Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room
    Tuesday , January 26, 2010

ADVERTISEMENTAuthorities in central New Jersey seized a cache of weapons and ammunition including rifles, a grenade launcher and a night vision scope from the motel room of a Virginia man arrested early Monday by officers responding to a report of a suspicious person, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state.

Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Forrest said the .223-caliber assault rifle that Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, a map of a U.S. military installation and a map of an out-of-state civilian community, a Middle Eastern red and white colored traditional headdress and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition.

Woodson is being held at the Somerset County Jail on numerous charges, including unlawful possession of weapons, possession of prohibited weapons, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Bail has not yet been set. Woodson was tentatively scheduled for an initial court appearance at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Spokesman Jack Bennett said the prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had retained a lawyer.

Forrest said investigators from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

The FBI issued a statement: "Presently, there does not appear to be a link to terrorism; Woodson does not appear to have a link to any known terrorist groups, nor a specific terrorist plot. However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings. It is possible that Mr. Woodson could face federal gun charges, but that has yet to be determined. At this time, the matter is being worked as a state case out of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

Authorities in New Jersey say Woodson's last known address is on Generation Drive in Reston. On Monday night, Fox 5 went to that neighborhood, but residents we spoke with did not recognize Woodson's photograph.

Woodson was being held at the Somerset County Jail on charges including unlawful possession of weapons.

The prosecutor's office did not know whether Woodson had a lawyer.

Re: Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

HERE IS THE SECOND PART AND UPDATE OF THE STORY:

Senators Urge Administration to Transfer Alleged Bomber to Military Custody
    Two top senators urged the Obama administration on Monday to transfer the suspect in the failed Christmas Day airline bombing to the Pentagon, blasting the Justice Department for reading him his Miranda rights and treating him like a common criminal.

Two top senators urged the Obama administration on Monday to transfer the suspect in the failed Christmas Day airline bombing to the Pentagon, blasting the Justice Department for reading him his Miranda rights and treating him like a common criminal.

Citing reports that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was "speaking openly about the attack" and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's involvement in it before he was read his Miranda rights, Sens. Joe Lieberman and Susan Collins said that reading the suspect his rights shortly after his arrest was an opportunity lost.

Lieberman, I-Conn., chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, and Collins, R-Maine, the committee's ranking Republican, said officials would be able to continue interrogating Abdulmutallab and try him before a military commission if they treat him as an enemy combatant.

"The decision to treat Abdulmutallab as a criminal rather than (an unprivileged enemy belligerent) almost certainly prevented the military and the intelligence community from obtaining information that would have been critical to learning more about how our enemy operates and to preventing future attacks," the senators wrote in a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and counterterrorism adviser John Brennan.

"Though the president has said repeatedly that we are at war, it does not appear to us that the president's words are reflected in the actions of some in the executive branch, including some at the Department of Justice," they wrote.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., also released a written statement Monday urging Obama to revoke Abdulmutallab's "civilian status," saying the administration "squandered an invaluable opportunity to gather intelligence from a captured terrorist fresh from Al Qaeda's operation in Yemen."

Though Abdulmutallab has already been indicted in anticipation of a civilian trial, attorney Edward MacMahon said there is precedent for treating suspects as enemy combatants before trying them in civilian court.

MacMahon, former attorney for Al Qaeda conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui, said the administration would be in its right to treat Abdulmutallab as an enemy combatant and interrogate him, despite the case that is already underway. He said the administration would not have to worry about jeopardizing his confession, since there's enough physical evidence and witness testimony to convict him.

The calls for the Justice Department to do an about-face on Abdulmutallab's civilian trial come after new questions were raised during congressional hearings last week about the way the suspect was handled after the attempted bombing.

In one hearing, Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair said Abdulmutallab should have been questioned by the recently created High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group, or HIG. But he later released a statement noting that the HIG is not yet "fully operational."

Still, key officials -- among them FBI Director Robert Mueller -- have said they were not consulted on the decision to treat Abdulmutallab as a civilian.

Fox News has confirmed that local FBI agents interviewed the suspect for about 50 minutes after he was taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center. One official said he spoke freely during this period and claimed to be a trained recruit for Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

After that, he went into surgery. He was then advised of his right to remain silent, and he subsequently obtained a lawyer.

Lieberman and Collins wrote Monday that the "unilateral decision" by the Justice Department to treat the suspect as a criminal "and to forego information that may have been extremely helpful to winning this war demonstrates" that some in the department are not acting as if the country is at war.

"The administration can reverse this error, at least to some degree, by immediately transferring Abdulmutallab to the Department of Defense," they wrote.

Comment

Re: Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

We are getting better and better at stopping these plots!

Also as a comment to my, past thread its pretty sad that we live in such a PC culture that were afraid to even talk about the threat that chicano extremists pose to the US. I know some of you are not and I thank you for sharing your opinion, but the fact is this situation will affect all of us in the future especially the National Guard.

Comment

Also as a comment to my, past thread its pretty sad that we live in such a PC culture that were afraid to even talk about the threat that chicano extremists pose to the US.
        Alot of people get what your saying. However, It can lead to inflammatory, bias, or racist comments. We all know the rules of this forum site and we stretch it. I am somewhat "off the mark" and must "check myself" daily.

If your gonna dance to the music you need to pay the band leader.

Comment

I remember the Fort Dix attempt a while ago....What was this guy AIM'ing at?
          Last edited by SGT Bart; January 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

curious how you take a .223 and make it a 50 cal?

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerforce
              curious how you take a .223 and make it a 50 cal?
              That my friend is called "Kentucky engineering" What I don't get, is he had this hardware even on his possession and he didn't pull a "Bon Jovi"? Must have been good intell and police work.

Comment

Forrest said the .223-caliber assault rifle that Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

No wonder he was caught!!! All that weight from the shoulder mounted pig!!! This cracks me up every time with the news people. Like someone that gets popped with a 1lb block of pot, and the news has it as a street value of $5k.. Really? Where are you buying your stash, cause you are getting ripped off.

This guys seems like your normal military junkie redneck, they are pretty common. Granted I didnt read the whole post, after I saw the weapons upgrade remark. Ok, just went and read more. A 37mm grenade launcher, dont they sell those at Ranger Joes? and a Red/White head wrap? I am going with kitchen towel on that one. Do they think it sounds more scary if you said .308 semi automatic or lets just say, Deer Rifle. And Maps? did the dude not know how to use Google Earth? I have lots of maps of military facilities, guess i am getting a knock on the door pretty soon too. Zero terrorist connections? I am still playing the confused, hate the government, gun toting Redneck Card on this one.

Comment

There is an upper assembly that fires the .50 cal handgun ammo...why, I don't know...

Comment

I'm suprised that Phantom of all people would use such a derogator language as his usage of "Redneck."

You crossed a line Phantom! HAHA, you should take some Redneck sensitivity courses. Like going to the racetrack, on a night hunt, or a rodeo.

I just can't believe it.

Comment

There's also .50 ammo other than BMG, such as the beowolf.

That's the cool thing about AR stuff you can mix and match anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                        There's also .50 ammo other than BMG, such as the beowolf.

That's the cool thing about AR stuff you can mix and match anything.
                        http://www.bohicaarms.com/far50_features.html

Yes though, AR-15's now have uppers and mags for nearly every caliber you can think of. That's the only 2 modifications needed for most calibers and that is as simple as pushing 2 pins.

When I read the article, I was impressed at first when they called the AR-15 a "semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle" but they soon fudged it up calling it an assault weapon.

Here is a few links to pics of an AR-15 with a 50 BMG upper and a 36" barrel. This weapon is owned by a member of a local shooting club

Last edited by PFC Lowe; January 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                          I'm suprised that Phantom of all people would use such a derogator language as his usage of "Redneck."

You crossed a line Phantom! HAHA, you should take some Redneck sensitivity courses. Like going to the racetrack, on a night hunt, or a rodeo.

I just can't believe it.
                          I can use Redneck any way I want too.. I do live in Alabama, and 20min from Talladega, does that count?

Comment

I thought that was you in the movie Bruno. I had my suspicions.

Comment

Word has it that the 'grenade launcher' was actually a perfectly legal flare gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X