Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Army National Guard or Marine Reserves?

As someone stated earlier, the USMC-R and NG are two totally different animals. I come from a loooong line of proud jarheads, yet I wear the ACU. What got me here was the dual-ownership of the guard. Serving both state and federal can keep you busy.. plus you get the benefits from both.

On the flip-side, you tell someone you are a Marine and well, the reaction is pretty much universal... somewhere between awe and hero-worship. Not that they are better than any soldier, they just have a whole different mentality when it comes to training, mission capabilities and grit.

To succeed, we need both. I would gladly put up any of our 11B's against one of thier 0311s. However, when the fight is done, the 11B has the support and infrastructure to maintain while the 0311 usually calls in the Army.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
      I found the army 2 miler to be harder than the marine 3 miles. The pace I have to run a 2 mile run at for the army requires a lot more push and when I give it my all I get sick after the run.

The pace for the marine corps 3 mile is almost like a distanced fast jog. Now granted i wont be scoring major points on the PT test, but to me it's less phsyically draining. i ran that 5k on Thursday and was more than a minute under the required time for the corps and I was less winded or exhausted than I am after the 2 mile for the army.

give me the 3 miles any day
      I think the biggest difference is in the situps. I could easily bang out over 200 crunches in 2 minutes when I did a PFT in the Marines. If you can drop your shoulders down enough you don't even need to get your back off the ground. It's a gimmie 100 points. In the Army you actually have to do a legit situp.

EDIT: Unless the PFT was for an actual score, in which case I'd stop at 100 and chill for another minute or so.

Comment

Our TAC's told us prior to our APFT for OCS that the marines would fail the situps. He was right. They all failed the situps for the first PT test, but of course, were right on target for the next one. He said it always goes that way the first time and they're right back on target.

Comment

Also I don't know about the rest of you but I find doing pull ups to be way easier to do then push ups.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
            Our TAC's told us prior to our APFT for OCS that the marines would fail the situps. He was right. They all failed the situps for the first PT test, but of course, were right on target for the next one. He said it always goes that way the first time and they're right back on target.
            They must have been sheiot birds then or is lieu of "that guy" the 10%. My glory days in the Corps I never ran 3 miles slower that 21:00 mins always done 80 sit-ups in 2 mins and 20 "dead hang" pull ups.

I remember being at SNCO academy at Camp Hansen 1992; I thought I was in good shape running a 285 to 290 PFT....I was third or fourth from the bottom. By graduation I was in the top 4.

You can run a slow snail pace 3 miler at 27:00 mins and do the minimum across the board. See where that will get you as a NCO/SNCO/OFFICER?

A Effed up fit rep and branded a sheiot bird. You'll get a above average on your rep and it is the kiss of death for your career.

Nothing short of excellent or outstanding you'll never see another "rocker" or be "augmented" into the regular FMF as an Officer. Plus when the "old man" and SgtMaj runs your richard in the ground it is embarrassing to have 40+ y/o Marines kicking your arse in PT.... and trust me you don't want to be on remedial PT and constantly having weekly inventory PFT.

For the "non rates" E-1 to E-3 they will never be a NCO a Average 4.5 on a 5.0 scale. They better score expert BRM (high), 1st class PFT (close be 300 if your competing for that stripe), max points for education......Now they CFT as well they have to pass you better be in the top 10% you'll be left behind.
            Last edited by 7011USMC; July 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

To piggyback off of what 7011USMC stated, every day in the Corps is a competition.

Your hair cut is looked at every day, your appearance, your performance, your effort. If you enjoy a competitive environment, you will thrive in the USMCR. Also, despite the fact you drill 2 days a month, you have to hit the ground running. No excuses that you had class/work the night before, etc.

I loved being a Marine. I was downsized after the first Gulf war. Had that not happened, I'd still be in if I could.

Now, you are seeking advise on a NG forum. The Guard has given me opportunities that I may have never seen in the Corps, active or reserve. I found myself in Egypt within 13 months of enlisting in the Guard. I have volunteered for deployment to Iraq, and just got picked up for an ADT mission to AStan next spring. I'm seeing the world and serving my country as a middle aged man, something I never thought I would do otherwise. I'm continuing my education thanks to the Guard, and can pass my GI Bill benefits to my daughter so she can go to school.

As the Colonel stated earlier, I found the "mystique" of the Marines to my liking. Once you told people you were a Marine, they often didn't ask what you did - they thought that being a Marine WAS the job!

Do what you believe is best for your lifestyle and your education. Years from now I'll speak of serving with both services with equal enthusiasm!

Just don't base your decision on how far either one runs a dadgum PFT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                Guard.
                We have cake.

SOLD. Where do I re up

Comment

Originally posted by 0844
                  Um, yes we can say that. The Marine Corps came into existence on 10 November, 1775 (before the country was formed) by an act of the 2nd Continental Congress and was quite active in the Revolutionary War. Might wanna check your facts before you speak on another branch...especially my beloved Corps .

My apologizes, when I made that post it was late and I didn't pick my words correctly. I meant to speak on longevity, not soley existence prior to the nation. Thank you for correcting me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
                    Once you told people you were a Marine, they often didn't ask what you did - they thought that being a Marine WAS the job!
                    QFE!12804127049

Comment

Originally posted by Vanthyr
                      My apologizes, when I made that post it was late and I didn't pick my words correctly. I meant to speak on longevity, not soley existence prior to the nation. Thank you for correcting me.
                      No prob. Speaking on Longevity, the Guard definitely has the USMC beat.

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
                      To piggyback off of what 7011USMC stated, every day in the Corps is a competition.

Your hair cut is looked at every day, your appearance, your performance, your effort. If you enjoy a competitive environment, you will thrive in the USMCR. Also, despite the fact you drill 2 days a month, you have to hit the ground running. No excuses that you had class/work the night before, etc.
                      Ain't that the truth! Every single formation was just a thinly veiled excuse to play the game "Who's haircut isn't within standards".

Monday, Battalion Formation = haircut Sunday evening
                      Wednesday, Color Guard Inspection = haircut Tuesday evening
                      Thursday, Marine Corps Ball Practice = haircut Wednesday evening
                      Friday, Marine Corps Ball = haircut Thursday evening

Yup, that particular week in November, 2006 I got a fresh haircut more often than I put on a fresh set of cammies.

Comment

Nothing like "field days" on wensday night and inspections on thursday morning; Just to see if you rate "weekend liberty"! I don't care how many times you clean your squad bay or your berthing space theres always a "ghost turd" on deck or c-o-c-k hairs on the s-hi-t-er!

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                          Nothing like "field days" on wensday night and inspections on thursday morning; Just to see if you rate "weekend liberty"! I don't care how many times you clean your squad bay or your berthing space theres always a "ghost turd" on deck or c-o-c-k hairs on the s-hi-t-er!
                          Ahhh, memories. My roommate in the barracks was the battalion NBC chief. We burned a couple CS capsules in the head one time just moments before field day inspection, then shut the door and posted outside our room at parade rest. We thought it was hilarious...Gunny didn't see the humor though. Eh, 48 hours of barracks duty is good for the soul, lol.

Comment

You'll get more financial benifits in the ARMY Guard.

And, you'll do more deploying.

Comment

Look at the end of the day your serving and remember something less then 1 percent of the people in the United States serve so regardless of what branch you join, mos you have, enlisted or officer, you spend 3 years in or 30 years in you've accomplished alot!

Comment

I'd like to thank all you Soldiers and Marines for your prompt and informative replies! I've thought hard about it and I believe the National Guard is the right way to go for me.I'm gonna go talk to the local recruiter as soon as I get the chance.Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X