X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting treated unfairly by employer

Since I enlisted I've noticed my boss acting differently towards me, giving me shifts that don't tip as well, and giving the new hire guy better tipping shifts. Does anybody have any good advice for me to get my better tipping shifts back? Also I am given trouble when I take weekends off to drill. He always asks me if I have to go, and how It's a huge inconvenience for him.

Re: getting treated unfairly by employer

Originally posted by DKad
    Since I enlisted I've noticed my boss acting differently towards me, giving me shifts that don't tip as well, and giving the new hire guy better tipping shifts. Does anybody have any good advice for me to get my better tipping shifts back?
    Have you asked your boss about this? Have you mentioned that you've noticed your shifts have changed since you enlisted and why that is? Listen to his answer (he may have a legitimate one you're not aware of) and document it. If he's punitively scheduling you due to Guard duty, you have recourse.
    Originally posted by DKad
    He always asks me if I have to go, and how It's a huge inconvenience for him.
    It IS a huge inconvenience for him. Before you wave the flag and talking about employee rights, it helps if you understand the position he's in. Having an employee in the Guard, in most jobs requiring shift work, just plain s-u-c-k-s. Everyone wants weekends off, and now you have someone that you have to schedule off every weekend.

Keep in mind that you chose to join the Guard, but your boss didn't. Be mindful of the fact that your decision impacts his job negatively. Approach the subject diplomatically.

And at the end of the day, he doesn't have to like your being in the Guard, but he can't penalize you for it. If your schedule is being written to punish you, you have protection.
    Last edited by notyetdead; September 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Make sure you can prove any of this...

Comment

Look for another job. If you haven't gotten "your boss's blessing" before enlisting, and just done it... Your work place will be unhappy for you, so get ready.

Comment

Majority of employers frown upon "moonlighting" or taking a second job.

Comment

Give your boss your Yearly training dates, it will show that you are willing to work with the scheduling and nothing will be a surprise. Just be open.

Comment

Is it really to much trouble to give off one weekend a month and two weeks a year?

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
                Is it really to much trouble to give off one weekend a month and two weeks a year?
                That really depends on what your job is and how large of a company you work for. Take for instance my job. I work shiftwork, second shift. My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday. Right now, every day off I take creates overtime on my shift. There's a large amount of money being covered for my military leave. I have to take about 40+ days off per year, not counting the nine weeks I'll be at school next year.

If I worked for a small employer, there is no way I'd expect them to cover that kind of cash outlay and work shortage. I happen to work for the state, so all of those issues are a moot point. Having some understanding of the burden you are placing on your employer can help foster better relations.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
                  That really depends on what your job is and how large of a company you work for. Take for instance my job. I work shiftwork, second shift. My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday. Right now, every day off I take creates overtime on my shift. There's a large amount of money being covered for my military leave. I have to take about 40+ days off per year, not counting the nine weeks I'll be at school next year.

If I worked for a small employer, there is no way I'd expect them to cover that kind of cash outlay and work shortage. I happen to work for the state, so all of those issues are a moot point. Having some understanding of the burden you are placing on your employer can help foster better relations.
                  The Des Moines Register just did an article on state overtime. There is a guy who made $87k in OT...on top of his $42k salary. Made more than the governor. clicky

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                    The Des Moines Register just did an article on state overtime. There is a guy who made $87k in OT...on top of his $42k salary. Made more than the governor. clicky
                    Of course, unlike the governor, they were doing honest work...

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
                      Of course, unlike the governor, they were doing honest work...
                      LOL....Honest work? Kinda like bilking the taxpayers in OT payments! Only in America you'll fine such lasvish examples of waste, fraud, and abuse! No wonder why "outsourcing" is needed or privatization.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord

I heard about that.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                          LOL....Honest work? Kinda like bilking the taxpayers in OT payments!
                          Uh... it's not "bilking" anyone to bill for hours of work delivered. Folks are welcome to get their nursing degree and take care of the infirm for 80 hours a week to make that kind of overtime if they'd like.
                          Originally posted by 7011USMC
                          Only in America you'll fine such lasvish examples of waste, fraud, and abuse! No wonder why "outsourcing" is needed or privatization.
                          That cracks me up. You want to talk about "bilking the taxpayers", pick up a paper and read how Halliburton and there buddies did in Iraq. THAT is bilking. Private industry makes it into a science.

And this isn't really a government thing. Ambitious nurses can earn double their base pay in overtime if they're willing to work like a dog. You can do it working 80 hours a week if you don't mind doing the weekends and holidays. That's how it plays at lots of the private hospitals.

If my employer agrees to pay me a wage and authorizes my overtime, I ain't bilking anyone. I'm doing my job. The reason these folks are getting so much overtime is because the employer is trying to run with fewer employees. If they want to hire someone else to get rid of the overtime, they're welcome to do it.
                          Last edited by notyetdead; September 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I encountered yours same problem when I was working for walgreens as a photo lab tech.

Most employers have no idea about the guard, and how it works, its not your job to educate them, but it would certainly help. Print out your states laws/acts that support soldiers drilling, being putting on orders and so forth. Sit down and explain what a AT is, and what a MUTA is, and how it might change somtimes. Sitting down and explaining in detail so there are no *** areas would help you out alot. Try to find a job that supports the military if all else fails, I work with prior service, and police officers at a CCTV monitoring company, pays ok 12.00 a hour. They understand, and support the guard in all aspects. It helps when your boss was in the guard.......

Comment

One thing is paying for skilled labor (care) vs non skilled labor. You mean to tell me if you was running a business and had an employee that made 42k per annum based on a 40 hr work week schedule and had an average of 91 hrs (of which 51 hrs is OT) billed per week isn't excessive?

Of course I'm sure with with all your infinite wisdom and dissecting ability surely you can figure it out?

The bottom line is "lack of planning doesn't consitute an emergency on my behalf".

Just wait when you open your private practice.....I can guarantee when it is your money on the line you won't be so profligating!

Comment

Working...
                              X