• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: getting treated unfairly by employer

Eh just figured I'd post it

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
      I can personally vouch that the Guard commitment is well beyond this. I was often on orders for 30 days at a clip, for a total of about 120 days in addition to my Drills/AT. I certainly felt bad for my employer, but luckily they were nothing but supportive of my service and worked with me on every issue.

I agree with this, if you want to suceed in your NG career, the One Weekend a Month, Two weeks a Year, is the bare minimum.

You have to give credit to whatever marketing genious came up with that slogan. It doesnt hold water after the actions on Sept 11th though.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
        I agree with this, if you want to suceed in your NG career, the One Weekend a Month, Two weeks a Year, is the bare minimum.

You have to give credit to whatever marketing genious came up with that slogan. It doesnt hold water after the actions on Sept 11th though.
        Well then it brings up the question just how far does a person want to go in the Service? I mean if all they do is the minimum that doesn't make them a bad person it could just mean that they can't give more then that. Ok I know alot of people probably disagree with that but hey it is what it is sometimes.

Comment

No your correct, there is nothing wrong with just doing the minimum. Serving your country is respectable at any level. At the same time, if you want promotion and promotion points, your going to have to go to schools, and events.

Comment

corr. courses, college classes are a-ok for promotions (there is a max)

Comment

When in GTMO, we only had 1 leave and little to no days off. So we referred the "one weekend a month/two weeks a year" to that instead.

Comment

I was just talking to a friend of mine about and unfortunitly there is a mindset today more then ever before and this is also in the minds of people who never served and thats if your not some special forces high ranking officer then your nothing. I mean I'm sure we have all met at least one person who thinks that. I mean whatever happened to just being s Soldier? In my town there are two neighbors of mine one has been in the Army Reserves for the last 38 years and the other has been in the Marine Reserves for the lats 40. they never went to any schools or anything like that but there are people out there who would think that he's not a real Soldier or he's not a real Marine.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
                  I was just talking to a friend of mine about and unfortunitly there is a mindset today more then ever before and this is also in the minds of people who never served and thats if your not some special forces high ranking officer then your nothing. I mean I'm sure we have all met at least one person who thinks that. I mean whatever happened to just being s Soldier? In my town there are two neighbors of mine one has been in the Army Reserves for the last 38 years and the other has been in the Marine Reserves for the lats 40. they never went to any schools or anything like that but there are people out there who would think that he's not a real Soldier or he's not a real Marine.
                  I think part of that has to do with the fact that nothing on TV has to do with normal soldiers. People think of saving private ryan(Rangers), Blackhawk Down(Rangers and delta), and pretty much anything else that people see about the military has to do with the special units. The educated public knows that even just the regular soldier/marine/airmen that has no specialized schooling besides his/her mos has a special role in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by shill286
                    I think part of that has to do with the fact that nothing on TV has to do with normal soldiers. People think of saving private ryan(Rangers), Blackhawk Down(Rangers and delta), and pretty much anything else that people see about the military has to do with the special units. The educated public knows that even just the regular soldier/marine/airmen that has no specialized schooling besides his/her mos has a special role in the military.
                    I agree the media and hollywood are pretty much to thank for that I'm sorry to say. I love that show Surviving the Cut but again it is just showing the tip of the sword and not the rest of it and without the rest of that sword the tip couldn't swing, thrust or block. People really should be aware of that

Comment

exactly, don't get me wrong, I love all the shows about the specialty schools and what not. I think there needs to be more shows about the "normal jobs". 88m just drives a truck right? no danger there. would be nice for everyone to realize how it is for the military regardless of MOS.

Comment

No your correct, there is nothing wrong with just doing the minimum.

STAN I need to talk about your flair.
                        JOANNA Really? I have 15 buttons on. I, uh, (shows him)
                        STAN Well, ok, 15 is minimum, ok?
                        JOANNA Ok.
                        STAN Now, it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Well, like Brian, for example, has 37 pieces of flair. And a terrific smile.
                        JOANNA Ok. Ok, you want me to wear more?
                        STAN Look. Joanna.
                        JOANNA Yeah.
                        STAN People can get a cheeseburger anywhere, ok? They come to Chotchkie's for the atmosphere and the attitude. That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.

It's all about the flair...

Comment

Well at the end of the day I am still proud to have my God d a m m stapler

Comment

Well at the end of the day I am still proud to have my God d a m m stapler

That's the American dream, friend.

Comment

YesWeCan2008............how did you come up with that name?

Comment

YesWeCan2008............how did you come up with that name?
                                Change is inspiring, my friend. That's all I can say

Comment

Working...
                                X