X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Voucher question

I just got back from an extended TDY that involved a rental car. I have asked three different people at my unit and have received about five different answers on what goes on travel voucher for reimbursement when it came to fuel. Some say just claim mileage, some say just fuel without receipts, some say both, some say only receipts and so on I have also read the travel voucher step by step guide and is does not clarify.

Does anyone know for sure what the right answer is because this is what they have done and not what they have heard?

Re: Travel Voucher question

Originally posted by crimeguy
    I just got back from an extended TDY that involved a rental car. I have asked three different people at my unit and have received about five different answers on what goes on travel voucher for reimbursement when it came to fuel. Some say just claim mileage, some say just fuel without receipts, some say both, some say only receipts and so on I have also read the travel voucher step by step guide and is does not clarify.

Does anyone know for sure what the right answer is because this is what they have done and not what they have heard?
    I'm wondering this myself, having just come off a TDY as well. Last time I did a travel claim was when I was a boot lance corporal just arriving at my first duty station. And I didn't even really do it, my sergeant filled it out while asking me questions.

Comment

Perhaps this will help....

http://www.baseops.net/finance/travelvouchermain.html

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/woun...VoucherWeb.pdf
      Last edited by 7011USMC; June 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

My experience is that authorized expenses less than $75 require no reciept.

So $40 for gas there
        $40 for gas back, etc.

Itemized on your voucher and you will be good. DFAS never gives me any problems. Now if it's ridiculous they'll have some questions for you

Comment

hmm, doesn't it have to be on your orders to collect daily travel vouch?

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
            My experience is that authorized expenses less than $75 require no reciept.

So $40 for gas there
            $40 for gas back, etc.

Itemized on your voucher and you will be good. DFAS never gives me any problems. Now if it's ridiculous they'll have some questions for you

In case anyone was wondering, to a Cadet, 40 + 40 = 75.

Comment

Ohhh but it's Candidate...not Cadet. That means I'm just a slightly more pleasant color of p1ss.

You fail to see the logic young Jedi. If you fill out your 1351-2 and in block 18 "reimbursable expenses", you write:

Gas $80

You require reciepts.

However, if you write:

Gas 6/22/2010 $40
              Gas 6/29/2010 $40

You do not.

Comment

You can only write one voucher per set of orders (atleast our unit can). If you write in 40 and then 40, they will see it as 80 and will reimburse you (if any) 75 dollars.

Comment

Might be a unit thing. how I mentioned it above is how I've done it for a few years. I have trouble holding on to reciepts for small things like gas so I itemize and it goes through fine. Or maybe they're just not strict enough on reviewing my vouchers locally.

Comment

I have some of my gas receipts, missing two so I figure either I submit and claim the four I have or I claim all six purchases and submit 0 receipts. The other confusing thing is I went form TDY in AZ to a TDY in Germany so I am getting voucher cross contamination.......

Comment

Good luck with that. Ive been combatting DFAS all month. They took one voucher with a digital signature after losing it twice, then another voucher was rejected, after losing it three times because it had a digital signature.

Comment

Per the JFTR you do not get reimbursed for gas. That is what you are getting paid .50 cents a mile for. Wear and tear on your vehicle and gas. You can not claim gas. Oh you can put it on there, but you'll never see it paid out!

You can only claim gas, when driving a POV, if you are not getting paid mileage and you are traveling for IADT outside of a normal commuting distance. Or if you are driving a Gov vehicle and put gas in it out of your own pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by SGTHess
                          Per the JFTR you do not get reimbursed for gas. That is what you are getting paid .50 cents a mile for. Wear and tear on your vehicle and gas. You can not claim gas. Oh you can put it on there, but you'll never see it paid out!

You can only claim gas, when driving a POV, if you are not getting paid mileage and you are traveling for IADT outside of a normal commuting distance. Or if you are driving a Gov vehicle and put gas in it out of your own pocket.

OK mileage works for me but for clarification this is for a rental car not a POV so wear and tear on my vehicle does not apply here.

Comment

Originally posted by SGTHess

I didn't get paid mileage, I was driving my POV, and it was 211 miles from my HOR. I can claim gas for that, right? I'm not sure if it was IADT or not, assuming that's initial active duty for training (I had to google it). It was an MOSQ course, because I previously didn't have an MOS in the Army. I suppose that makes it "initial" active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by 0844
                              I didn't get paid mileage, I was driving my POV, and it was 211 miles from my HOR. I can claim gas for that, right? I'm not sure if it was IADT or not, assuming that's initial active duty for training (I had to google it). It was an MOSQ course, because I previously didn't have an MOS in the Army. I suppose that makes it "initial" active duty.
                              When I have drove my POV and they paid mileage no receipts for gas. With looking at other Travel Vouchers involving rental cars receipts were submitted and no mileage. You may want to contact DFAS and find out why that wasn't paid and submit a supplemental.

Comment

Working...
                              X