Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bataan Death March

Has anyone done this?

Our BN is sending a team, and while I'm pretty confident that I'll make the team, I just wanted some advice/tips on the actual competition/event.

If you're bored or interested, check it out: http://www.bataanmarch.com/

The history surrounding the memorial event requires a read as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_death_march
    Last edited by chd; March 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM.

Re: Bataan Death March

I don't have advice or tips, but I just checked out the wensite and the pics look awesome! I hope you are able to do it. Good luck and post pics if you make it

Comment

I just did the shorter one but the ones that did do the full march were in pain. Unless you have absoltulty no issues with feet you will have pain. But it will go away. There were a few that pulled off not having any issues. Then a couple that could barely walk. Didnt last too long. No worries

Comment

I qualified this morning finishing third. First National Guardsman in the BN to cross the finish line, so that's the only reason I'm posting. I'll blog about the experience, maybe post an update here when I get back in late March.

Comment

I first heard about the event back in 2002, and have wanted to do it since then. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to attend, but plan to eventually be able to.

On a positive note, I have been fortunate enough to travel the original route in the Philippines, and visit the sites of the camps they were eventually moved to.

Congrats on the finish, and I look forward to hearing more information about your experience.

Comment

my father did this years ago

Comment

Well, we're back from this event. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to challenge themselves and honor a group of WWII veterans in person that endured the very worst. From the veterans at the registration to the opening ceremony to the unique nature of the course to the wonderful volunteers, etc. it was a great experience. Talk it up among your companies and see if they can pull together a few dollars to subsidize a team.

A lot of people struggled and were on the course for far longer than I could imagine. We knocked it out in 6:23 and I found it to be a fun time. Lost a couple more toenails (whenever I run downhill in boots this happens, no big deal), but was otherwise okay. The team aspect of it (crossing every checkpoint within 20 seconds of each other) was very difficult and annoying - I always felt like our team was being held back by someone who needed a little break.

We finished 4th in the military heavy division behind the 82nd ABN, 75th SFS and a sponsored team of doctors. Given that we only trained for three weeks, it was a surprise for sure. And not bad for a team mixed with Active Duty 31E's and 31B National Guardsman. The female Guardsman that went with us placed 2nd in the individual heavy category.

So... if anyone comes across this thread in the future, shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions. When I put my blog back up next week, I'll include pictures.

UPDATE: Picked up an AAM, a handful of coins and some news articles for our performance.
              Last edited by chd; March 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Where did you do it at?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
                  Where did you do it at?
                  It's been in White Sands, NM for the past 21 years.

Comment

That's right around where I live. There were some soldiers in the newspaper today who did it, I'm not sure what unit they're from though.

Comment

Working...
                    X