Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier sues, says Hurt Locker based on him

By Julie Hinds and David Ashenfelter - Detroit Free Press
    Posted : Wednesday Mar 3, 2010 13:44:35 EST

With the 82nd Academy Awards days away, a 38-year-old Army bomb expert said Tuesday that he’s hurt that Hollywood producers cut him out of a front-running best picture nominee — “The Hurt Locker” — that allegedly was based on his exploits in Iraq.

“They never offered anything,” said Master Sgt. Jeffrey Sarver, of Clarksville, Tenn., at a 45-minute news conference at the law office of Geoffrey Fieger in Southfield, Mich.

Fieger filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit on Sarver’s behalf late Tuesday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey. Fieger said he waited until then to file the suit so it wouldn’t hurt the movie’s chances for winning an Academy Award.

The Iraq war drama about a bomb-defusing squad is nominated for nine Oscars.

Fieger said he and attorney Todd Weglarz had been negotiating for several months to no avail.

“Hollywood has made billions exploiting veterans,” Fieger said, adding that it’s going to end now.

A news release announcing Wednesday’s news conference indicates Sarver was the subject of an article for Playboy written by “Hurt Locker” screenwriter Mark Boal. Boal’s story on bomb-defusing squads in Iraq ran in the September 2005 issue.

The release says the suit would allege that “the film’s makers falsely claim the characters portrayed in the film are fictional when in fact the film’s main character, Will James, is Master Sgt. Sarver.”

In the movie, James is played by best actor nominee Jeremy Renner.

The release says the suit accuses Boal and the film’s makers of cheating Sarver “out of financial participation in the film, and any acknowledgement of his heroic actions in Iraq.”

Summit Entertainment, which acted as the U.S. distributor of “The Hurt Locker,” released this statement in response to Fieger’s release:

“Ever since Summit acquired the distribution rights to the finished feature film ‘The Hurt Locker’ during the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, we have been proud to showcase the film to audiences in the U.S. The film is a story about heroes depicting a fictional account of what brave men and women do on the battlefield. We have no doubt that Master Sgt. Sarver served his country with honor and commitment risking his life for a greater good, but we distributed the film based on a fictional screenplay written by Mark Boal. We hope for a quick resolution to the claims made by Master Sgt. Sarver.”

Sarver’s wife, Alisa, said her husband has been in the military 18 years and is currently stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky., as a bomb technician. After leaving metro Detroit today, she said, her husband plans to attend training in Louisiana.

Re: Soldier sues, says Hurt Locker based on him

Wow, I really liked this movie as well. Thats a shame though if the producers did do this without consent of the guy

Comment

my friends in EOD said that movie's a bunch of crap.

Anyway, I'm gonna sue filmmakers because the show "Army Wives" is based on me...

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino

Agreed. I believe its "hollywoodization" has been discussed somewhere. I expected a war movie for my generation and got schlock.

Comment

we were soldiers, is perhaps my favorite movie, enemy at the gates was good.....I tried to find my brothers war but couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
            we were soldiers, is perhaps my favorite movie, enemy at the gates was good.....I tried to find my brothers war but couldn't.
            brothers war is a great movie, very good for a doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
              we were soldiers, is perhaps my favorite movie,
              Have you read the book? It is completely different from the movie, there is actually 2 battles.

Comment

Originally posted by gabriel.gambino

Anyway, I'm gonna sue filmmakers because the show "Army Wives" is based on me...
                DADT.......

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
                  DADT.......
                  HAHAHAHAHA!

Comment

(Being the most recent thread on the movie.)

I just watched it and I can't understand how it could get any awards.

Who liked it here? The hyped up privates? Come on. This was another run of the mill military dipped in hollywood salsa kind of film.

Comment

I liked it, lots of action kinda like rambo unrealistic tho.

Comment

To the average civilian moviegoer with no first hand (or even good secondhand) knowledge of combat it wasn't too bad from the parts I saw. My little brother did get pretty aggravated when I started nitpicking though

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                          (Being the most recent thread on the movie.)

I just watched it and I can't understand how it could get any awards.

Who liked it here? The hyped up privates? Come on. This was another run of the mill military dipped in hollywood salsa kind of film.
                          Sounds about right.

Comment

Some of it was kinda realistic.

Has anyone seen that movie called Tunnel Rats.

I don't recommend it. It's about The tunnels in nam. It's a mix of war and horror.

I rented some movie from redbox, and it was in hebrew and was animation, the subtittles were horrible, when I rented it I thought cool, but that joker was terrible.

No I've never read the book, we were soldiers. Last book I read was Never Surrender by LTG Boykin. I highly recommend it. He was in command of delta in somalia.

Currently I am reading the Army Officers guide, it is a required text for CHBOLC.

Has anyone seen the new moive called brothers that just came out on DVD?

What does everyone think of Tropic Thunder?

Comment

"We Were Soldiers Once, and Young", is a great book. I have read it multiple times, It is probably one of my favorites. The sequel to that book is "We Are Soldiers Still", it is also a great book. The first book is about the 1st battalion, 7th Calvary in the first major battle of the Vietnam War, the battle of the Ia Drang Valley. Both LZ Ray and LZ Albany are in this book. The movie "We Were Soldiers Once" only shows the battle of LZ x-ray, and in my opinion from reading the book LZ Albany was were the true battle happened!

Comment

Working...
                              X