Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

Originally posted by azIce
    I'll still beat you to drill.
    35 weeks of school...probably. Trying to get done before the X-mas/New Years cluster
    Last edited by SSG Beckering; December 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM. Reason: Profanity

Comment

14 days until I ship. I keep thinking about how long I'm going to be gone and what I will need to bring. Then I remember... it's BCT not vacation... lol.. I don't really need anything. I will definitely make sure I have all paperwork to make sure I get paid correctly!

I only plan on bringing a hygiene kit, the clothes I wear the day I ship, supplies to send letters (anyone use the NG stuff from RSP?), cell phone and charger (just in case), PT shoes (Black/White/Grey.. those colors will be fine correct?), $100 cash (too much?) and of course paperwork (those with mortgages, what did you bring?).

I'm ready to get there....

Comment

14 days until I ship. I keep thinking about how long I'm going to be gone and what I will need to bring. Then I remember... it's BCT not vacation... lol.. I don't really need anything. I will definitely make sure I have all paperwork to make sure I get paid correctly!

I only plan on bringing a hygiene kit, the clothes I wear the day I ship, supplies to send letters (anyone use the NG stuff from RSP?), cell phone and charger (just in case), PT shoes (Black/White/Grey.. those colors will be fine correct?), $100 cash (too much?) and of course paperwork (those with mortgages, what did you bring?).

100 sounds about right. you won't get to use it until you get to your BCT platoon, but you'll get to buy "extra" stuff at the PX like nicer socks (8 bucks a pair, but totally worth it, and i still wear mine. 100000x more comfortable during a ruck), or other stuff like that, it will be nice to have some extra cash.

as far as the shoes go, just bring whatever. you'll be forced to overpay for crappy shoes that don't fit when you get to 30th.

Comment

Make sure after graduation, you buy all that PX stuff that says "RANGER" or "Special Forces" on it.......like the 18" Rambo knife....

Comment

I've read that you shouldn't bring more than $50 cash with you. It's basically going to be for food/misc while you travel (even though I'm pretty sure you get a voucher from your liaison at MEPS the day you ship). Plus, you have to have your debit card anyway so you could just use that.

Remember, they're going to give you a $250 debit card at reception to get supplies from the PX. Everyone I've talked to told me to not bring any running shoes as you'll have to buy them when you get down there anyway. I've also heard that the $250 comes out of your first check regardless if you use it, so you might as well.

For the mortgages/rental contracts, I was told to bring the copy of the rental contract and a copy of the most current utility bill. However, if you've got a wife/kids, you'll just need a copy of your marriage license or the kid's birth certificate(s). Double check with your recruiter, because the crew at MEPS already made copies of all of these things for me and it'll be in the packet that I take down there.

Sounds like you're mostly squared away otherwise. Just utilize all the remaining time with your family and friends. Hopefully I'll run into you when I get there!!

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
              Make sure after graduation, you buy all that PX stuff that says "RANGER" or "Special Forces" on it.......like the 18" Rambo knife....
              I was supposed to wait until after graduation?

Originally posted by Lance13D
              as far as the shoes go, just bring whatever. you'll be forced to overpay for crappy shoes that don't fit when you get to 30th.
              A couple guys at my RSP unit who just got back from Benning said they didn't care what you had for shoes. One of them wore shoes with bright neon yellow all around them. Who knows.
              Last edited by azIce; March 22nd, 2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mheathershaw
                Hopefully I'll run into you when I get there!!
                I'll be the old guy running with a limp... lol
                Last edited by azIce; March 22nd, 2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

A couple guys at my RSP unit who just got back from Benning said they didn't care what you had for shoes. One of them wore shoes with bright neon yellow all around them. Who knows.
                  Speaking of shoes.....let me know when you get to jump school what boots are "actually" allowed. They say no "modified" boots....does that mean insoles??

Comment

Ya, I'll have to find out. All of I've seen in this on the Benning site..

Standard issue combat boots for BDUs/ACUs. Hot weather/temperate weather tan boots for ACU's.
                    2 pair (Note: altered boots are not authorized)

Cushion soled socks black or green (for wear with boots) 5 pair

Comment

Spending extra money on premium socks will go a long way. Said it many times here. If you can do it at basic, do it. If you can't invest in them when you get home.

Comment

Signed the dotted line June 2nd and I left on June 6th. I had no time to think =P

Comment

I can only speak for my experiences, but the DSs at 30th said we were required to purchase new shoes from the PX, and if we did not, we'd be hold-unders.

Comment

Originally posted by anne.mckee
                            suckage...I like that.
                            Seriously though, I quite enjoyed it, I wonder if different times of the year and locale are different? It was hard but whats ever pleasurable in life that isn't?
                            bump

just to quote this.

Comment

Working...
                            X