Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

In the final few weeks before you shipped to BCT were you nervous? Excited? Scared? All 3? something different? and when you finally get to basic and got settled in were you better or worse? i'd like to hear how other people felt. I'm leaving in less than a month and i'm excited, but slightly nervous as well.

Re: In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

I think you'd probably be a fool or insane not to have any anxiety.

Comment

You will feel the same way for the first few weeks. No sweat it will pass. You'll experience home sickness, anxiety, and confusion. You'll need to focus and channel our energy on the mission at hand "Graduate BCT".

Once the initial "shock and awe" starts you will adapt, improvise, and overcome. The quicker you conform and embrace the better off you'll be.

Take nothing personal. The DS are training a "nasty disgusting civilian" into a basic trained soldier in only a short 9-10 weeks. The change and pride will be forever. Listen to your DS's keep your ears open and mouth shut.

Good luck friend and remember why you signed the contact in the first place! It is Americans like you that keep our nation strong and safe. Good luck friend and "GET SOME".
      Last edited by SSG Beckering; December 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
        You will feel the same way for the first few weeks. No sweat it will pass. You'll experience home sickness, anxiety, and confusion. You'll need to focus and channel our energy on the mission at hand "Graduate BCT".

Once the initial "shock and awe" starts you will adapt, improvise, and overcome. The quicker you conform and embrace the suck the better off you'll be.

Take nothing personal. The DS are training a "nasty disgusting civilian" into a basic trained soldier in only a short 9-10 weeks. The change and pride will be forever. Listen to your DS's keep your ears open and mouth shut.

Good luck friend and remember why you signed the contact in the first place! It is Americans like you that keep our nation strong and safe. Good luck friend and "GET SOME".
        man you always have the best replies. write me some letters to keep me motivated while i'm there. HAHAHA no, but seriously thanks for your replies. they are always knowledgable and i like your tough love attitude. reminds me of.... well me.

Comment

4 things you need to know and youll be set.

Right place

Right time

Right uniform

Right equipment

couldnt get much easier

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
            man you always have the best replies. write me some letters to keep me motivated while i'm there. HAHAHA no, but seriously thanks for your replies. they are always knowledgable and i like your tough love attitude. reminds me of.... well me.
            he is the man!

Comment

Hey! I leave March 8th for Fort Jackson and I'm nervous, excited, scared, and well umm.... nervous too! We're going into something that we've never done before, and no matter how many people we ask about it who have gone through it, we'll still be nervous and anxious and scared. It's gonna be our own individual experience that will be with us forever. Yes, I do believe it's gonna suck, but I do believe it's gonna be worth it in the end. And I'm sure there are going to be moments of fun... and then we'll get smoked But as I have heard from countless others, when you're on the field on graduation day there is no word to explain the pride and happiness you feel for accomplishing something so great. And remember, the others around you are more than likely feeling the same exact thing as you are so during it all you're not really alone. All in all, go into it with a positive attitude, an open mind, and unending determination to get it done to the best of your abilities. At least that's what I'm gonna do, or try to anyway.... Good luck!

Comment

I'm the kind of guy that can make anything fun. i always see the upside of things. I have a part time job working at a snow tubing park at a ski resort. 90% of the kids that work for me hate it. i love it b/c i make the best of it. that's what i plan to do at basic too. that's my plan. make the best of it. sure some days will suck, but i'll deal with it like anything else in life.

Comment

Originally posted by countrygirl
                  And I'm sure there are going to be moments of fun... and then we'll get smoked
                  Turn it into a game and it goes by easier (mentally) is what I did down in benning. O hey this DS can't smoke me (yeah right, that lasts long) and then the game turned into, I'm going to be the last person to start draggin while getting smoked. That 2nd game was easier for me, but yeah .....payed off in the end!
                  Last edited by SSG Beckering; December 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM. Reason: Profanity

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
                    I'm the kind of guy that can make anything fun. i always see the upside of things. I have a part time job working at a snow tubing park at a ski resort. 90% of the kids that work for me hate it. i love it b/c i make the best of it. that's what i plan to do at basic too. that's my plan. make the best of it. sure some days will suck, but i'll deal with it like anything else in life.
                    Well there ya go then and besides... it's only 9 weeks (give or take for reception and what not) how bad can it really be?!?!?!?! lol

~I hope I didn't open a can of worms on that comment

Comment

Well there ya go then and besides... it's only 9 weeks (give or take for reception and what not) how bad can it really be?!?!?!?! lol

This one time....at Basic Training camp.....

Comment

I'm i'm going to OSUT so it's more like 15 weeks plus reception, but i get to blow stuff up and stuff which is hella cool. plus i love that obstacle course stuff.
                        Last edited by SSG Beckering; December 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM. Reason: Profanity

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                          Turn it into a game and it goes by easier (mentally) is what I did down in benning. O hey this DS can't smoke me (yeah right, that lasts long) and then the game turned into, I'm going to be the last person to start draggin while getting smoked. That 2nd game was easier for me, but yeah .....payed off in the end!
                          i like that idea.
                          Last edited by SSG Beckering; December 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Before I left for BCT last summer I was up and down. One minute I was ready to go and the next I wanted out! It was hard getting on the bus from MEPS saying goodbye to my wife and watch her standing there as the bus pulled off. But through God's strength, I made it through and was able to give & get the biggest hug of mine and her life on Family Day. For most of us, it’s tough leaving home; even this 28 year old man! You can do this and the pain, fear, & uncertainty will pass. Just know this…reception WILL SUCK BAD!!! It too will pass. Good luck. You will be amazed at how good you will do!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Reynolds
                              Before I left for BCT last summer I was up and down. One minute I was ready to go and the next I wanted out! It was hard getting on the bus from MEPS saying goodbye to my wife and watch her standing there as the bus pulled off. But through God's strength, I made it through and was able to give & get the biggest hug of mine and her life on Family Day. For most of us, it’s tough leaving home; even this 28 year old man! You can do this and the pain, fear, & uncertainty will pass. Just know this…reception WILL SUCK BAD!!! It too will pass. Good luck. You will be amazed at how good you will do!
                              I'm 30 with a wife and a 2 year old baby girl that means the world to me. leaving them behind for 4 months is by far what i'm scared of the most.

Comment

Working...
                              X