Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army National Guard or Marine Reserves?

Hello everyone,

I'm undecided as to whether I should join the Army National Guard or the Marine Reserves.I've always wanted to serve my country but for the past two or so years I've been set on the Marine reserves.Now lately since I moved to Utah I've been considering the National Guard as everyone in my family says it's the better choice.

I like the fact that I also get to help my community and state in addition to doing my part for the country.Also they offer more benefits and have way more jobs/units in my area where as the marines only have a LAR unit and an infantry one.However I like the whole Pride thing the Marines got going on with being "The Few and the proud" warrior culture and also my Uncle was in the Marines.I know that after college I'd like to become an officer and maybe even make a career in the military.I'm really undecided as to which branch to choose Any advice?
    Last edited by jc091393; July 6th, 2010, 02:34 AM.

Re: Army National Guard or Marine Reserves?

My decision to chose the Guard was one of many factors. You mention Marine pride. While, I have the utmost respect for our US Marines, how much more pride can you get than joining the only part of the military that's been around longer than the country itself? For me...saying I'm a member of the National Guard (still pending contract- so not quite there yet) means I'm a member of the same group of people that fought off the redcoats and won us our independence. I don't think the Marines can say that.

Benefits---wow benefits. It sounds like your in college...much like myself. National Guard offers some of the best benefits out there. Plus if you do SMP with ROTC they will practically pay you to goto school and also pay for your education as well. Everything you need to know to make a decision is on the respective websites though. Good Luck in choosing your Path to Honor!

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393
      Hello everyone,

I'm undecided as to whether I should join the Army National Guard or the Marine Reserves.I've always wanted to serve my country but for the past two or so years I've been set on the Marine reserves.Now lately since I moved to Utah I've been considering the National Guard as everyone in my family says it's the better choice.

I like the fact that I also get to help my community and state in addition to doing my part for the country.Also they offer more benefits and have way more jobs/units in my area where as the marines only have a LAR unit and an infantry one.However I like the whole Pride thing the Marines got going on with being "The Few and the proud" warrior culture and also my Uncle was in the Marines.I know that after college I'd like to become an officer and maybe even make a career in the military.I'm really undecided as to which branch to choose Any advice?
      If you are joining for a MOS or careerfield which only the Marine Reserves can offer, than I would say join the Marine Reserves, otherwise...

The Guard has way more educational opurtunities and flexibility if you are looking for school money plus the benefit of doing something and serving. When you are done school, if career military is what life has in store for you, Marine Officer Candidate School will still be an option, as will many Army Officer training oppurtunities.

To comment on "the few and the proud", I will try not to knock any other branch of the service, because in the end we are all on the same team, but I see no easier way to say this.....would you buy a Chevy car because they have a really cool commercial, while the Audi was CLEARLY a better choice for your lifestyle? Proabably not. I don't know you from a stranger on the street, but anyone saying that they are wanting to join, wanting to go to college, and considering a military career; cannot go wrong with the guard.

Comment

The biggest selling point to the NG is the avaialbility of units/MOS's in your state. Keep in mind, the NG is larger then the enitre Marine Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanthyr
          My decision to chose the Guard was one of many factors. You mention Marine pride. While, I have the utmost respect for our US Marines, how much more pride can you get than joining the only part of the military that's been around longer than the country itself? For me...saying I'm a member of the National Guard (still pending contract- so not quite there yet) means I'm a member of the same group of people that fought off the redcoats and won us our independence. I don't think the Marines can say that.

Benefits---wow benefits. It sounds like your in college...much like myself. National Guard offers some of the best benefits out there. Plus if you do SMP with ROTC they will practically pay you to goto school and also pay for your education as well. Everything you need to know to make a decision is on the respective websites though. Good Luck in choosing your Path to Honor!
          Um, yes we can say that. The Marine Corps came into existence on 10 November, 1775 (before the country was formed) by an act of the 2nd Continental Congress and was quite active in the Revolutionary War. Might wanna check your facts before you speak on another branch...especially my beloved Corps .

To the OP, you need to understand that the Marines and the Guard are totally different animals and have a very culture. People don't join the Marines for bonuses or benefits, so if that's what you're after (which is perfectly okay) don't join the Marines. You just end up hating life and resenting the Army pukes in your MOS school that got a $20,000 bonus for the exact same MOS that you got nothing for (speaking from personal experience ). The only real and valid reason to join the Marine Corps is because you want to be a Marine. The Guard has better funding, better equipment, more opportunities to go to specialty schools, a WAY better online system (Army Knowledge Online is ridiculously better than Marine Online), more opportunities for movement and flexibility, and a host of other advantages. The only thing the Guard can't offer is the chance to earn the title "Marine". You need to decide if that title is important to you. For me, it was. I joined the active duty Marine Corps and served proudly for 5 years. The only reason I went into the Guard instead of the Marine Reserves after my EAS was because the Marines wouldn't let me retain my rank unless I stayed in the same MOS (artillery). The Guard, as previously mentioned, was much more flexible regarding MOS selection. I'd already done my time and earned the Title, so I crossed into the ACU.

Comment

I certainly won't tell you that joining the USMCR is a bad choice, because it's not. I will, however, point out factual differences between the USMCR and the ARNG.

First, the Guard is literally nine times larger than the USMCR. The authorized end-strength for the USMCR nation-wide is 39,600, whereas the ARNG is authorized 358,200 (we're closer to 360,000 right now, but deliberately decreasing to meet the Congressional limit). This means that you'll have more opportunities in the Guard, both geographically and in career choices.

Second, as a dual-status component, the Guard draws all federal benefits, plus State-specific benefits. You'll always get better benefits in the Guard than in the USMCR (or the USAR, for that matter).

The Marine Corps has a unique mystique, and if that's what appeals to you, go for it. The Guard will be here four years from now when you're done with that, and want to do something else.

Comment

For clarity, the Army National Guard is the successor organization to the colonial militias. Our oldest regiment dates to 1636, and non-regimental history dates back as far as 1607. We are by far the oldest military component in the United States.

http://www.ng.mil/About/default.aspx
              Last edited by matthew.ritchie; July 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                The Army National Guard is the successor organization to the colonial militias. Our oldest regiment dates to 1636, and non-regimental history dates back as far as 1607. We are by far the oldest military component in the United States.
                I know. I googled it before I joined. I was simply pointing out that Vanthyr's statements were incorrect. He didn't say the Guard was the oldest branch. He said it was the only branch which predated the country, and that the Marine Corps did not participate in the Revolutionary War. Both are false statements. In fact, the Air Force is the only [DoD] branch which does not predate the country.

Comment

WRONG. You think it was the French at Yorktown? That was the USAF AC-130, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                    WRONG. You think it was the French at Yorktown? That was the USAF AC-130, baby.
                    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that! They even alluded to that battle in Modern Warfare.

Comment

Marine bootcamp is longer and many say harder if that matters to you. They also have to run 3 miles, running 2 mile *****, 3 must **** worse.

Join the Navy, they only have to run 1.5.

Comment

As some other have pointed out here it was the National Guard which at the time of the American Revolution were the Militia and Continental Army so it was the National Guard that did the fighting in the War of Independence!

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                          Marine bootcamp is longer and many say harder if that matters to you. They also have to run 3 miles, running 2 mile *****, 3 must **** worse.

Join the Navy, they only have to run 1.5.

Well, when your primary job is Infantry above all else, then you better run 3 miles. Active Duty Army soldiers can run the 2mile in 10 minutes easily. Whats another mile?

Comment

Guard.
                            We have cake.

Comment

I found the army 2 miler to be harder than the marine 3 miles. The pace I have to run a 2 mile run at for the army requires a lot more push and when I give it my all I get sick after the run.

The pace for the marine corps 3 mile is almost like a distanced fast jog. Now granted i wont be scoring major points on the PT test, but to me it's less phsyically draining. i ran that 5k on Thursday and was more than a minute under the required time for the corps and I was less winded or exhausted than I am after the 2 mile for the army.

give me the 3 miles any day

Comment

Working...
                              X