Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are NG members looked down upon?

Originally posted by manda.lee View Post
    I have great friends in the mnarines and they call ng and army reserves tampons because they only get used once a month. They are giving me **** for wanted to join. They say that's where those who couldn't make it into active duty go. But they are jarheads lol
    Someone who is truly confident about his choices feels no need to disparage and insult someone else.

Here are the two big drivers of resentment from the active component (to include Marines):

1. Fear of the civilian world. Guardsmen have already figured out how to live in the civilian world, whereas this is a scary prospect for many active component personnel. They are not comfortable with finding a civilian job and career, but you've already done this.

2. Fear of redundancy. If you do something full-time, it's rather threatening to think that someone else can do your job 80% as well for 20% of the cost.

If an active component Soldier or Marine insults you, just smile and brush it off, and promise that you'll help them get into your Guard unit when they get out of service. Living well is the best revenge.

Comment

Ironically, I have seen many guardsman and reservists come on active duty because of the current state or our economy and their prospects and the benefits of serving on active duty (e.g. medical, 30 days paid leave).

My opinion is that it is about pride and ignorance. Each branch and component serves a purpose and provides a fit. The bottom line is that everyone is serving their country/state in one way, shape or form.

I have seen and experienced both sides of the looking glass.

Comment

in Guam, the national guards are known as heroes to the public. They take pride in supporting the guam national guard.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Ironically, I have seen many guardsman and reservists come on active duty because of the current state or our economy and their prospects and the benefits of serving on active duty (e.g. medical, 30 days paid leave).
          This applies to civilains enlisting in ANY part of the military...for the very reasons you listed. I would debate anyone who would think otherwise.
          Last edited by SteveLord; February 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM.

Comment

My opinion is that it is about pride and ignorance. Each branch and component serves a purpose and provides a fit. The bottom line is that everyone is serving their country/state in one way, shape or form.

I have seen and experienced both sides of the looking glass.
            Bottom line is no one branch of America's armed forces won a war all by themselves.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; February 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
              Bottom line is no one branch of America's armed forces won a war all by themselves.
              Overall, yes (The NG/Reserves are not branches but components). But Air Force was out of the equation prior to 1947 and there was always an argument to absorb the marines into the Army.

Each branch tries to grab a piece of the pie in each conflict. For example, the Navy hasnt seen any major battles since WWII (Korea and Vietnam and terror attacks were mines and other small attacks; I am referring to large ship on ship combat or aerial bombarbment not choppers) but they will squeak in their SEALs for any opportunity in Iraq and Afghanistan. They do provide deterrants and show of force capabilities. I can address the same for AF para rescuers. I say there is alot of redundancy but with today's joint world with combatant commanders calling the shots; each branch will participate.

I remember seeing federal LEOs in Afghanistan so they are playing a role in the war of terror. Its everyone's war now

Here is a nice thesis on the rivalry between the Army and the Marine Corps which mentions about combining the two branches.

http://thepopulist.wordpress.com/nev...y-and-marines/
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 16th, 2011, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                This applies to civilains enlisting in ANY part of the military...for the very reasons you listed. I would debate anything who would think otherwise.
                Not for love of country or selfless-service

Comment

Not for love of country or selfless-service
                  Those would be mine

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    Those would be mine
                    Chris, you are a dying breed my friend.

Comment

Chris, you are a dying breed my friend.
                      You couldn't have picked a better choice of words? LOL Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

I have a decent job and am already almost done with school; I have only ever wanted to serve just for the sake of serving my country.

G*d Bless America ~ HOOAH!
                      Last edited by Chris36; February 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM. Reason: More to say.....always more to say.

Comment

I remember seeing federal LEOs in Afghanistan so they are playing a role in the war of terror. Its everyone's war now
                        We received training from U.S. Border Patrol agents when I was in Iraq because part of our mission was border security at the Jordanian and Syrian borders. That was a weird, lol. "So, um, which part of this border between Iraq and Syria is considered a U.S. border?"

Comment

Once (while DH was studying at DLI for 18 months, so we had PCS'd to CA), I was sneered at by the wife of an AD airforce member. She said "She's a National Guard spouse - they don't know how to adapt."

This coming from a woman who had been in California (her DH had been at DLI as cadre) for nearly 3 years or so, being directed at a woman who had in the past 2 years had a husband be gone for IET (while she was pregnant), then had packed up her entire family (still pregnant) to move from home to accompany her husband to an 18 month school, have a baby, and then move back and have to start all over again in her home state (find a new house, find a new job, etc etc). And I wasn't even ornery or depressed about it! I actually enjoyed it!

I think we've adapted pretty well, thankyouverymuch.

NG families/servicemembers have to adapt back and forth from civilian to military life.

Not that it makes us any better than AD - but seriously, telling a NG spouse that they don't know how to adapt? Yeah. Right.

Comment

Which one is the National Guard Soldier and the U.S. Army Soldier?
                            Last edited by Mr_Loki; February 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Both active.

3rd ID and 2nd ID (since you changed it from 82nd AB)
                              Last edited by Mr_Loki; February 23rd, 2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

The one taking the picture

Comment

Working...
                                X