X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard to Active Duty...???

My name is Jennifer and I'm with the Tn National Guard...My unit and I recently returned home from a deployment to Iraq!! My husband and i both are with the military and we are both wanting to go active duty!! The problem with that is we both recieved the $20000 lump sum bonuse...!! Aug made three years he has been in and oct 10 made 2 years for me!! My question is what is the regulations on going active duty and the bonus!! Ive heard soooo many things...I've heard as long as u have served 24 months upon completion of AIT you will not have to repay your bonus... i heard all u have to do is serve 6 months with your unit... and ive heard u cant unless you serve ur entire term...which would be 6 years!!! Will some one who ACTUALLY knows the correct answer please let me know!! And another question... if i was to go active duty before i reached my time limited allowed how much of the bonus would i pay back... the whole thing.. a prorated amount.... and how would they take the payment from me??? I apologize this is alot..its just im just trying to make a life for myself and my husband bc since being home from a deployment neither of us have been able to find jobs at all!!! Thanks for any information that any one has!!
    Last edited by Phantom; October 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: Deleted Last Name - PERSEC

Re: National Guard to Active Duty...???

Financial question from PFC Poore. That's rich.

Comment

I never got a bonus.

chd's pun skills are rich.

sounds like the Poores want to keep their riches so they can stay in the Poore house.

Comment

Before worrying about whether or not you'd lose your bonus, you should first see if your state is even releasing people to active duty right now. Some states are easier then others to get released from. If no one has been conditionally released, then the rest wont even matter because that would "probably" mean you wouldnt be either.

Comment

I was informed that at the beginning of the new physical year which was i believe oct. that they would be releasing ppl ...!! But like i said Im asking questions to alot of ppl and they arent exactly giving me straight answers!! I was told that it was all up to my command...thats really the only answer i am recieving...!! I have already spoke w a Army Recruitor and was informed that i can fill out some form..(dunno exactly the name of that form) and submit it to my command... and was then advised that its a possibility!! So idk exactly.... that is simply why i am reaching out for some HARD facts!!

Comment

DD 368. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Comment

Getting a Conditional Release DD368 is indeed a big leap of faith and quite a bit of legwork. If the process for your state is similiar to mine, its lengthy. Let me elaborate:

The Packet for release from my state involves the following
              1. Statement of release from your immediate C.O.C (signed initially by the CO and 1SG)
              2 then it moves to BN (must be signed and approved by Bn CO and Bn CSM)
              3.then it moves up to your Bde S1 for approval by Bde CO or representative
              4.then, it passes to Div G1 for approval/disapproval. If it is not approved, it gets sent back to BDE where it is sent to BN with a statement of why it was not approved. If it is approved, it goes to NGB and back down to your BDE then BN.

Mind you, from the minute it is signed, you have 90 days to act on it, so you have to be on the ball about everything. You also must include a statement as to why you wish to go active. Include good reason (economically feasible for you and your spouse, wish to make a full time career, etc) I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, make it good. Our BDE shot down quite a few do to reasons not being good enough (as silly as this may sound.) and be patient. It can be quick, OR, it can be like mine. I started the process back in March in iraq, as per our BDE policy, and got it approved 3 weeks ago.
              You might good to go on your bonus, but, one part of the packet is a counseling session about bonus/loan repayments (if applicable.)

best of luck to you, the rewards are worth it.

Comment

PFC Poore I can't get over the fact that you use two exlamation marks at the end of every sentence!!

Oh and good post Jmiranda_Cav and congratulations. Its very difficult to be released to go active duty in alot of states. Its a money issue. The guard spent money to train you and every year you are on their books they recieve money from the government, so you generate money for them.

Comment

Last one I knew of took about three months and then another month waiting for a slot to reclass. Also happened after a deployment. Lots of supply issues and thinking part of the process would be completed to find out more had to be done. She is loving it now though! Jmiranda, have you seen any of your 42A Brigade people that replaced us at Prosperity, lately? How did it go for them? Ever get to the CAC Office there?

Comment

Becky,
                    when i extended, I worked with a slew of them at Stryker when BDE moved and 256th took over JASG-C. They had some interesting stories to tell. I did make it over to the CAC office once, to take a soldier to get his pin reset. We used to go to Prosperity once in awhile as a bit of a break from the grind at the IHT. So glad its over, let me tell ya.

Comment

I miss it there, I have a friend who went right back as a civilian to same place. Lots of changes. Do you know if there is currently a JASG there and where they are from? If its a NG unit?

Comment

256 BCT took it over. I think its still JASG, but last time I did a commo check with them when were pushing out our BDE out of Stryker, they had renamed it 256 JOC or something of that nature. When we left, they were doing a lot of restructuring. I already miss it tbh. I am not having a good time reintegrating, but that is for another day.

to original poster, best of luck on getting the 368, you will need it.

Comment

Working...
                        X