Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't hide medical conditions

/getting on my soapbox

Okay, the only reason I am posting this is because I am seeing the direct result of hiding medical conditions. It really doesn't matter if you are hiding it because you want to join, or because you want to deploy. You can only hide it for so long.

Case and point, within 7 days of arriving in Afghanistan, 3 soldiers in my unit got sent by MEDEVAC to Germany for conditions that they were hiding but could hide no longer (HTN, Gout, and Asthma). This puts a HUGE stress on my unit as all 3 were very key players (S2, a TC, and our S6). 2 of the 3 had these conditions for years but hid it. Once in theater, your body is put through great stress and exposed to all kinds of environmental crud. Whatever you think you are hiding will expose itself and resources here a VERY LIMITED.

Just don't do it.

/getting off my soapbox

Re: Don't hide medical conditions

Question then comes up how did they make it through basic training?

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
      Question then comes up how did they make it through basic training?
      All 3 of the above mentioned conditions could have formed after basic training. Especially the gout and HTN if they are older soldiers.

Comment

Not sure how they made it through BCT as well as all the very physical pre-deployment training we did. I did see one guy with his inhaler at the last APFT but that was back in the US before we were exposed to dirt that is partly comprised of fecal material. (TMI, I'm sorry) I think because we are National Guard, most soldiers seek medical care through their private doctors and never bother to tell their units. Once deployed, they no longer have access to doctors and prescriptions without going through Military medicine. The are fully aware of their conditions, but choose to manage it on their own, not realizing the limitations of medical care.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRN
          not realizing the limitations of medical care.
          Or you mean goverment run care

Comment

Sometimes it is just not fair though, I wanted to join military my whole life. Now that I'm in I may be taken out due to problems with both my knees and lower back. My knees are getting worst, can't run (it started with shin splints now I dont get those anymore *that I know of* ),Can't stand long. and can't sit long due to lower back hurting (I was supposed to ship aug 16th)..Im FUBAR

I see so many people in perfect health throw their life away by being in gangs, doing drugs, etc... If only I can switch bodies with them..They say what happens happens for a reason,but sometimes it isn't fair

/end *hides my soft side*

yeah people listen to it, what the guys at MEPS say isn't no joke its what's best for you. Dont hide anything.

Comment

Ditto what QuantumRN is saying. I think a lot of folks hide meds and conditions from medical corps out of fear of being kept from deploying with their units. They figure that they're healthy and they're okay, and disclosing different illnesses, maladies, and medications can only lead to the medical corps keeping them from shipping.

What sounds like a harmless condition or medication to you may in fact be something that could be extremely dangerous on deployment. Some medications do not play nicely with dehydration, overexertion, or climate, which may not be apparent until you're over there. Some conditions may seem benign now but become life threatening with the stressors of being deployed. This is not stuff that you can gloss from WebMD. It's biochemistry, pharmacology, genetics, microbiology and all sorts of factors that come in to play and is the reason docs have to train for longer than a manslaughter sentence.

Deploying with these meds or conditions not only put you at risk, they put your fellow soldiers at risk. Choosing not to disclose is not you being a tough guy, it's ultimately you being a selfish guy. You're essentially saying that your getting the chance to deploy is more important than the safety of the soldier to your left and right.

Don't be that guy.

Comment

Im actually trying to join and the 1st thing i told my recruiter was i had surgery 3 yrs ago and had my gallbladder removed and he said it might be a problem and that hed hafta get back to me on monday ive been told i cant join but he said that if the doc says its ok then i can and like you said id rather tell somebody about my condition then hafta have it bite me in the arse and may cause a fellow soldier harm .... im really hoping i can join and this wont be a prob my best friend joined the Navy and she had heart surgery soooooo im crossing my fingers bc i want to better my life and this is what i feel the perfect way

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4chick
                  Im actually trying to join and the 1st thing i told my recruiter was i had surgery 3 yrs ago and had my gallbladder removed and he said it might be a problem and that hed hafta get back to me on monday ive been told i cant join but he said that if the doc says its ok then i can and like you said id rather tell somebody about my condition then hafta have it bite me in the arse and may cause a fellow soldier harm .... im really hoping i can join and this wont be a prob my best friend joined the Navy and she had heart surgery soooooo im crossing my fingers bc i want to better my life and this is what i feel the perfect way
                  You might make it medically, but the grammar part of the test will get you. You'll have to use punctuation.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                    You might make it medically, but the grammar part of the test will get you. You'll have to use punctuation.
                    Lol Yea I know ,it's a bad habit I need to break ........

But I really hope I get a Ok on this !!

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4chick
                      I count 9 and's. What did everyone else get? and technically thats all just once sentence,she went .... on us!

Comment

Sorry I babble when i'm nervous, I`ve been on and off the phone with my recruiter all day bc of this ..

Comment

Could all three of these medical conditions be the result of the higher elevation in the A-Stan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
                            Could all three of these medical conditions be the result of the higher elevation in the A-Stan?
                            Hypertension, Gout, and Asthma? No. HTN and Asthma could be aggravated by the elevation, which is why the Army wants to know about it before deploying you.

Elevation wouldn't cause any of them. Best bet is on obesity/smoking, obesity/alcohol, and obesity/smoking, respectively.

Comment

Working...
                            X