expenses, consultants, and printing. I wanted to know why Freedom Alliance had spent $60,000 for “aviation services” in 2006.

Keep in mind that a charity is considered reputable if no more than 25% of its revenue goes to expenses and no less than 75% of it goes to the intended charity recipients. Given that, Freedom Alliance’s balance sheets are embarrassing in their shamelessness.

According to its 2006 tax returns, Freedom Alliance reported revenue of $10, 822, 785, but only $397,900–or a beyond-measly 3.68%–of that was given to the children of fallen troops as scholarships or as aid to severely injured soldiers.

On the other hand, 62% of the money went to “expenses,” including $979,485 for “consultants” and an “advisor.” Yes, consultant/advisors got more than double what injured troops and the kids of fallen troops got. The tax forms show that “New World Aviation” got paid $60,601 for “air travel.” Was that for Hannity’s G5? Like I said, neither the charity nor Hannity is talking. And finally, that year, Freedom Alliance spent $1,730,816 on postage and shipping and $1,414,215 on printing, for a total of $3,145,031, nearly half the revenue the charity spent that year and about eight times what the injured troops and the children of fallen ones received.

That’s especially heartbreaking when you compare the hundreds of thousands consultants got and the millions spent on printing and postage to the outrageously small amounts given to wounded soldiers. In 2006, Freedom Alliance gave only $1,000 to a soldier from Bay City, Michigan, whom the charity says was in the following condition:

Face was blown up and lost sight in one eye.

And that $1,000 was relatively generous, when you consider this soldier from Romulus, Michigan, whom Freedom Alliance only gave $200:

SM [serviceman] was involved in roadside bomb incident in Iraq, which caused loss of both legs and left arm.

Romulus is a mostly Black Detroit suburb, which is one of the poorest cities in Michigan and in America. Freedom Alliance gave this brave soldier roughly $67 per limb. That’s sickening.

So is the fact that this soldier, from Alexandria, Virginia, also only got $200 from Freedom Alliance:

SM was wounded in Iraq by an IED explosion. Lost right arm and severe shrapnel wounds to upper body and face.

Also appalling is the fact that in each year’s tax returns soldiers described as having brain trauma injuries, multiple amputated limbs, and severe burns over most of their bodies get a few hundred bucks each from Freedom Alliance and in almost every case, no more than $1,000.

That year, while fat-cat consultants and expenses took millions of Freedom Alliance’s money, seriously wounded troops to whom Freedom Alliance donated received a pathetic average of $785 each and the college student kids of the fallen got a paltry average of $2,943 toward tuition. Yes, out of millions raised that year by Sean Hannity at his Freedom Concerts, only $309,000 was given out in scholarships to 105 students, and only $110,703.82 was given to the wounded soldiers.

Freedom Alliance’s 2007 tax returns aren’t much better. Out of $12,459,317 it raised that year, only $895,347–or just 7%–went to seriously wounded troops and scholarships for fallen troops. 53% went to expenses, including $1,464,627 in postage and $1,151,428 in printing. $604,995 went to “professional fees” and “consultants.” Out of millions paid for Freedom Concert tickets and raised in fundraisers by Hannity listeners, only $596,500 went to college scholarships for soldiers who died in battle, and only $299,897 went to horribly injured troops. 208 student children of the fallen got an average of $2,868 apiece for tuition, though many got only $1,000 or less. 382 soldiers with serious injuries got an average of $785 each.

And, again, that year, the amounts given to soldiers with such grave injuries is despicably tiny. This soldier, from Killeen, Texas, got only $500 from Freedom Alliance:
    ~snip rest at link.

Re: Hannity/north scam troops with “freedom alliance”

To all, the mods will be watching this very closely. If it remains open for responses, choose them wisely.

If this is in fact true, that's very disappointing.
    Last edited by SteveLord; March 21st, 2010, 02:05 AM.

Comment

If any charity is, scuttling funds meant for wounded troops - it would be a sick and unfortunate thing. I really wish I had hard facts to look at, and exactly how much of a dollar donated actually becomes a dollar donated.

This is why I prefer to donate items/equipment, rather than $$ for any charity.

Comment

straight from the horses mouth, tax return link. Turns out that if you gave ten bucks, you would be lucky if eighty cents went to assist the family of a fallen or killed service member, while Hannity claims 100% goes to them.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-co...etaxes2006.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
          straight from the horses mouth, tax return link. Turns out that if you gave ten bucks, you would be lucky if eighty cents went to assist the family of a fallen or killed service member, while Hannity claims 100% goes to them.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/wp-co...etaxes2006.pdf
          I looked at the tax statements and the biggest number that screams out to me is the almost $10 million in securities versus $320k in scholarships. The $10 million is listed as a scholarship fund in the supplementing material, but it seems to just be sitting there. Wonder where the tax statements for 2007+ are?

Comment

those who think the charity is on the up and up and will argue it to the death.

hyperlink removed as it violates rules apparently.
            Last edited by RandyB; March 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
              To all, the mods will be watching this very closely. If it remains open for responses, choose them wisely.
              Tick..Tock...Tick... Tock...

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised, honestly.

I give this thread two days.. we tend to be slower on Sundays

Comment

I was troubled when I read that report so I forwarded the attachment and this link to the Fox news channel and to the Sean Hannity radio show for review.

I'm sure there will be a thorough investigation and I guarantee Mr. Hannity will look into it and if there is any wrong doing I'm sure he will get to the bottom of it.

Futhermore, If it is a typical left wing hatchet job as usual and there is false accusation he will vehemently defend this name, charitable organization, and the FNC.

I'm sure there will be civil law suites of slander, malice, defamation of character, and false charcterizations involved before it is said and done.

Once again thank you and good looking out.

Comment

very proactive of you, we will see if he sets the record straight.

Comment

not surprised

Comment

Is anybody surprised that some new fangled "charity for soldiers" is stealing? Go to any shop outside of a post or base and it's scam city.

Pretty crappy what happened, but I hope people are more aware of scam charities. The best thing they could do is send packages to people directly instead of through these so called charities.

Very unfortunate, but a fraud's been exposed and hopefully he pays.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                          I would like a confirmation from a more reliable source before castigating anyone.

I'm not defending Sean Hannity, I'm defending the principle of not shooting until I have target confirmation.

Comment

I was going to post the same thing, but had to leave my office.

If this were absolutely true, why are his biggest competitors in the mainstream media not flooding the TV and papers?

Comment

from the other side, sorry no link, against the rules.

In 2008, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $6,745,717. Of that:

• 79 percent ($5,317,970) was spent on Program Activities

•14 percent ($945,950) was spent on Fundraising

•7 percent ($481,797) was spent on Management

In 2007, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,461,350. Of that:

• 81.5 percent ($6,084,474) was spent on Program Activities

• 13.5 percent ($1,011,501) was spent on Fundraising

• 5 percent ($365,375) was spent on Management

In 2006, Freedom Alliance spent a total of $7,064,839. Of that:
                              • 77 percent ($5,434,538) was spent on Program Activities

• 18.5 percent ($1,308,414) was spent on Fundraising

• 4.5 percent ($321,887) was spent on Management

Comment

Working...
                              X