Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: getting treated unfairly by employer

Originally posted by 7011USMC
    You mean to tell me if you was running a business and had an employee that made 42k per annum based on a 40 hr work week schedule and had an average of 91 hrs (of which 51 hrs is OT) billed per week isn't excessive?
    Depends. I'd crunch the numbers. Is the OT payout more expensive than hiring a second body and the benefits package I'd have to give an additional body? Is the OT something that's consistent and steady, or does it ebb and flow? What's the five year picture, because the worst nightmare is hiring someone and then trying to fire them without cause later because of bad planning? And lastly, do I have authorization to hire another body or are my hands tied when it comes to headcount?
    Of course I'm sure with with all your infinite wisdom and dissecting ability surely you can figure it out?
    Nah, no wisdom here. Just business experience and common sense.
    The bottom line is "lack of planning doesn't consitute an emergency on my behalf".
    Ah, but it will be an emergency on your behalf when you get wheeled into the ER at 3am and bleed out because someone put a freeze on overtime as "waste, fraud, and abuse."

Could be bad management, could be good management, could be restricted management. Knee jerk reactions of calling OT "abuse" without knowing more about the problem is just lazy is all.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
      Depends. I'd crunch the numbers. Is the OT payout more expensive than hiring a second body and the benefits package I'd have to give an additional body? Is the OT something that's consistent and steady, or does it ebb and flow? What's the five year picture, because the worst nightmare is hiring someone and then trying to fire them without cause later because of bad planning? And lastly, do I have authorization to hire another body or are my hands tied when it comes to headcount?

Nah, no wisdom here. Just business experience and common sense.

Ah, but it will be an emergency on your behalf when you get wheeled into the ER at 3am and bleed out because someone put a freeze on overtime as "waste, fraud, and abuse."

Could be bad management, could be good management, could be restricted management. Knee jerk reactions of calling OT "abuse" without knowing more about the problem is just lazy is all.

For fun, we've run the math. It's cheaper to pay overtime than it is to hire another employee. Those of you in the know can show why, although in my case, it isn't for lack of willingness on my employers part. I work in a critical service environment. We have minimum staff requirements, and skilled employees in my field are hard to find, and guess why? Across the industry, in my field, state employees make significantly less than the private industry.

But I digress.

Comment

7011USMC, in most budgets that require 24 hour manning, overtime is built in. You will never get away from overtime if you're required to have manning 24/7.

LE, corrections, health care ect, it's easier and wiser to pay out overtime or see a loss in service or a loss in accreditation.

I work for a state government, and rarely does the media include the finer details of the reproted situation.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
          7011USMC, in most budgets that require 24 hour manning, overtime is built in. You will never get away from overtime if you're required to have manning 24/7.

LE, corrections, health care ect, it's easier and wiser to pay out overtime or see a loss in service or a loss in accreditation.

I work for a state government, and rarely does the media include the finer details of the reproted situation.
          Right. It's easier to just make a "shocking" headline and get people outraged. OT vs Hiring both have their pros and cons. I'm not sure if anyone can definitively say which is cheaper. There's too many factors you just can't predict.

For the record, I've been authorized 40 OT hours over the course of the summer for upgrade projects. But my agency is self funded, so don't worry.

With regard to the topic, I've been fortunate enough to have a cooperative employers, both in my previous private sector job and my current on state govt.
          Last edited by SteveLord; September 6th, 2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

You know you would also think that a goverment job would be much more safer for a reservist then a private sector job.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
              You know you would also think that a goverment job would be much more safer for a reservist then a private sector job.
              It is safer. Who said it wasn't? Nobody in government ever gets fired unless they commit a crime worthy of front page news!

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg

You don't think 51 hours a week of OT isn't excessive? Ah bureaucrats.....lead the way!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                  Nobody in government ever gets fired unless they commit a crime worthy of front page news!
                  I think those days are dying down with the economy the way it is. Folks working for government have jobs that are safer, but they're not bullet-proof like in the old days.

Might depend on the local situation, but out here in California, we've had firemen and deputy sheriff's getting downsized, which used to be unheard of. Things may go back to the ways of old as the economy improves. I'll be curious...

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
                    I think those days are dying down with the economy the way it is. Folks working for government have jobs that are safer, but they're not bullet-proof like in the old days.

Might depend on the local situation, but out here in California, we've had firemen and deputy sheriff's getting downsized, which used to be unheard of. Things may go back to the ways of old as the economy improves. I'll be curious...
                    Yes, but I was talking specifically about being fired.

Comment

Is it really to much trouble to give off one weekend a month and two weeks a year?

I can personally vouch that the Guard commitment is well beyond this. I was often on orders for 30 days at a clip, for a total of about 120 days in addition to my Drills/AT. I certainly felt bad for my employer, but luckily they were nothing but supportive of my service and worked with me on every issue.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea if we made a thread of Guard friendly jobs and employers who are supportive of the National Guard!

Comment

I think it would be a good idea if we made a thread of Guard friendly jobs and employers who are supportive of the National Guard!
                          There are a lot of sites that have done just that. It might be worthwhile to just reference those resources, since they have pretty lengthy lists of companies that have had multiple recommendations and have stood up to analysis.

I know that GI Jobs has a list of the most Guard/Reserve-friendly companies. They also have some handy tips for how to civilian-ize your military duties for a resume (a topic of discussion on this site lately) and some other handy tools.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                            I can personally vouch that the Guard commitment is well beyond this. I was often on orders for 30 days at a clip, for a total of about 120 days in addition to my Drills/AT. I certainly felt bad for my employer, but luckily they were nothing but supportive of my service and worked with me on every issue.
                            Come on now...unless your prepping for a MOB, you would only be put on orders like that if you wanted to be. What was all this extra mandatory time?

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...wed-to-ask-you

Comment

Out of curiosity, why this article? Nothing in it about not being allowed to ask if you're a veteran...

Comment

Working...
                                X