X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are NG members looked down upon?

Hey all, I don't know how to ask this, but I was just wondering if the other services, or even active army members, look down upon NG soldiers, as if they weren't "good enough." Is there any truth to this?

Thanks.

Re: Are NG members looked down upon?

No............

Comment

From my active duty point of view im not going to lie we didnt like the quick rank up we always heard about. Other then that i didn't have a problem with them.

Comment

Depends on who you are asking. I strongly think not.

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
          From my active duty point of view im not going to lie we didnt like the quick rank up we always heard about. Other then that i didn't have a problem with them.
          This is the 1st thing i always hear as a complaint for officers that are active and guard. The active ones complain that we shouldn't rank up to 1LT or CPT as fast as they do. But considering that we deploy just like them, work hard just like them, and have soldiers just like them, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. We have the added responsibility to "watch" over them when they aren't at drill, since we don't see them everyday like active. Either way, we aren't generals and can't change the regs yet, so they can deal with it till then.

Comment

Why would people look down on the National Guard? Ok what so do you just want those people to do nothing instead of serving? I say this to everyone who puts the Guard down and that it was the National Guard that was called the Militia at the time that fought the American Revolution.

Comment

I've got a buddy at AIT right now, and he said that a couple NG guys were catching **** from some active duty guys, because the National Guard's training was half as long.
              First, I asked what in the h3ll he meant. ha and he said that it wasn't, but that active duty guys thought it was. So none the less, that shows us National Guardsmen are smarter too.
              Another thing to think of too. The next time someone says something bad about the Guard, remember that it's the Guard that serves State too(Natural Disasters, etc). Not just Federal.

Alex

Comment

So AD chumps consider NG chumps to be different/inferior for any number of reasons, huh? That's news to me. Last time I checked, Guardsmen have and will continue to:

Serve the same country as AD,
                Go through the same basic training as AD,
                Go through the same schools as AD,
                Go on the same deployments as AD,
                Die for the same country as AD,
                Take the same artillery and shrapnel whizzing by their heads as AD,
                Grieve the loss of fallen companions just like AD, etc.

Oh but wait, Guardsmen only do "one weekend a month, two weeks a year". That makes your lives so much easier and simpler, so you're totally beneath the active soldiers! Riiight.

Comment

It's also alot harder to be in the National Guard then it is Active Duty because of teh fact that you have to two jobs to manage. Your Military life and your Civilian life

Comment

Originally posted by hIndsIght View Post
                    I was just wondering if the other services, or even active army members, look down upon NG soldiers
                    I'm generally looked down on by most...perhaps that is because Im only 5'6".

Comment

I've got an inch on you so HA! lol

Comment

Originally posted by hIndsIght View Post
                        Hey all, I don't know how to ask this, but I was just wondering if the other services, or even active army members, look down upon NG soldiers, as if they weren't "good enough." Is there any truth to this?
                        Yes, but it's pretty dated. At the beginnings of this war, there was a fair bit of dead weight in the Guard. Folks were deploying who were in no shape to do so. But after almost a decade of deployments, the Guard is in much better shape than it was 10 years ago. With half of all folks who've served in OEF/OIF being Guard or Reserve, the re****tion of the Guard being "weekend soldiers" is largely a thing of the past or at least well on its way.

And there are plenty of folks in the Army who are chestbeaters and summon up pride by looking down their nose at others. Some active look down on the Guard, some airborne look down their nose at legs, some Rangers look down their nose... etc. etc. etc. At the end of the day, there's no bad MOS and no form of service is wasted effort.

Comment

I have caught **** from active soldiers in the past. Its because we are "weekend warriors." From a combat arms stand point we are inferior in many ways. First off we don't train as much as they do. One weekend a month is not alot of time to train soldiers and maintain a standard, not to mention there are a few admin drills that come up a couple times a year detracting us from our training. As a 12B I go to the demo range once a year. ONCE a year! How often to AD 12B's get to build demo systems and go to the demo range? Alot more than we NG 12B's do. I keep myself profficient between drills because as an NCO I need to maintain a standard if I'm going to enforce it, but for PVT Snuffy he forgets everything I taught him last drill. Then there is the PT side, the failure rate is shamefull. AD 12B's in a Sapper company will ruck once a week if not twice, ranging from 6-15 miles with longer ones thrown in every 3-4 months. In my company we get to ruck 3-4 times a year, and most soldiers will struggle to finish the measly 4 mile distance at a usually sluggish pace. Very few will actually ruck on their own time between drills, study their 12B skill level one tasks and maintain a high PT standards. This is why the AD combat arms units look down on the NG combat arms units, and I can't blame them.

And to add, alot of NG units I have encountered and been apart of have laxed standards on military customs and courtesies compared to the AD side. I'm sure everyone in here has experienced this before.
                          Last edited by Explosive Hazard; November 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah, there are all types of nicknames for the National Guard.

But when you consider that at many points of OEF and OIF the majority of soldiers in the Combat Zone were and still are Guard soldiers.

We all know the truth, the National Guard leads the way.

When a war needs to be won, they call the National Guard.

Comment

Ive heard that some employers don't like to hire people in the guard/reserves because of deployments and stuff.
                              anyone heard the same?

Comment

Working...
                              X