Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are NG members looked down upon?

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
    Really? Which uniform items were you referring to?

670-1, page 85:

BINGO...I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows how to reference

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      BINGO...I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows how to reference
      And I'm not even in the military right now, much less the Army. Doing one's homework, combing over all the details and leaving no stone unturned is one of the most valuable lessons I took away from my prior service and I call it, C.Y.A. Protocol™

Anyone who uses this term w/o my permission will be sued.

Comment

670-1, page 85:
        I am talking about soldiers wearing ACU pants like its a fashion statement or wearing the hat like its an accessory or things like that. The worst thing I've seen which i couldnt let slide was a soldier in flip flops in uniform and the excuse was im on my way to my unit. Im not perfect but I want to military to have the best image as possible because its already criticized as it is and i just dont want people to have another reason to go and this what my tax dollars attribute to? otherwise i say go military team!!

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          The most important lesson of stereotyping: If you don't like being stereotyped, don't behave in such a way that fulfills the stereotype.
          Sound advice that is.

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
            I am talking about soldiers wearing ACU pants like its a fashion statement or wearing the hat like its an accessory or things like that. The worst thing I've seen which i couldnt let slide was a soldier in flip flops in uniform and the excuse was im on my way to my unit. Im not perfect but I want to military to have the best image as possible because its already criticized as it is and i just dont want people to have another reason to go and this what my tax dollars attribute to? otherwise i say go military team!!
            Anyone can purchase any piece of the ACU uniform and wear it. That doesnt mean it's a soldier out of uniform. Im not saying this is always the case, because sometimes soldiers do the wrong thing, but I'd be willing to bet that more often then not it's someone not in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
              Anyone can purchase any piece of the ACU uniform and wear it. That doesnt mean it's a soldier out of uniform. Im not saying this is always the case, because sometimes soldiers do the wrong thing, but I'd be willing to bet that more often then not it's someone not in the military.
              True,at my school I've seen a few non-military kids just walking around with an unzipped ACU jacket or ACU pants mixed with civie attire.Why they do that I have no idea, I think it looks retarded

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
                In my experience, the attitude of being looked down upon by AD guys is borne out of ignorance, nothing more.

Just don't give them any reason to believe what they may have heard. If you are professional, it doesn't really matter, does it?
                Exactly. I have managed to change opinions of several AD guys because I say on top of my game. I may only put on the uniform one weekend a month but I'm a soldier 365 days a year, and I never step out of that mindset. Its up to us NCO's to drive that mindset and instill it in the junior enlisted. If I can manage to get that into just two of my soldiers I will have succeded provided they eventually do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                  I have caught **** from active soldiers in the past. Its because we are "weekend warriors." From a combat arms stand point we are inferior in many ways. First off we don't train as much as they do. One weekend a month is not alot of time to train soldiers and maintain a standard, not to mention there are a few admin drills that come up a couple times a year detracting us from our training. As a 12B I go to the demo range once a year. ONCE a year! How often to AD 12B's get to build demo systems and go to the demo range? Alot more than we NG 12B's do. I keep myself profficient between drills because as an NCO I need to maintain a standard if I'm going to enforce it, but for PVT Snuffy he forgets everything I taught him last drill. Then there is the PT side, the failure rate is shamefull. AD 12B's in a Sapper company will ruck once a week if not twice, ranging from 6-15 miles with longer ones thrown in every 3-4 months. In my company we get to ruck 3-4 times a year, and most soldiers will struggle to finish the measly 4 mile distance at a usually sluggish pace. Very few will actually ruck on their own time between drills, study their 12B skill level one tasks and maintain a high PT standards. This is why the AD combat arms units look down on the NG combat arms units, and I can't blame them.

And to add, alot of NG units I have encountered and been apart of have laxed standards on military customs and courtesies compared to the AD side. I'm sure everyone in here has experienced this before.
                  The apples to oranges comparison is where most of this stereo type comes from. AC and many RC Soldiers forget about the institutional memory that being in the NG/USAR brings.

Granted in one year, RC Soldiers may not stay proficient but those RC Soldiers often stay in the same slot for years when compared to active duty. That means they’re doing the training for years. Not to mention if they’re prepping for a mob all the extra training money/days.

So the Platoon Sergeant won’t just do two years to “punch his ticket”, same with the 18 months for PL/Commanders vs RC PL/Commanders who’ll do it for years and often be a PL/Commander more than once. RC NCO’s aren’t PCS’ing to Recruiter/DS duty ect.

APFT may be the one weak score to point out but it’s not all that bad. I’ve sat through enough senior leadership meetings to know it’s not all that bad. Mob the Soldier and most are passing within the first month. When I was mob’d as a PL, my platoon had more Soldiers passing then the active duty company we were attached to.

Sloppy uniform wear ect, it’s no different than active duty. After working in a MP station for 15 months and seeing the stupid stuff active duty Soldiers are doing and it’s obvious RC Soldiers aren’t that bad.

Overall, most bashing really comes from junior enlisted and junior officers who have either never worked with a RC unit or just had one bad experience. Most senior AC officers/NCO’s I’ve met have been more then pleased with the performance of NG/USAR Soldiers.

Comment

It seems every branch of the military looks down upon all the other branches. The way I see it, we are all in it for the same cause, and that's all that matters. We choose our branch and our duties. If you don't like your choice too bad. Move to the Guard! Hoorah!

Comment

670-1, page 85:
                      Oh darn. I guess I cannot walk around campus with my ACU top tucked into my PT shorts anymore. I actually have to wear a complete ACU.

Comment

Speaking of which: why does the Army and the Guard wear the ACU everywhere, anyway? Anywhere there's service members of any other branch out in public or anywhere outside of the field, they're almost always wearing slacks and buttoned shirts or some kind of proper office-like attire. The Army/Guard otoh, has to stick out like a sore thumb by wearing those frumpy ACUs in lieu of just about every other uniform in the Army's wardrobe.

Sup wit dat, yo?
                        Last edited by Rokovak; December 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM. Reason: hukt oh fonix

Comment

Speaking of which: why does the Army and the Guard wear the ACU everywhere, anyway? Anywhere there's service members of any other branch out in public or anywhere outside of the field, they're almost always wearing slacks and buttoned shirts or some kind of proper office-like attire. The Army/Guard otoh, has to stick out like a sore thumb by wearing those frumpy ACUs in lieu of just about every other uniform in the Army's wardrobe.

Sup wit dat, yo?
                          Last edited by Rokovak; Today at 09:37 AM. Reason: hukt oh fonix
                          all i can say is priceless hahaha

Comment

I think the ACU's look great and very professional; I cannot WAIT to get mine and wear them with pride. Not too sure about the 'digital camoflage' pattern but at least it not BLUE like ones I have seen for the Navy.

Civilians do tend to wear the attire...ALOT. A favorite shopping place for my teenage daughter and her friends is the local PX (not an OFFICIAL PX, were talking where people SELL their old ACU's, gear, etc). Apprently it is considered very 'cool' to dress like a soldier (less the medals) they all have ACU caps, had dog tags made....

They say the highest form of flattery is imitation; as long as it is not being worn in disrespect and actual soldiers aren't walking around like slobs, I'd thik soldiers would be flattered that kids look up to them and want to don their gear. My son has a complete mini-size ACU and dreams of enlisting. Be proud

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                              I think the ACU's look great and very professional.....
                              Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree, depending on context.

And what I mean by context: the ACU itself doesn't rub me the wrong way, it's where it's worn, and how it looks relative to other services, that rubs me in all the wrong ways.

Comment

Sup wit dat, yo?
                                I agree 100% with your sentiment here. I refuse to wear ACUs off base unless required by my duties for that day. I try to avoid even stopping for gas for my POV while in ACUs.

Comment

Working...
                                X