Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Afghanistan

Originally posted by Dave-O
    I dont think that 2011 deadline for withdrawal will happen. This thing is too big to just pack it up and go home. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
    Considering I have orders for early 2012 I'd have to say the whole 2011 thing has already been thrown out the window.

Comment

If you look at the fact that 65+ years later we are still in Europe, 60 years later we are still in Korea, 100+ years later we are still in Guam and the Marinanas, and 20 years later we are still in Saudi Arabia, I would say the chances of us leaving "the stan" are slim to none......

Comment

Originally posted by ducks24
        I understand, but ignorance does not come with experience.
        No, it is more closely aligned with inexperience.

edited to add: That statement has a better than average chance of becoming somebody's signature line.

Comment

2020, is when we will end the war in Afghanistan. Give it 10, 10 to win.

That's my educated guess 2 cents.

There's plenty of instability in the world right now, don't worry you have job security.
          Last edited by Chaplain4me; June 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Considering the apocalypse is scheduled to happen in 2012, I don't see the war going to far past that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
              Considering I have orders for early 2012 I'd have to say the whole 2011 thing has already been thrown out the window.
              I think they use words like "ending combat operations by 2011" a lot. They'll be plenty of work afterwards for you and your wrench, don't worry!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                2020, is when we will end the war in Afghanistan. Give it 10, 10 to win.

That's my educated guess 2 cents.
                Is this a serious guess? That would be quite the war. I doubt we'd stay so long in an active conflict.

We'll draw down when we're ordered, as it has been said earlier. I wouldn't concern yourself with the 2011 date, and people are still headed to Iraq even though we're drawing down.

Comment

Originally posted by M-T
                  Is this a serious guess? That would be quite the war. I doubt we'd stay so long in an active conflict.

We'll draw down when we're ordered, as it has been said earlier. I wouldn't concern yourself with the 2011 date, and people are still headed to Iraq even though we're drawing down.
                  Very serious, we will stay until the job is complete. (btw, it's a educated guess )

In asymetrical war, the foe wants you to pack it up and go home, so things can go back to the way they were. We're not going to let that happen.
                  Last edited by Chaplain4me; June 29th, 2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Hey guys don't worry no problem we've got a war with the Iranian Republic coming up so your gonna get something.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
                      Hey guys don't worry no problem we've got a war with the Iranian Republic coming up so your gonna get something.
                      Nothing wrong with dreaming! Unfortunately that would've been nice over 30 years ago when they over ran our embassy and kept our citizens hostage for 444 days....Timing is everything!

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                        Nothing wrong with dreaming! Unfortunately that would've been nice over 30 years ago when they over ran our embassy and kept our citizens hostage for 444 days....Timing is everything!
                        Yes, but lessons learned from Desert One, have helped out and saved more lives since.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
                          In asymetrical war, the foe wants you to pack it up and go home, so things can go back to the way they were. We're not going to let that happen.
                          At 100 dead a month we will. The American public is already tired of this war. I give it till 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                            At 100 dead a month we will. The American public is already tired of this war. I give it till 2015.
                            Pft, since when did the American Public know what they wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                              Pft, since when did the American Public know what they wanted?
                              Since not long after 1776. Or later if you weren't a white Protestant male land owner...

God help us the day the military tells the American Public what they want. I've been to soviet block countries. You can have it.

Comment

My OPINION on Afghanistan is that eventually we will end up staying there permanently similar to the DMZ in Korea. We'll have a FOB similar to Camp Casey set up there and it will no longer be a deployment it will be an assignment. Instead of going to Ft. Hood or Ft. Drum you will go to Camp "whatevertheycallit" and you will stay there for your 2 years or whatever. Who knows for real, but that's my guess. take it for what it's worth. as far as when i think that will happen? can't really say, but it's not in the near future that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X