Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This would be nice to come home to.

Source: http://www.nationalguard.com/news/20...t?cid=fb100318

Hattiesburg, MS, United States

On Sunday March 21, 2010, Ty Pennington and the designers of “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” ("EM:HE") will show the nation the opportunity they had to give back to a Mississippi Army National Guard Soldier who has given so much to his country and his community. Celine Dion and the Jonas Brothers also make special guest appearances in the episode which will air from 7-8 p.m. Central Time on ABC.

The "EM:HE" team traveled to Hattiesburg, MS, last December—with Christian Slater as the celebrity volunteer—to meet Sergeant Sherman Heathcock, a devoted husband and father who re-enlisted in the Mississippi Army National Guard following 9/11. In that time, he has served two tours of duty in Iraq, where he led squads in combat missions. When he is fortunate to spend time at home, Sherman works several jobs, which leave little time to repair the devastating damage to their home left by Hurricane Katrina.

Heathcock, 39, and his wife, Gina, 40, are working themselves to the bone in order to afford the best education for their children, Annie, 12; Gary, 10; and Tessa, 7. In addition to his work for the Army National Guard, Sherman works as a sheriff’s deputy, a SWAT team leader, a grocery store security guard, and a neighborhood watch group organizer, and he volunteers his time to provide security for his kids’ school and coach his son’s football and baseball teams while Gina works part time as a paralegal. During Sherman’s first tour in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina sent several large trees crashing through their property and onto their home. Adding insult to injury, while beginning to tackle the long list of repairs, Gina fell victim to a re-roofing scam. The rotting ceilings and damaged foundation were crumbling beneath them and while Sherman was serving in Iraq, his wife and kids were worried about losing the battle in their own home.

The Heathcock Family went on vacation to Disney World while “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” team leader Ty Pennington; designers Michael Moloney, John Littlefield, and Paige Hemmis; Slater; and community volunteers rebuilt their home, while Celine Dion and the Jonas Brothers made special guest appearances. Also, USAA was proud to partner with "EM:HE" to help provide a new start for the Heathcock Family.

“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” is produced by Endemol USA, a division of Endemol Holding. It is executive-produced by Anthony Dominici. David Goldberg is Chairman, Endemol North America.

Re: This would be nice to come home to.

Good Deal!! But if I came home from Deployment and Celine Dion and the Jonas Brothers were on my front lawn!!! I wouldnt even tap the breaks. Christian Slater, would be good, I always like Gleaming the Cube.

Comment

They did an extreme home makeover for a deployed Virginia Guardsman in 2008 I think. It was cool, there were a lot people I knew that were helping on the build.

It's cool to see people in the guard get helped

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
        Good Deal!! But if I came home from Deployment and Celine Dion and the Jonas Brothers were on my front lawn!!! I wouldnt even tap the breaks.
        Seconded.

Great work though.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
          Christian Slater, would be good, I always like Gleaming the Cube.
          You're amazing!! I LOVED THAT MOVIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
            They did an extreme home makeover for a deployed Virginia Guardsman in 2008 I think. It was cool, there were a lot people I knew that were helping on the build.

It's cool to see people in the guard get helped
            Back in my Home Depot days, I helped build one of these, its incredible the turnout and work, its nonstop 24/7 for a week. This was back when the show first started. It was for a family that had like 8 kids. It was something that just made you feel good inside.

Comment

Working...
            X