Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are NG members looked down upon?

Originally posted by Rokovak View Post
    So AD chumps consider NG chumps to be different/inferior for any number of reasons, huh? That's news to me. Last time I checked, Guardsmen have and will continue to:

Serve the same country as AD,
    Go through the same basic training as AD,
    Go through the same schools as AD,
    Go on the same deployments as AD,
    Die for the same country as AD,
    Take the same artillery and shrapnel whizzing by their heads as AD,
    Grieve the loss of fallen companions just like AD, etc.

Oh but wait, Guardsmen only do "one weekend a month, two weeks a year". That makes your lives so much easier and simpler, so you're totally beneath the active soldiers! Riiight.
    Add to that...
    Have the same flight hour minimums as AD.
    Have the same currency requirements as AD.
    In many cases have more time in the aircraft than AD counterparts.

I actually had an AD ARMY guy snub me and not even want to talk to me up at Lakehurst, NJ. He was picking up a new aircraft for his unit in Ft. Riley, KS. I asked when he was leaving. He rolled his eyes and said, "Tomorrow. We already have the aircraft staged out on the ramp." I told him "Good luck with that. Are you going west to Kansas?" He said, "Yeah, we should have no problem." He turned his head and walked off.

The next day, the ceilings were 400' overcast, icing at the surface, and winds gusting to 45 kts. They started up, took off and turned right around and landed. Approach control had told them a C-130 on their route had reported SEVERE turbulence. (That is enough to knock around a C-130 and set it in a 30 degree uncommanded angle of bank.)

When the pilot returned, he looked a few years older. I mentioned that we had read the forcast and decided not to attempt a departure that day. I told hime we were on our way to the hotel and dinner. I asked if they wanted to join us. He told me, "No". I asked, "So, is this your first new aircraft delivery?" He replied, "Yeah." I stated, "Yeah, well this is my 8th delivery flight this year."

The AD Navy guys are any better. They seem very surprised when I tell them I have more time in a SEAHAWK than they do.

I guess it is hard for AD guys to grasp the fact that someone can do as good or better a job as they do, while doing it part time.

Comment

with all due respect, i agree with sgt juggernaut because while on active duty we would have guard members at training who would be extremely relaxed with their military customs and it would then be coupled with the im getting promoted to blah blah blah once i get home and i've not been in for a year yet. It was annoying and made guard look stuck up and to me brought on them the "weekend warrior" title i understand that you have a job besides this but when you put yourself on a high horse it brings despised attitudes towards individuals of that affiliation. But yeah im over that now to me its about character now.
      Last edited by stillw87; November 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by jrsdaddy View Post
        Ive heard that some employers don't like to hire people in the guard/reserves because of deployments and stuff.
        anyone heard the same?
        Depends on who you are applying with, I know for certain, I got call backs because I was in the Guard.

Plus if you are going to work for the Government then they perfer soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by stillw87 View Post
          we would have guard members at training who would be extremely relaxed with their military customs.
          This is a real problem. I've messed up sometimes too.

Comment

In my experience, the attitude of being looked down upon by AD guys is borne out of ignorance, nothing more.

Just don't give them any reason to believe what they may have heard. If you are professional, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
              In my experience, the attitude of being looked down upon by AD guys is borne out of ignorance, nothing more.

Just don't give them any reason to believe what they may have heard. If you are professional, it doesn't really matter, does it?
              I agree with your philosophy but then riddle me this. Why do i see guys wearing the uniform mixed and matched with civie gear and its during the week? It happens all the time on campus and around it. And before you give me well its college students, mind you there are ad guys same age who wouldnt dare do something of the nature for fear of repercussions. I understand that to some the guard is nothing more then a part-time job but i feel that there should be a strict code enforced off duty also so when its time to get mobilized its not time taken to reteach something that should be already known. I mean yeah it might be a little extreme to some but to me anything military isn't less then 100% serious. (blame it on growing up army brat who took a liking to it young and the fact i went ad myself)

Comment

I have seen turds in the AD and I have seen turds in the NG. A lot of it depends on the individual. If you want to succeed, you will keep yourself in shape and study for your MOS. We all have good and bad soldiers in our units. Its no different on the AD side as well. Do the best job you can, and never quit learning. There isnt a difference, as long as you understand what the mission is and apply yourself to the best of your ability to accomplish the mission. Drive on, and strive to make every situation better than when you found it.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                  It's also alot harder to be in the National Guard then it is Active Duty because of teh fact that you have to two jobs to manage. Your Military life and your Civilian life
                  When I was an active duty Marine we all had quite a bit of respect for all the reserve forces, to include the Guard, for this very reason. It's not just two jobs, it's two lives. When you're on active duty the military is not your job, it's you're life, and I don't just mean that in a corny recruiting commercial sense. You live in a barracks room, go to the E-club to get drunk, eat in the chow hall, shop at the PX, etc. Your whole life is the military. My "job" was literally a one minute walk from my "home", just across the parking lot. When you deploy or do a CAX or something, it's not a huge issue. It's just part of daily life. With reserve forces, that's not the case. Everything is a minor inconvenience at best, and often much more than minor. And all the adminstrative aspects are much more difficult too. All the times you hear "have this done by next drill" or "take care of that before next drill", yeah, you don't have to deal with that on active duty. Getting administrative stuff take care of is simply your assigned task for that day. It's what you get paid to do, not something you have to find time to do after you're done with work at your civilian job. Like if your medical status is red, you just sit at medical all day waiting around to get everything updated, and you get paid to do just sit there and play games on your cellphone all day while you're waiting. If you can't get everything done in that one day, you go back the next day, no big deal. AD is just a lot less complicated. Seriously, we couldn't figure out how all the part-time folks were able to actually stay sane given the current op tempo. Anyone on AD who doesn't recoginze how much more difficult it is to be in the Guard or Reserves is just ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by 0844 View Post
                    When I was an active duty Marine we all had quite a bit of respect for all the reserve forces, to include the Guard, for this very reason. It's not just two jobs, it's two lives. When you're on active duty the military is not your job, it's you're life, and I don't just mean that in a corny recruiting commercial sense. You live in a barracks room, go to the E-club to get drunk, eat in the chow hall, shop at the PX, etc. Your whole life is the military. My "job" was literally a one minute walk from my "home", just across the parking lot. When you deploy or do a CAX or something, it's not a huge issue. It's just part of daily life. With reserve forces, that's not the case. Everything is a minor inconvenience at best, and often much more than minor. And all the adminstrative aspects are much more difficult too. All the times you hear "have this done by next drill" or "take care of that before next drill", yeah, you don't have to deal with that on active duty. Getting administrative stuff take care of is simply your assigned task for that day. It's what you get paid to do, not something you have to find time to do after you're done with work at your civilian job. Like if your medical status is red, you just sit at medical all day waiting around to get everything updated, and you get paid to do just sit there and play games on your cellphone all day while you're waiting. If you can't get everything done in that one day, you go back the next day, no big deal. AD is just a lot less complicated. Seriously, we couldn't figure out how all the part-time folks were able to actually stay sane given the current op tempo. Anyone on AD who doesn't recoginze how much more difficult it is to be in the Guard or Reserves is just ignorant.
                    no disrespect but what were you doing with your free time i took civies to work in the car to change and get the heck off base asap lol but still otherwise to put it in the aspect that ad isnt a inconvience is to belittle the idea of it. One most people take a serious pay cut to join ad. Two, most single soldiers bond because we didnt have family around, 3 when national guard troops come home its a big hooblah about it (not belittling here just trying to balance the sides, im always the devils advocate ) but ad troops your might catch wind here or there. I understand that ad signed up for it but hey give the guys something because ad the end of the day your getting two paychecks while they get one otherwise like i previously stated im about personalities and attitudes.

P.S. when i was ad usaf i was defending the army there so dont think im picking sides i just like to be on the opposite side that's winning.

Comment

no disrespect but what were you doing with your free time i took civies to work in the car to change and get the heck off base asap lol but still otherwise to put it in the aspect that ad isnt a inconvience is to belittle the idea of it. One most people take a serious pay cut to join ad. Two, most single soldiers bond because we didnt have family around, 3 when national guard troops come home its a big hooblah about it (not belittling here just trying to balance the sides, im always the devils advocate ) but ad troops your might catch wind here or there. I understand that ad signed up for it but hey give the guys something because ad the end of the day your getting two paychecks while they get one otherwise like i previously stated im about personalities and attitudes.

P.S. when i was ad usaf i was defending the army there so dont think im picking sides i just like to be on the opposite side that's winning.
                      In my free time? Whatever I felt like doing, I suppose. I guess I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I'm not trying to belittle anything, though. I apologize if it came across that way.

Comment

It's common for any group to disparage any other group that isn't them. Putting down other groups is often a sign of insecurity. Some of the most respectful comments I've ever had about the Guard came from a Navy SEAL. Hey, he's a Navy SEAL, so self-confidence isn't his most likely character deficiency. An intelligent, centered professional can identify problems, but also identify successes. I don't take part in the inter-service rivalries, because it's ultimately counterproductive.

The most important lesson of stereotyping: If you don't like being stereotyped, don't behave in such a way that fulfills the stereotype.

Comment

Why do i see guys wearing the uniform mixed and matched with civie gear and its during the week? It happens all the time on campus and around it.
                          Probably because it's allowed in the 670-1

Comment

Originally posted by hIndsIght View Post
                            Hey all, I don't know how to ask this, but I was just wondering if the other services, or even active army members, look down upon NG soldiers, as if they weren't "good enough." Is there any truth to this? Thanks.
                            To help form your opinion of National Guard Soldiers, check out this film:
                            http://military.discovery.com/videos...s-of-iraq.html
                            http://www.amazon.com/This-War-Memor...dsm_B002SKOVHI
                            http://www.thisiswarmovie.com/hello-world/

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                              Probably because it's allowed in the 670-1
                              That is a reason why they might look down because it isn't allowed by ad regs but to each his own because as long as we are all happy then its all good! so lets all just say this people are going to be people and talk about others no matter what because its just in human nature to find ways to uplift themselves, coming from my psych major background.

Comment

That is a reason why they might look down because it isn't allowed by ad regs but to each his own because as long as we are all happy then its all good! so lets all just say this people are going to be people and talk about others no matter what because its just in human nature to find ways to uplift themselves, coming from my psych major background.
                                Really? Which uniform items were you referring to?

670-1, page 85:
                                14–4. Occasions for wear
                                The PFU and the IPFU are authorized for wear on and off duty, on and off the installation, when authorized by the commander. Soldiers may wear all or part of the PFU or IPFU with civilian attire off the installation, when authorized by the commander.

Comment

Working...
                                X