Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the final weeks before BCT were you.....

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
    I'm 30 with a wife and a 2 year old baby girl that means the world to me. leaving them behind for 4 months is by far what i'm scared of the most.
    I feel you there bud! I'm a Split Op so I've only completed BCT thus far. I leave again this summer for AIT. This time I will not only be leaving my wife for 3 months but now I have a son that will be without his father. If you can can find strength to defeat the mental part of being away, BCT is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Reynolds
      I feel you there bud! I'm a Split Op so I've only completed BCT thus far. I leave again this summer for AIT. This time I will not only be leaving my wife for 3 months but now I have a son that will be without his father. If you can can find strength to defeat the mental part of being away, BCT is easy.
      i just keep hoping to be so busy that i won't be thinking about it the whole time i'm there. i have great friends that are there all the time to help my wife and daughter so that puts me at ease a lot more. plus it will teach my wife to be a little more independant and not take me for granted so much.

Comment

Be careful there is always a bandit in the mist...aka JODY.....he will long rick you everytime

Comment

Ole Jody boy came around to a lot of buddies kennels when I was at FLW.

Comment

I don't know who is worst Jody or a battle buddy? I never took a "buddy" around a decent woman....If hanging at the club and go to the "head" ( or go fetch a drink) and you comeback there spittin mad game on your girl.

Or worst yet they are giving her those "death row" inmate bedroom eyes like this is my last piece and I'm Charles Manson.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
              I don't know who is worst Jody or a battle buddy? I never took a "buddy" around a decent woman....If hanging at the club and go to the "head" ( or go fetch a drink) and you comeback there spittin mad game on your girl.

Or worst yet they are giving her those "death row" inmate bedroom eyes like this is my last piece and I'm Charles Manson.....LOL
              preach on brotha! there is a reason why i rarely mix civi friends and army friends

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
                I'm 30 with a wife and a 2 year old baby girl that means the world to me. leaving them behind for 4 months is by far what i'm scared of the most.
                I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm 25, have a child, not married legally..but married haha. I'll be at OSUT around the same time as you if you are leaving in a few weeks.

I think you just gotta learn that the people you are training with are your main support system while you're there, not so much the family back home. I'm a little nervous/anxious too. I just know I'll make friends there, probably life long ones, and come the end of training a part of me will be humbled by saying goodbye to them.

Comment

I'm 11 days out.. I feel very excited and anxious and can't wait to beginning everything. I know there will be ups and downs to everything but the experience that awaits me has me pumped up 24/7. Only anxiety I daze about is repelling and airborne if I get into it. Heights kinda bother me but I plan for that to change.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
                    I'm 11 days out.. I feel very excited and anxious and can't wait to beginning everything. I know there will be ups and downs to everything but the experience that awaits me has me pumped up 24/7. Only anxiety I daze about is repelling and airborne if I get into it. Heights kinda bother me but I plan for that to change.

Well it's no fun jumping out a plane if you're alright with heights. The fear is all the fun.

Comment

Didn't have a problem up until I went to the hotel the night before I shipped. Stomach was upset, didn't eat much for the first couple weeks, and I was also afraid of heights. When I got there, some nights I cried in the dark, quietly until I fell asleep thinking 'why am I doing this' and 'how can I put my wife through this?'

Eventually, it goes away and you fight through those feelings of homesickness and fear and drive on with becoming a soldier. I'm scared of heights, but I did what I needed to, granted I was shaking on some obstacles, and got through it.

Graduation day makes all those feelings worth it. Being a stronger person because you've dealt with those emotions also makes it worth it.

Comment

I had a "Honey Do" list so long it was killing be before I left. I was going to be gone 6mo. I bet I rewired, replumbed, painted, banking, cleaned carpets, bought and moved furniture, floored the attic, IT WAS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! Why did I have to put a floor in the attic when she didnt even go up there ever!! I think I was so relieved when it was time to ship, because I didnt have the stupid list of things to do.

I was so nervous on the bus ride in from the airport, because I was so afraid of the unknown shark attack. It didnt come, then, it came when I got out of reception. Reception was cake. I was assigned Fire Guard the first night, well second night, didnt get assigned to a bay until 30min before wake up the first night. So the second night, I guess I was assigned fire guard. It was the middle of the night shift. I woke up the next morning and realized that I didnt work the shift. I asked the guy that had the shift in front of my why he didnt wake me up. He said he did, said I sat up in the bunk, looked at him, punched him in the head and went back to sleep.

That is so unlike me, but I felt bad and offered to work his shift for him, but he kept saying no, and worked all of mine. He was physically afraid of me. I tried to convince him I was still asleep, and dont remember any of it, but he just refused to wake me when it was my turn and worked it for me.

I dont remember being nervous before I shipped, I just worked out a lot, and read and studied as much as I could about what was going to happen. I got more nervous about attending my first drill, rather than going to BCT.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                          I had a "Honey Do" list so long it was killing be before I left. I was going to be gone 6mo. I bet I rewired, replumbed, painted, banking, cleaned carpets, bought and moved furniture, floored the attic, IT WAS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! Why did I have to put a floor in the attic when she didnt even go up there ever!! I think I was so relieved when it was time to ship, because I didnt have the stupid list of things to do.
                          Sounds like me. Trees all trimmed, house baby-proofed, along with all that other stuff...(I'm a remodeler/Handyman). I floored my attic too. So, I could get a bunch of sh1t up there she doesn't need to deal with when I'm gone.

See the time of this post???......
                          I'm so anxious, I'm up most nights for a while. Anxious in a good way...excited!!!! Laying in bed not sleeping, I'll have to get up and research stuff....like having to switch shooting hands. Left hand/right eye dominant. Never had a problem, but apparently the Army makes you switch to match your eye dominance.

Comment

Originally posted by s.talley
                            Well it's no fun jumping out a plane if you're alright with heights. The fear is all the fun.
                            Never thought of it like that, good point. 4 days out now, boy sleeping is getting fun. Same feeling I had when I was young leaving for disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by orarng_11b
                              Same feeling I had when I was young leaving for disneyland.
                              Didnt you know??? It's basically like going to disney land

And you'll be wearing this...

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                                Didnt you know??? It's basically like going to disney land

And you'll be wearing this...

Hah, funny! How great! Wouldn't be surprised if I see something like that when I get there.

Comment

Working...
                                X