X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airborne Question

I know...I know...this board is full of airborne school questions. don't get angry, I really believe I have read every post on here related to Airborne school and then a lot on other boards. I just wanted some clarification/confirmation that I have my facts straight. First, a little background info on me. I recently swore in as an 11b here in Georgia. I signed a one year contract(because my ship date is in January) and I will go back in October to sign my final official contract. (a little confusing but that's my understanding)I asked for an airborne slot if it was available. The job title of the slot I am filling is Infantry-Pathfinder and I will be assigned to troop c/180th cav. I was told that this is an airborne slot and that I will go to airborne school after I finish OSUT. Nowhere in my contract does it say anything about Airborne school so I signed the contract knowing that I may never see Airborne school. The contract clearly says that anything anyone has promised is void, only contract is valid etc. So even if I never see airborne school I am fine with it because my decision to joined the Guard was based on more than the possibility of airborne school. So finally to my questions.

1.From my reading it seems the most likely scenario is that after i finish OSUT, it will be up to my unit to decide whether to send me to airborne school if they have a slot, yes?

2. The other possibility is to volunteer during basic,high PT scores etc, but this possibility seems to be less likely for ARNG soldiers?

3. Also when I go back should I asked them to put airborne in my new contract?(I have read that ARNG can't put airborne in your contract)

4. Lastly, should I ask (if possible and a slot is open) to be assigned to the 121 infantry (LRS)? because from what I understand this is the only airborne unit here in GA. I still think that it will be up to my unit about airborne school, correct?

ANY Information,Facts,Thoughts,Musings,Interpretations ,Views,Opinions,Feelings,
    Rumors,Hearsay,Speculations or even half-truths on my situation would be much appreciated. Heck, if you even read half of this long post, thank you for your time.

Re: Airborne Question

I just wanted to say I read all of it. I dont have any answers though. lol Good luck! And not saying you havent been, but be patient, someone will answer your questions, they just have a life and arent on here all of the time.

Comment

You seem to be tracking in the right direction. The worst they can do is tell you No, when you resign.

The LRS unit is a Airborne unit, whether you get ABN directly out of OSUT or not, in LRS you will get that school.

On getting ABN set up for you while at OSUT, is kinda a big hoop to jump through. You are National Guard, so you mainly work off State funding, while your active duty battle buddies work off Federal funding. It is much harder to do this because of two different pots of money. Can it be done? Yes, but its more difficult to get a Guard guy in while in OSUT.

Just stick with it, and be sure do keep with your recruiter about trying to make this happen. Good Luck

Comment

At FLW, the local liason for ARNG said she had some airborne slots for those who scored over 300 on their PT tests. This may not be the case at Benning, or if it is the competition is likely a lot stiffer.

If you want to be airborne, focus on your PT and motivation. If they see you're good enough to fill the slot, they'll be more likely to drop you in it.

Comment

thank you for your replies. FLW? Fort Lewis Washington right? I will definitely ask about the LRS unit because that seems my best shot at airborne school. Otherwise I will strive for high pt. scores and hope for the best. thanks again.
          Last edited by Newberry177; August 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Ah no, Fort Leonard Wood. Work hard and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T
              At FLW, the local liason for ARNG said she had some airborne slots for those who scored over 300 on their PT tests. This may not be the case at Benning, or if it is the competition is likely a lot stiffer.
              My Senior DS at Ft. Benning laughed at me (literally) when I asked about qualifying for ABN while at BCT. He told me he wasn't a ****ing recruiter, and if anybody else asked any stupid *** questions like that, he would **** their world up.

true story.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D
                My Senior DS at Ft. Benning laughed at me (literally) when I asked about qualifying for ABN while at BCT. He told me he wasn't a ****ing recruiter, and if anybody else asked any stupid *** questions like that, he would **** their world up.

true story.
                Just for the record. DS's always say stupid stuff like that about everything. Who cares how they say yes or no. Just ask.

Comment

When your at OSUT, an NG Laison will come down and talk to your company. Usually NG gives 2 ABN slots to top PT studs, if you can't get ABN, Air Assault can also be possible, all you gotta do is ask, and dont be a turd bag. - Roger

Comment

Originally posted by azIce
                    Just for the record. DS's always say stupid stuff like that about everything. Who cares how they say yes or no. Just ask.
                    hahaha true, that is your average "no."

Comment

Interesting. Seems like the NG liaison is the person to ask....and the DS probably not....unless I'm feeling like some push-ups. I guess ya never know till' ya ask. Hopefully, since I'm shipping in January there will be some open slots. I heard ROTC take most of the summer slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Newberry177
                        Interesting. Seems like the NG liaison is the person to ask....and the DS probably not....unless I'm feeling like some push-ups. I guess ya never know till' ya ask. Hopefully, since I'm shipping in January there will be some open slots. I heard ROTC take most of the summer slots.
                        Just so you're aware the NG liason I dealt with at 30th is former AD and DS. He is a douchebag, but usually will help you if you are squared away. He is now the NG liason at airborne school. I sware he shouldn't be an NG liason. I'm pretty sure he hates being NG and doesn't care much for anyone in the NG.

Comment

Well that's encouraging.... No, even if it isn't the best news, the more information I learn the better off I'll be. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I just got notified today that one of my soldiers at AIT at Ft Lee is now going to Airborne school because he scored a 329 on his final APFT.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                              I just got notified today that one of my soldiers at AIT at Ft Lee is now going to Airborne school because he scored a 329 on his final APFT.

Is he a 92Y or a 92R? That tends to be the major AIT schools there.

Comment

Working...
                              X