• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Army necessary

armytimes.com
    Editorial
    Posted : Sunday Jan 17, 2010 8:51:00 EST

The Army on three occasions over the past five years has increased active-duty end-strength to meet ongoing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Lesson learned: The Army was too small to simultaneously fight on two fronts. That took an incredible toll on troops and their families, who endured multiple war tours of up to 15 months at a stretch. Others paid for it by being forced to serve on “stop-loss” beyond their terms of obligated service. Meanwhile, getting the Army closer to the right size cost billions and took years.

The addition of a total of 65,000 soldiers resulted in today’s authorized end-strength of 547,400 in uniform. In July, Congress has authorized yet another temporary increase, of 22,000 troops.

Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey, concerned about an “era of persistent” conflict projected to continue to 2028, if not longer, is considering whether to seek to make the 22,000 permanent.

Given the grim outlook and the stress on today’s force, he should ask Congress for the increase — and lawmakers should oblige.

The Army still struggles to give soldiers a year at home between deployments, and the burnout places a huge strain on the troops and their families. Divorce rates have risen, and some troops struggle with PTSD and other mental, physical and emotional problems.

Moreover, maintaining a robust and ready force would provide maximum readiness and be more cost-efficient than holding numbers down or even cutting troops for some perceived savings, only to have to spend billions to recruit, train and retain tens of thousands of soldiers when hostilities flare.

Though the Army is scheduled to fully withdraw its 60,000 troops in Iraq by the end of next year, it is increasing to more than 65,000 the number of soldiers headed to Afghanistan. And there is no telling yet what other front might emerge in this era of persistent conflict.

It would be unfair to force soldiers and families to continue to sacrifice as they have for so long now. A bigger Army would provide more home time for the soldiers and more battlefield resources.

The troops and the nation need a bigger Army.

Re: Bigger Army necessary

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
    armytimes.com
    Editorial
    Posted : Sunday Jan 17, 2010 8:51:00 EST

Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey, concerned about an “era of persistent” conflict projected to continue to 2028, if not longer
    So I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me

The troops and the nation need a bigger Army.
      Ok and I agree but where are we going to get the needed people.

Comment

Originally posted by hrotccadet
        Ok and I agree but where are we going to get the needed people.
        They are having no problems getting qualified bodies into the door. It just getting them trained and de-wussified. Too many entry level separations.

I love when I hear an over zealous recruit only into 3 weeks of training doing everything they can to get out (I'm sick or bipolar)! If they put that much effort in succeeding instead of failing imagine the potential.

If the "Big Army" had probelems getting bodies they would offer "big bonus's" and tap into IRR. All branches of services are doing well in recruiting and retention.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC

I love when I hear an over zealous recruit only into 3 weeks of training doing everything they can to get out (I'm sick or bipolar)! If they put that much effort in succeeding instead of failing imagine the potential.
          yea just imagine

Comment

Originally posted by hrotccadet
            yea just imagine
            Makes you wonder about all the RE3 and RE4 posters that come on here. I wonder why they didn't give it "there all" in the first place. People jump the gun and join without researching the pros and cons of military life.

I mean there are 18 & 19 y/o's that have never had there parents raise their voice at them. Never had anyone up in there face, participated in organized sports, or ever been in a fist fight.

Yet there the first ones talking smack about I'm going to do this and that. They have never been away from home, girlfriends is phuking around on them or broke up with them, and the whammy no cell phone/Ipod/MP3/Xbox/PS3.

Then you have the fraudulent enlisters drug usage, criminal/civil judgments, and closet h-o-m-o's (that come out). Sickbay rangers aka hypercondriacs they know more about medicine than the doctors.

Everyone wants the respect, honor, and glory of serving there country and making a difference. Yet, they don't want to put the time in hades in IET. All the GI parties, CQ, barracks maintenance, and all the phases to attain "permanent party" aka the suck.

Uncle Sugar comensates his soldiers well and there is an plethora of benefits. Be advised you have to earn them; They just aren't there just because. You give Uncle Sugar your time, talents, and abilities (even your life if need be). "Freedom isn't free" it comes with a price.

Sorry for the rant just aggravates me when I hear sheiot talkers say I'ma doin this or that....you crawl, walk, and then run. Nothing wrong with high hopes! Just be realistic lets get to first base first, and not worry about cranking a homer every time at the plate.

Comment

Makes you wonder about all the RE3 and RE4 posters that come on here. I wonder why they didn't give it "there all" in the first place. People jump the gun and join without researching the pros and cons of military life.

I mean there are 18 & 19 y/o's that have never had there parents raise their voice at them. Never had anyone up in there face, participated in organized sports, or ever been in a fist fight.

Yet there the first ones talking smack about I'm going to do this and that. They have never been away from home, girlfriends is phuking around on them or broke up with them, and the whammy no cell phone/Ipod/MP3/Xbox/PS3.

Then you have the fraudulent enlisters drug usage, criminal/civil judgments, and closet h-o-m-o's (that come out). Sickbay rangers aka hypercondriacs they know more about medicine than the doctors.

Everyone wants the respect, honor, and glory of serving there country and making a difference. Yet, they don't want to put the time in hades in IET. All the GI parties, CQ, barracks maintenance, and all the phases to attain "permanent party" aka the suck.

Uncle Sugar comensates his soldiers well and there is an plethora of benefits. Be advised you have to earn them; They just aren't there just because. You give Uncle Sugar your time, talents, and abilities (even your life if need be). "Freedom isn't free" it comes with a price.

Sorry for the rant just aggravates me when I hear sheiot talkers say I'ma doin this or that....you crawl, walk, and then run. Nothing wrong with high hopes! Just be realistic lets get to first base first, and not worry about cranking a homer every time at the plate.
              Amen to that!

Comment

Hmm yea I have to agree those RE3's are such wastes of life......
                Last edited by hrotccadet; January 18th, 2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Always funny how ELS folk are frequently torn apart on the internet, even when they admit they screwed up, and are doing everything they can to correct that mistake, yet every single person I know in real life, including military, law enforcement, and other respected professions, have never given me any hassle over it. Perhaps it's because they know me as a person, what I've done to improve myself, and that my reason for re-enlisting is because I want to serve my country, rather than for benefits/education.

Heck, I'd say than a truely motivated ELS re-enlistee would be more likely to give 110% because they know what it's like to fail yourself and what follows. I know next time I go back, there's two ways out...in a uniform or a body bag

I'll grant that there are those who are self-pitying, faked illnesses, who come back with a sense of entitlement that the military "owes" them a second chance - those I have no time for. I'm thankful to have a great recruiter who is willing to work with me and give me that chance to prove myself...after all I guess that those who love to tear apart the ELS's have NEVER failed ANYTHING in life, and given it another shot, right?

Comment

Just be realistic lets get to first base first, and not worry about cranking a homer every time at the plate.
                    Love this quote.

Comment

And that I 110% agree with...way too many people focussed on the Spec Ops/super secret assassin training/etc than the essentials for making a career in the military (it's good to have career goals, but also be grounded in the essentials of what you need)

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever
                        And that I 110% agree with...way too many people focussed on the Spec Ops/super secret assassin training/etc than the essentials for making a career in the military (it's good to have career goals, but also be grounded in the essentials of what you need)
                        I agree with that + 1 Billion

Comment

But everyone wants to be Rambo! Lol Shoot, the only extra training I want is CLS. I mean, sure I want to go to those SUPER-HOOAH, HIGH-SPEED schools, but seriously the only one I'm trying for are the ones that I can apply to being a soldier. Some just see the movies and wanna be super heroes.

Comment

that's what I'm talking about!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kswat07
                              But everyone wants to be Rambo! Lol Shoot, the only extra training I want is CLS. I mean, sure I want to go to those SUPER-HOOAH, HIGH-SPEED schools, but seriously the only one I'm trying for are the ones that I can apply to being a soldier. Some just see the movies and wanna be super heroes.
                              whats wrong with holding two M-60s and parading around in the woods killing dudes?

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT!
                              Last edited by SGT Bart; January 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X